You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2023-03-08 21:29:46

samjr

Switch Pro Controller Problems

Hi,

I am having trouble using my Switch Pro controller with the emulator. I have launched it through Steam and it is detected; that is not the issue; the problem is when I go to configure the controls, it goes nuts and starts inputting buttons I am not pressing. This essentially means it is not useable because the keybinds are not right. Here is a clip of what I am talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f44LvDhpIpc

Any help is much appreciated. I do not have another controller I can swap out, but what I can say is that my Switch Pro controller works fine elsewhere and I appear to have this problem exclusively when using DesMuMe. My version is 0.9.12. Thanks!

Last edited by samjr (2023-03-08 21:38:07)

#2 2023-03-09 02:49:46

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Switch Pro Controller Problems

Nobody knows why this happens. These rumors have been driving me crazy for years. I can't make it happen, myself. If you want to be a hero, you can find a programmer, install visual studio, and debug it. If you can repro it outside of steam, that would help simplify matters (maybe 100% of people with this problem have been launching it through steam and none of them ever told me, that's just how it is sometimes). I think what's happening is that we're turning input commands to WM_USER+X messages some other junk on the system is sending those, too. I would blame hotkey managers and stuff, but steam's involvement is interesting. That's just the kind of thing that would do it. Now that I type all this out, it makes me wonder if we could put some kind of a "cookie" in the WM_USER messages that no other program would know to do. Can you download a "nightly" build and see if the problem repros there (with and without steam)? If you can repro on a nightly build then I'll push a commit that does the "cookie" thing and we'll see if it fixes it.

#3 2023-03-09 05:00:55

chrisdip55

Can confirm I'm also having the same problem with my Switch Pro controller. I initially tried doing everything with DeSmuMe launched normally, and then launching it via Steam, same problem both times. So it's not a Steam issue, but Steam didn't help or change anything else either. I don't do any programming, so I can't speak to any of the programming related suggestions above.

#4 2023-03-09 19:03:46

zeromus
Radical Ninja

how do you people connect your pro controller to windows PC? I have never found a bluetooth dongle that actually works and I don't feel like ruining a machine by installing crappy bluetooth drivers or strange 3rd party gamepad drivers, but if it works connected by USB I might could do it in a VM and pass through the USB. I would still rather wait for one of you to confirm you can run nightly builds and then try my blind fix first, though

#5 2023-03-12 04:01:03

chrisdip55

I use the USB-B -> USB-C charging cable that came with the controller to connect it, and yeah it works seamlessly with Steam that way. Again, I’m no programmer, so I don’t really know what I’m talking about, but from what I’ve seen in the DeSmuMe control settings window and in a few different games on Steam, the controller seems like it’s constantly sending some kind of status update to whatever program is using it, and those messages are getting read as valid controller inputs for the purposes of remapping controls. No idea if that’s correct or helpful but from a layman’s perspective that appears to be where the issue lies, so for those more capable than myself feel free to use that information in any way you can!

#6 2023-03-13 20:03:44

zeromus
Radical Ninja

This device sends nonsense to windows. run joy.cpl and check it out. There's nothing we can do about that.

#7 2023-03-14 20:10:20

chrisdip55

I'm not familiar with what joy.cpl is, but I guess if there's no fix for it then that's that.

#8 2023-03-15 03:26:38

zeromus
Radical Ninja

get familiar with it. Use a tool called "google".

#9 2023-12-12 06:17:11

HappyMamaCow

I'm not sure why this works, but I don't run it through steam at all, but whenever I play wireless it seems to work completely fine. I don't have an answer for it corded. I'm sorry for the people in the forum for being extremely nasty for you asking for help for no reason. One of them is implying they are a dev for DesMume and they should be ashamed of themselves for going completely overboard for you asking a simple question. I guess they are just upset they lack the coding skills every other emulator develeper has, and need to compensate by taking their anger out on other people looking for help. Very unprofessional. Hope you have a nice day. Again sorry people were toxic to you for asking for help with something, then asking you to solve the problem while being as nasty as humanly possible about it. That just makes people not want to support your product. Negativity never gets us anywhere. big_smile

Last edited by HappyMamaCow (2023-12-12 06:18:32)

Board footer