You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2009-12-25 01:52:35

spaklicus

Is there a plain version of DeSmume ??

I was wondering if there was a way to compile DeSmume without all the extra crap like filters,cheats, avi recording and so on (just a plain vanilla version like the VBA-m team have started a clean and stripped down version of VBA-m) 
all i am interested in an emulator is compatibility and speed
don't get me wrong it is starting to become a great emulator but lately it is starting to become bloatware
so please dev team how about concentrating on compatibility and speed first then adding all the fancy addons

#2 2009-12-25 04:48:50

nut
Website

Re: Is there a plain version of DeSmume ??

I don't think that's possible. If you want the game to run fast, buy a new computer, or play your game on a  DS. That way you can achieve 60 FPS or even more.

I want to be a programmer.

#3 2009-12-25 05:24:16

zeromus
Radical Ninja

None of that stuff costs you any performance.  The speed hits we take for compatibility and for keeping a comprehensibly clean codebase overwhelm costs from bloatware features by 1000 times or more. 

I will now illustrate the pointlessness of your concerns, simply for the record.

Here I will paste the additional code that happens once a frame to support filters:

switch(currentfilter) {
    case NONE:
    break;

Here I will paste the code that happens once per frame to support cheats:

if (cheats)     cheats->process();

Here I will paste the code that happens once per frame to support avi recording:

if(!avi_file || !avi_file->valid) return;

Now if you feel that we have been negligent in some real way in striking a proper balance between features and performance, then I am all ears. But today, you have picked very poor examples.

#4 2009-12-25 06:37:14

spaklicus

i didn't say any of those cost performance (i know they don't)
I have a fast computer for a start and i suppose i should have given examples e.g
Dragon Quest on the world map runs pretty slow
I suppose i shouldn't have said speed and just said that the compatibility needs to be worked on
the only way i can see negligent is looking through Sourceforge and seeing the bugs that are not fixed up yet from the start of 2009 but the team is not getting paid to do this so i suppose you work on what you want to

#5 2009-12-25 06:59:11

nut
Website

Read the FAQ for the ways to make it runs fast. It's all outlined in the FAQ.

I want to be a programmer.

#6 2009-12-25 11:56:00

battlepope

When you say "I have a fast computer", it really doesn't mean much with regard to DS emulation. Emulating DS hardware will eat up every cpu process it can get ahold of.

Most games experience slowdown of some variety or another when in open-world areas, or scenes with a lot of animation.

With regard to your comment about compatibility, I haven't had any problems running any games with the newest version of the emulator, save for some of the latest titles that make more creative use of the DS hardware and features.

#7 2009-12-25 16:18:05

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Sparklicus, then since your question is not technical, the answer is easier. We work on what we want, not what you want, according to an unpublished schedule which does not necessarily bear any relation to the order bugs appear in the tracker.

Board footer