You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.



#1 2023-03-12 09:41:01

criphob
Member
Registered: 2023-03-12
Posts: 7

Input Issue in Bowsers Inside Story

Hello!

for some reason, when i try to spam buttons quickly, for example when using the Fire Flower Attack, my button presses arent getting detected correctly and are rather getting buffered or completely eaten and i dont know what the problem could be. I tried using different input devices (i.e. xbox controller, ps4 controller, keyboard, mouse) but all have the same result. I have played around with input and video methods and just the settings all together but even under a fresh, new install, the same problems can be seen.

Offline

#2 2023-03-13 05:22:06

zeromus
Radical Ninja
Registered: 2009-01-05
Posts: 6,164

Re: Input Issue in Bowsers Inside Story

that's not normal. are you trying to use frame advance to enter commands at maximum speed or make a TAS?

Offline

#3 2023-03-13 05:51:50

criphob
Member
Registered: 2023-03-12
Posts: 7

Re: Input Issue in Bowsers Inside Story

zeromus wrote:

that's not normal. are you trying to use frame advance to enter commands at maximum speed or make a TAS?

No,  I'm just trying a normal playthrough when i noticed it happening.

Offline

#4 2023-03-13 20:06:15

zeromus
Radical Ninja
Registered: 2009-01-05
Posts: 6,164

Re: Input Issue in Bowsers Inside Story

Then either you don't understand how the game works or your system performance is bad and the game is running erratically. Be sure not to use savestates but rather save in-game frequently and close the emulator, else the game may become internally broken due to emulation bugs or whatever. But I've never heard someone make this complaint before after over a decade of bowsers inside story, so I think it's one of the explanations in my first sentence.

Offline

#5 2023-03-14 05:24:00

criphob
Member
Registered: 2023-03-12
Posts: 7

Re: Input Issue in Bowsers Inside Story

zeromus wrote:

Then either you don't understand how the game works or your system performance is bad and the game is running erratically. Be sure not to use savestates but rather save in-game frequently and close the emulator, else the game may become internally broken due to emulation bugs or whatever. But I've never heard someone make this complaint before after over a decade of bowsers inside story, so I think it's one of the explanations in my first sentence.

I'll see what i can find about this but all i remember doing is rewinding frames and slowing them down whenever i got a level up but I've always saved and restarted my game soon after. So as long as my game file doesn't remember, it shouldn't be a problem, right?

Offline

#6 2023-03-14 19:08:07

zeromus
Radical Ninja
Registered: 2009-01-05
Posts: 6,164

Re: Input Issue in Bowsers Inside Story

that shouldn't be a problem. send me a .dsv near a battle and instructions on how to execute the flower manoeuvre and I'll try it myself

Offline

#7 2023-03-14 19:09:32

criphob
Member
Registered: 2023-03-12
Posts: 7

Re: Input Issue in Bowsers Inside Story

zeromus wrote:

that shouldn't be a problem. send me a .dsv near a battle and instructions on how to execute the flower manoeuvre and I'll try it myself

Alright, can you tell me how i can send it to you? I dont know how

Offline

#8 2023-03-14 19:41:58

zeromus
Radical Ninja
Registered: 2009-01-05
Posts: 6,164

Re: Input Issue in Bowsers Inside Story

You need to find your own way to post files on the internet. I have no clue how people do it. I don't pay attention. I have my own way, you need to find yours.

Offline

#9 2023-03-15 14:45:15

criphob
Member
Registered: 2023-03-12
Posts: 7

Re: Input Issue in Bowsers Inside Story

zeromus wrote:

You need to find your own way to post files on the internet. I have no clue how people do it. I don't pay attention. I have my own way, you need to find yours.

Here is the file. The way i have been testing it is by opening the menu and going into the "Special Attacks" Menu and doing the Demo.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/u2o6i1edmvuds1i/4268+-+Mario+&+Luigi+-+Bowser's+Inside+Story+(Europe)+(En,Fr,De,Es,It).dsv/file

Offline

#10 2023-03-16 04:30:51

zeromus
Radical Ninja
Registered: 2009-01-05
Posts: 6,164

Re: Input Issue in Bowsers Inside Story

Fire flower works fine for me. I can't identify any problem at all. By frame advancing and pressing the attack button every other frame I can even get 4 fireballs onscreen at once. I think you just don't understand how the game works. You realize luigi gets control of the fire power at a certain point and you have to press luigi's button, right?

Offline

#11 2023-03-16 05:16:06

criphob
Member
Registered: 2023-03-12
Posts: 7

Re: Input Issue in Bowsers Inside Story

zeromus wrote:

Fire flower works fine for me. I can't identify any problem at all. By frame advancing and pressing the attack button every other frame I can even get 4 fireballs onscreen at once. I think you just don't understand how the game works. You realize luigi gets control of the fire power at a certain point and you have to press luigi's button, right?

I do yes. I also get excellents every now and again if i press very slowly but i know how fast you can spam that from videos and watching my friends play.
Videos like this: https://youtu.be/psV2VuO8hCs

But as said before, something is eating so many inputs that usually, i don't even get to the part where the ball swaps.

But since my file is working fine for you, I'm just gonna have to assume that it's some hardware issue..

Offline

#12 2023-03-16 05:22:54

zeromus
Radical Ninja
Registered: 2009-01-05
Posts: 6,164

Re: Input Issue in Bowsers Inside Story

Buggy systems can eat inputs, but from keyboard and gamepad both is very unlikely except that it's believable if you notice the game is actually visibly stuttering too. Problems with windows, drivers, etc. can cause that. In that case you may press the button 100 times while it's busy being hung (in an extreme case) or maybe 2 times, and in that case the game will never detect the press and release, and it will never shoot a fireball. Maybe try playing in retroarch which will smoke out different bugs from your windows system and drivers than desmume standalone will (or maybe no bugs at all(

Offline

#13 2023-03-16 05:26:53

criphob
Member
Registered: 2023-03-12
Posts: 7

Re: Input Issue in Bowsers Inside Story

zeromus wrote:

Buggy systems can eat inputs, but from keyboard and gamepad both is very unlikely except that it's believable if you notice the game is actually visibly stuttering too. Problems with windows, drivers, etc. can cause that. In that case you may press the button 100 times while it's busy being hung (in an extreme case) or maybe 2 times, and in that case the game will never detect the press and release, and it will never shoot a fireball. Maybe try playing in retroarch which will smoke out different bugs from your windows system and drivers than desmume standalone will (or maybe no bugs at all(

I have tried retroarch and melonds, both not working so I'm probably just going to abandon ship, drop win11 and eventually get a clean install of win10, hoping that'll fix it.

Since you've verified that my file isn't the problem and i have witnessed visual glitches before, i thank you for your efforts and will figure out how to close this thread.

Offline

#14 2023-03-16 06:42:14

zeromus
Radical Ninja
Registered: 2009-01-05
Posts: 6,164

Re: Input Issue in Bowsers Inside Story

That's funny, thanks for reporting your issues persist in melonds and retroarch. Gaming on windows PCs is a *(@#ing shitshow, man. I'm running windows 7 here. Standing strong. Join me, brother. They can't break what you don't allow to update.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB