You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2023-02-13 01:03:44

jalaxy84

game freezes after loading state

i loaded a save of pokemon storm silver and the game just froze where I saved it. when I reload the game it doesn't work aswell. i also tried saving another state on the frozen save but it doesn't work. i didn't change anything.

#2 2023-02-13 02:54:28

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: game freezes after loading state

1. Storm silver is a hack, and it's not supported. For all I know it's added bugs that freeze the game.
2. It's based on soulsilver, which is known to be a buggy game, freezing eventually after playing too long with savestates
3. You're using an old version of desmume which doesn't have the workarounds which mitigate the bugs.
4. You're using savestates, despite the sticky on this form linking to a faq which probably tells you 100 different ways not to use savestates, and the 10,000s of posts on the internet warning you this will happen if you use savestates.

I think that's everything. Have fun playing UNSUPPORTED GAME, ON A NEW VERSION OF DESMUME, WITHOUT USING SAVESTATES.

#3 2023-02-13 03:37:34

jalaxy84

zeromus wrote:

1. Storm silver is a hack, and it's not supported. For all I know it's added bugs that freeze the game.
2. It's based on soulsilver, which is known to be a buggy game, freezing eventually after playing too long with savestates
3. You're using an old version of desmume which doesn't have the workarounds which mitigate the bugs.
4. You're using savestates, despite the sticky on this form linking to a faq which probably tells you 100 different ways not to use savestates, and the 10,000s of posts on the internet warning you this will happen if you use savestates.

I think that's everything. Have fun playing UNSUPPORTED GAME, ON A NEW VERSION OF DESMUME, WITHOUT USING SAVESTATES.

is there a way to get my saves back? I've had like 10 hours or smth in it

#4 2023-02-13 03:55:24

zeromus
Radical Ninja

If you're using a new enough version of desmume (probably not) then it created backups in the StateSlots directory. If you are using backup software on your PC to protect yourself from making mistakes and saving over your documents by giving you access to versions, you could use that. Otherwise, no: the game froze and you saved over it.

You may also try deleting all your cheats. It's possible you've entered a cheat that freezes every save as soon as it loads.

You haven't really described the situation very well, so I can only guess. I actually have no idea whether you're using in-game saves or savestates, or where it's "freezing" or what that looks like.

#5 2023-02-13 04:01:52

jalaxy84

zeromus wrote:

If you're using a new enough version of desmume (probably not) then it created backups in the StateSlots directory. If you are using backup software on your PC to protect yourself from making mistakes and saving over your documents by giving you access to versions, you could use that. Otherwise, no: the game froze and you saved over it.

You may also try deleting all your cheats. It's possible you've entered a cheat that freezes every save as soon as it loads.

You haven't really described the situation very well, so I can only guess. I actually have no idea whether you're using in-game saves or savestates, or where it's "freezing" or what that looks like.

I am using save states and it hasn't done that before. it loads into the save state position but i cant move or press anything.

#6 2023-02-13 04:07:11

jalaxy84

i also dont have any cheats

#7 2023-02-13 20:54:12

zeromus
Radical Ninja

"it loads into the save state position but i cant move or press anything."
That's because you saved the state when you were stuck, or because you changed desmume versions and tried to load states from a different version. Find old versions of your states or start over making more backups

#8 2023-02-15 09:40:57

jalaxy84

zeromus wrote:

"it loads into the save state position but i cant move or press anything."
That's because you saved the state when you were stuck, or because you changed desmume versions and tried to load states from a different version. Find old versions of your states or start over making more backups

ok thx, would the game still have audio be any good news to recover it?

#9 2023-02-15 10:45:21

zeromus
Radical Ninja

maybe. if you can walk blind to a save point.

also you should try just loading the savestate and closing the emulator, then opening it again and loading the in-game save. the in-game save which was most recent (I hope you were saving...) should be what you can load from the game's file menu

Board footer