You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2007-04-28 00:51:29

masscat
Website

Desmume-gtk, Desmume-glade, Linux and Nvidia

If you are running a recent CVS version of desmume-gtk or desmume-glade on a Linux (possibly others) system with a Nvidia based graphics card you may get better performance by running the program with the --gdk-gl-force-indirect option.

The problem is when OpenGL is being used for the 3d emulation and drawing the window. This is the default setup in desmume-glade. With desmume-gtk OpenGL is not used for drawing the window unless you give the --opengl-2d argument. The problem appears to be that the 3D emulation is rendered to an indirect target (off-screen pixmap) and the windows contents is rendered to a direct target and the NVidia driver performs badly in this situation.

The --gdk-gl-force-indirect argument is handled by the gtkGLext library and not interpreted by the Desmume code.

The issue and --gdk-gl-force-indirect argument is noted in the README.LIN file.

If you can suggest a fix or find similar problems on other setups then please post in this thread.

NOTE: on my ATI based system I get poorer performance when using the --gdk-gl-force-indirect option.

#2 2007-04-28 01:04:41

snkmad
Website

Re: Desmume-gtk, Desmume-glade, Linux and Nvidia

Well as posted in the other thread, since the windows port of gtk glade doesnt run with 3d code, i cant test that.
I do run on a Nvidia card, but how am i suppose to pass those options to desmume under windows?

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ / 2Gb DDR2 800Mhz
Geforce 8600GT 256MB / Windows XP PRO SP3
http://desmume.org/compatibility-list/

#3 2007-04-28 15:45:23

masscat
Website

Re: Desmume-gtk, Desmume-glade, Linux and Nvidia

There should not be an issue under Windows (if it compiled) as the windowing system is structure differently to X Window.

The problem is related to X Window's server/client structure. As far as I know, indirect targets are rendered on the server side where as direct targets are rendered on the client side and it is the mix that the NVidia driver does not like.

Board footer