You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2009-11-15 06:37:14

legend80

Fullscreen support upcoming?

Surprisingly, I didn't find anything really about this. Is this planned for the future? Is this high on the todo list or low? Just wondering...I like to black everything out and see just my games always. That's the last thing about NoGBA I prefer over Desmume - but I'm a Desmume user for life now! This emu has come along way - and once something goes open source, it always takes off! smile Anyway, back to fullscreen option. My vote would be yes to implementing this for sure! Would there be any diffence in speed as well?

#2 2009-11-15 07:38:58

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Fullscreen support upcoming?

as far as i know there is no interest among any of the current windows developers for adding full screen.  it is not fun at all to code.

#3 2009-12-16 05:29:53

legend80

That's unfortunate. I think this is a basic part of any emulator. Oh well, maybe someday. Another reason for this that i just realized is that this would possibly fix the screensaver from kicking on while your playing a game. Or is there another way to disable that with the emulator?

#4 2009-12-16 09:59:15

battlepope

Screen saver shouldn't come on anyway, if you're playing a game there should be input detected right?

also, fullscreen would look awful with the DS's screen configuration/aspect ratios. Maybe on a widescreen monitor with side-by-side screen mode but the aspect ratios would still make it look ugly as hell. I doubt fullscreen would improve the emulator's performance at all either, more likely hinder it. Besides, who likes pixels the size of dimes anyway?

#5 2009-12-16 16:46:52

zeromus
Radical Ninja

This is a religious topic. Some people think it is critical, some people think it is worthless, and programmers think it is a pain in the ass to support and generally also think it is worthless.

#6 2009-12-16 16:59:26

legend80

battlepope wrote:

Screen saver shouldn't come on anyway, if you're playing a game there should be input detected right?

also, fullscreen would look awful with the DS's screen configuration/aspect ratios. Maybe on a widescreen monitor with side-by-side screen mode but the aspect ratios would still make it look ugly as hell. I doubt fullscreen would improve the emulator's performance at all either, more likely hinder it. Besides, who likes pixels the size of dimes anyway?

The size of the DS image and being "fullscreen" have nothing to do with one another.

I'm currently running it vertical as big as it will fit on my screen, so fullscreen will only get rid of my desktop, toolbars, etc. It's just all about the game's image to us fullscreeners, I don't want to see other distracting crap. I just want the game image and black. I want to be immersed. Try watching a TV show on a TV directly in front of another TV that has a movie paused or something...kinda takes away from the experience. Anyway, is there anyway I can cheat to get something like this? Like kill explorer.exe or something?..since it sounds like the devs won't be doing this.

And for some reason, input from gamepads doesn't kill the screensaver. On several different computers and at least 3 emus that I can think of, the screensaver would just pop on no problem after 10-15 minutes even with input from the controller - as if all it cares about is the mouse and keyboard. That's why most emus have a "disable screensaver" option. Is that something I should recommend? Is that an option you think could get added?

#7 2009-12-16 18:50:01

zeromus
Radical Ninja

I think we could fix it reasonably easy to make gamepad input kill the screensaver. You should submit a feature request.

#8 2009-12-16 19:50:22

battlepope

I play with kb/mouse so didn't know about the gamepad thing.

Also, when I see "fullscreen", I think "image takes up the entire screen", regardless of aspect ratios (like with actual PC games). Are you meaning just blacking out everything but the emulator? That's what it sounds like. I think the best you will be able to get (assuming a widescreen monitor) is to set the LCD settings to display side-by-side (view > LCDs layout) and just making the window as large as possible. You'll still only get about 2/3rds screen coverage though, unless you disable aspect ratio lock and then things get wonky.

Either way, zeromus and the faq says it's way way way unlikely as a feature so that's that till someone wants to code it I spose.

#9 2009-12-16 20:07:19

shash
Administrator

It would be rather "easy" to output the image fullscreen, including black bars. For example, on a 1024x768 display, you could have the DS screens 2x, thus filling 512x768 pixels, which would leave 256 pixels lateral black bars. Don't know if anyone is willing to do it, just commenting it's (obviously) doable tongue

#10 2009-12-16 20:33:53

zeromus
Radical Ninja

well i just added a little system for tweaking the window styles and having virtual desmume window styles (popup,alwaysontop) so maybe since you described it that way, i could throw in another one for fullscreen, if the desmume display system acquired the ability to do sidebars

#11 2009-12-17 15:15:22

nut
Website

Yep. The fullscreen mode can only be done if the dev is ready to do it. So now, no fullscreen mode yet, and probably never be, since the FAQ says that it is something you guys hate. But if it is possible, My idea of how it works is put the option under window size called fullscreen mode. The way it works is, like previous commenters suggest, is blacken out other windows and stretch the emulator screen to fit the moniter. But I think that's is very difficult to do, so I don't think it's possible on desmume.

I want to be a programmer.

#12 2009-12-20 17:59:51

legend80

That's for suggesting the sidebar things - that sounds perfect. I'm a widescreen user and only want to play with the 2 screens vertical. So all I need are some sidebar action to fill the screen (the other 2/3s).

I'll put a feature request about having gamepad input killing the screensaver also.

Thanks guys!

#13 2009-12-22 00:14:59

shash
Administrator

I've a coded a tiny bit that does disable the screensaver as a whole, as a menu option, if it's ok i'll commit it (my yearly commit to desmume XD).

#14 2009-12-22 01:17:50

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Sorry, beat you to it. Added fullscreen too, according to your suggestion of just maximizing a window without changing any desktop resolution. Worked out alright.

#15 2009-12-22 07:41:49

legend80

Screensaver disabled and fullscreen?? Unbelieveable guys! Those are 2 things that definetely help polish up what's already the best DS emu out.

Wow, glad I opened this thread now. Thanks so much for this and everything else! Take care!

#16 2009-12-22 11:57:03

shash
Administrator

zeromus: You could have assigned the feature request to you, or at least, closed it when you did the commit, so others don't lose time...

#17 2009-12-22 15:51:43

zeromus
Radical Ninja

I'm sorry, I didn't know there was a feature request.

Board footer