You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2010-04-20 13:38:57

Fuzzball

Error Reports (several games)

Introducing myself

Hi, I'm Fuzzball. I've been using DeSmuMe for quite a while now and I'd really like to help out making it better. However, I'm not a really big programming whizkid. So all I can really do is test games and report errors.

I searched the forum trying to find solutions or fixes to the games I named, however I couldn't find all the straight questions and / or answers I was looking for. So I figured I'd make a report about it and post it. Hopefully getting the right answer or giving the right information to fix the problem in the next version.

If you guys need game testers to test the software with a specific game. Let me know and I'll gladly help out. Now, on to the actual errors.

Deep Labyrinth

I fired up DeSmuMe and loaded the Deep Labyrinth rom. It ran perfect through the intro and all the way up to the first room with the first part of the story. Then crashed. DeSmuMe completely froze and had to be shut down through Task manager.

I gave up on that one till this morning. Ran the same process again, but with 3d settings to none. It worked fine till the first room thats 3d rendered and I had to turn on OpenGL or SoftRasterizer. Worked fine for quite a while and even ran passed the first crash point.  It crashed about half way through the second level when you meet up with your dog again.

Dragonology

The game works fine until the point where you need to research certain area's with a magnifying glass. It seems like everything is working, but its actually not. The only way to get it to work is by back and fording between the menu screen and hopefully be on the right spot with the magnifying glass.

I glitched my way through this, but I can hardly call it playable.

Hotel Dusk - Room 215

The game is playable although sometimes the touchscreen part goes black or doesn't function. A way around it is to tap the left-hand corner and go into a menu and come back out.

The second problem is that the cinematic screen sometimes goes into a different video mode. Showing scanlines and half baked text. This too is solvable by either going into a menu or restarting DeSmuMe.

Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney (the first one)

The last mission is still not fixed as of yet. I found the forum post so don't worry, I won't go to far into it, but I'd love to see it working. (currently using v0.9.5 x86, with settings as suggested)

In conclusion

I've seen some posts saying "it works in SVN version bla bla bla". However, this isn't of great use to me. Is it possible to compile the latest version and put it somewhere to download? I'd love to testrun things if it helps. Specially games like these I mentioned.

I'll also keep this post updated in case I find something new along the way. It'll make things easier for me to track and for anyone else to find. Instead of having to run through the whole forum.

Kind regards,

Fuzzy

Last edited by Fuzzball (2010-04-20 13:39:19)

#2 2010-04-20 13:54:39

Manivo
Awesome Possum

Re: Error Reports (several games)

The intent is appreciated, however DeSmuME has a project page on sourceforge that includes a bugtracker. That's both the place to check if bugs have already been reported (and fixed) and to post new ones. You can find the bugtracker here; https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=8 … unc=browse

Regarding the SVN - while we don't generally provide support for compiling, the process is very well documented in DeSmuME's wiki. The hardest part of the entire process is downloading the software required for compiling, really.

#3 2010-04-20 14:48:32

Fuzzball

Alright. Thanks for the information. I'll go check on the bugtracker and see what I can find.

About the SVN. I assume its the none-compiled version of DeSmuMe. At least thats what I make from whats posted on the DeSmuMe FAQ wiki. Then shouldn't the software used to write this version also be capable of compiling it? I honestly don't know which software was used cause there's no direct link or information. This is however the only logic I could come up with.

Remember. My experience is limited to C#, Visual Basic and Pascal. So sorry if I'm asking obvious questions or making wrong assumptions.

#4 2010-04-20 14:59:28

Manivo
Awesome Possum

You need to understand that the SVN is updated daily, usually several times a day. Updating a download daily is too much work for something that anyone can do himself. Also consider that there are various ports for DeSmuME, so one would need to update a couple different versions.

Other than nobody wanting to put that much work into it, there's also the point that SVN builds are not considered stable releases, and as such are not suitable for 'general public' release. Following the simple instructions on the wiki on how to compile the SVN yourself is a threshold that seperates those who have the most basic skills of computer use from the 'general public' which, sadly, often doesn't.

If you're serious about helping the project - and it appears that you know how to use a computer and express yourself coherently in english - you're more than invited to follow the steps to compile the SVN and join us on the IRC chat channel.

#5 2010-04-20 18:05:44

Fuzzball

I'll be happy to help out any way I can Manivo. I'll check it all out tomorrow morning and see where I fit in.

Thanks again for the information.

Board footer