You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2009-12-14 23:45:38

battlepope

OpenGL Vs Softrasterizer

More specifically, I am playing Pokemon Platinum (I know, not again right?)

Admittedly I am only passingly familiar with emulators, but I know enough to understand their basic function and operation - I am somewhat familiar with how technology works. PC Specs are as follows:

DeSmuME 0.9.5 x86 32bit
Athlon64x2 3ghz (6000+)
2gm ram
geforce gtx295
Win7 x32 RC

To the point, in the third gym the puzzle involves navigating rooms in the dark with a flashlight, to find the correct door to proceed. I usually use OpenGL renderer, I seem to get a bit better performance out of the notoriously resource intensive pokemon games with it, and fewer graphics artifacts. However, in this gym, the "darkness" is completely absent. I have attached screenshots demonstrating the issue, same room, first in opengl then softrast. Savestates can be provided upon request, if needed.

3rd_gym_pokeplat_opengl.jpg
3rd_gym_pokeplat_softrast.jpg

Reading the forum and FAQ I am aware that the pokemon games sometimes have "issues". If this is one of them, that is completely understandable, as I have not had much experience with other games to compare with. Not knowing whether this is an emulator issue, an OpenGL issue, or a game-specific issue I thought I would bring it to attention and if it's "one of those things" it's obviously not a huge deal - just didn't want to be "that guy" that stumbles on what might be a bug but doesn't say anything.

Last edited by battlepope (2009-12-14 23:46:43)

#2 2009-12-14 23:56:15

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: OpenGL Vs Softrasterizer

Welcome to desmume. Bouncing between renderers is part of life. Theres even a hotkey for it, try numpad minus. We dont work on the opengl renderer anymore, really. it doesnt support fog. this room uses fog.

#3 2009-12-15 00:07:07

battlepope

Good info, thanks, I had been switching between renders anyway to see if one was clearly better than the other. Now that I know that some functions are unsupported in OGL I will probably just switch to Softrasterizer.

#4 2009-12-15 00:17:07

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Thats the easiest course, but it is reasonable and strategic to switch back and forth. Watch your framerate and look for bugs to know when to switch to softrasterizer. The software rasterizer is even sometimes faster. The openGL renderer is only better than the soft rasterizer in one case, 50% of the time, when it comes to dialog boxes and fonts etc. Occasionally you may find edges of things which are corrupt or GUI layers which are missing or mis-sorted. Each renderer has subtle strengths and weaknesses in that area and it is worth switching to try and fix it. However in the long run the software rasterizer will conquer all.

#5 2009-12-15 00:38:16

battlepope

Again, good advice, if I knew anything about programming I would definitely volunteer my time to help the project. This is the only emulator that I've tried that actually works for most things. I like DS games I just don't like playing them on my DS for whatever reason.

#6 2009-12-15 01:15:36

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Does it have to do with the hand cramps after 30 seconds. Or is it the wee dainty dpad that i have to press with my thumbnail so that it begins to ache after 5 minutes of abuse.

#7 2009-12-15 02:49:55

battlepope

I have rather large hands, so the increasingly small form-factor of the hardware does indeed frustrate. Aside from that, I like being able to play and do other things without having to pause my game, put down the handheld, then pick it up again and resume when I'm ready to go back to it. That's probably the main reason I haven't played through most of my DS games - Pokemon, super robot taisen, I just don't have the attention span to stare at a handheld for hours.

Anyway, good discussion, looking forward to future releases!

Board footer