You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2023-03-21 20:40:52

GoatTheGoat

The Classic "Could not get read/write acces to the battery save file!"

The issue is that when I start the game it gives me a warning screen saying that this session wont be saved. I can play the game and press the save button (although it slows down quite a bit when I do) but when I restart desmume the save is gone. The game im trying to play is Pokemon Heart Gold.

I've googled around and found people having this issue a few times, however, none of those solutions seem to have worked. From what I have gathered, it seems that the files that should have been created together with Desmume didnt get created (the batter folder, for example). I have tried manually creating a battery folder and linking it up with the path config, which didnt work. I have also tried reinstalling the game, and opening it from my desktop and from a folder that I have on my desktop. Can anyone help with this issue? There doesnt seem to be an anwser online that has worked for me so far, so I'd greatly apriciate help from people who know what's going on. Thank you in advance :]

#2 2023-03-22 01:29:59

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: The Classic "Could not get read/write acces to the battery save file!"

delete EVERYTHING and download it again. Dearchive desmume to your desktop. put rom in desmume directory. open rom in desmume, save game. It will work. The only reason it's not working for you is that you're using pieces you've already broken by using them elsewhere.

Or else you're using a username with non-latin characters. Never make a username with non-latin characters (or spaces)

#3 2023-03-22 17:37:42

GoatTheGoat

How do i know if its in the archive? Im not sure what parts of my files count as the archive, since I have never seen those words in my files. Am I good to just unzip it in a folder that is on my desktop?
Also, can you elaborate what you mean when you say Desmume directory? I havent seen those specific words when using the emulator before, so would love clarification.
Also thank you so much for the help, really apriciate it : D

Edit: I followed your instructions as much as I could understand, so forgive me for my more than likely errors. Heres what I did;
I downloaded desmume-0.9.13-win64.zip from github (I have windows 10 and my settings says its 64 bits, not sure if thats important to know). I moved the zipped file to a folder I created on my desktop, and unzipped it there, using 7zip. Then I opened Desmume from the folder. It did not create any battery file (or any other file), but it did however create a configuration file called Desmume (the one that is a paper with a cog on it). I then downloaded the ROM and unzipped it in the same folder as I unzipped Desmume, and since I couldnt find a directory, I moved it onto the desmume screen and opened it with desmume. The same error apeared however. I think I have missunderstood you somewhere, so again, forgive me for probably doing it wrong

Last edited by GoatTheGoat (2023-03-22 17:49:54)

#4 2023-03-22 21:25:00

zeromus
Radical Ninja

The steps you wrote should have worked. Therefore your username has non-latin characters or spaces in it. If you post your desmume.ini file I may be able to get some useful clues from it; or perhaps I have fixed the problem since 0.9.13 in a nightly build

#5 2023-03-22 21:34:49

GoatTheGoat

What username are you refering too? The username i chose in pokemon was "Goat" and i dont think i have chosen any username for anything else. The error pops up when i launch the game, even though the game runs fine, so i think its just that the battery and roms files are missing, but i dont know how to get desmume to create them

Edit: The error message does say that i should "ensure that the saveram directory exists" which it does not. Can that be the issue and how do i create one?

Edit 2: wait, do you mean the username on my computer? that is automaticly set to "ägare" as it is the swedish word for owner. If that is the case, how to i change the name of that?

Last edited by GoatTheGoat (2023-03-22 21:41:22)

#6 2023-03-22 22:05:39

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Surprise surprise, wacky character ä.
Use latest nightly build, it may work better.
If not, you have 2 options
1. ask internet how to change/move user profile directory
2. ask internet how to create a directory elsewhere on your computer NOT in the user profile directory (I don't understand why people have such problems with this, c:\poopfart should work just fine) that you actually have write access to and use that instead

#7 2023-03-22 22:09:59

GoatTheGoat

Thank you so much for the help! The nightly build worked! I had no idea the letters in the files had to do with it, so sorry for taking so long to understand, but you were very helpful : D have a wonderfull day!

#8 2023-03-23 22:54:47

zeromus
Radical Ninja

It's hard for computers to handle the funny letters. In the future make usernames containing only A-Z, a-z, and 0-9

Board footer