You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2019-12-20 01:42:12

gsdelarosa

time-based events not working properly in pokemon HeartGold

I'm emulating Pokemon HeartGold, i've have had no trouble running and playing the actual game, but certain date-based events aren't working properly for me.

Specifically i'm not able to buy evolution stones from the pokeathlon, the items do change daily as intended, but the game tells me that i've already bought an item even though i haven't and doesn't let me buy it again, i suppose that the game asumes i've changed the time/date of the DS/PC so even though the stock of the items changed i'm not allowed to buy multiple items to prevent an exploit, but the thing is that i have NOT messed with the time/date of my PC at all, i haven't changed a single time since starting the ROM.

This also affects Kurt's apricorn balls, i gave him some apricorns to turn into pokeballs and supposedly he gives them to you in 24 hours after giving him the apricorns, but several days have passed (almost a week) and Kurt has not finished making the apricorn pokeballs that i gave him, i think this is the same issue as the pokeathlon, where the game prevents you from obtaining the items if you changed the date/time of the system since you started the event, but again i have not messed with the date or the time of my PC so i have no idea what caused this and how to fix it.

Weirdly enough the ingame dates and time actually matches the time and date of my pc, the day/night cycle works fine, i can get calls from the daily trainers in the pokegear and battle them, and the bug catching contest does happen on the intended days, which just confuses me even more, why do certain time/date based events do happen while others do not, i can't seem to figure it out.

I have looked around for answers but i've found nothing that works, so i made an account here to ask this. (ps; if anyone knows where to find a fire stone before beating the johto elite 4 aside from the pokeathlon please tell me :c )

Last edited by gsdelarosa (2019-12-20 01:45:27)

#2 2019-12-20 18:27:22

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: time-based events not working properly in pokemon HeartGold

Most likely explanation is that you don't understand how the game works. Every time someone complains about something like this, that's the problem, whereas we have no evidence the timekeeping based on your PC is wrong. I should add though that from the point of view of the game, using an emulator could trigger any detection about messing with the date or time. System clocks can actually set themselves backwards if the clock on the motherboard runs too fast.

#3 2019-12-24 02:59:11

fintogive
Website

intresting...  well  imo i would just use some ar codes to get the said items your wanting till a possible fix happens.  if its a desmume issue.  did you try it on another computer?

#4 2020-05-24 16:16:27

Moonraker

gsdelarosa,

I'm not sure if you're still trying to solve this problem, but I was having the same problem (although with a ROM hack of Heartgold) and found a solution. The problem seems to still be the anti cheating measures that the ROM has, so even if you did not change the time it might still think you did. For me, this was preventing Kurt from finishing balls, the bug-catching contest from starting (just got a message saying "The contest of already over for today"), and apricorns from regrowing. I tried the method for reseting time events when you would mess them up on a normal DS and it worked.

Solve the problem by setting your computer's time to a few minutes before midnight (so 11:58pm or something like that) and then pull up desmume and start the game. Let the game run with the save loaded and the emulator unpaused until it rolls over to a new day (past midnight) and everything should reset. After you confirm that everything works, save! I'd also do a quick save state. Although save states are not supported with Pokemon games on desmume, I've found a save state saving my butt more than once. After this, reset your computer to the correct time and you should be good to go!

This worked for me last night, but I have not don't enough testing to know the limits to this method of reseting the day cycles. For example, can you use this method to trick the game repetitively to speed up events without issues or glitches. I'll reply to this thread if I have more information.

#5 2020-05-28 16:15:17

Moonraker

Quick edit to the previous post. It seems that as long as the clock on the emulator rolls over to the next day, aka, play the game past midnight or just reset your computer's clock time and then set it back, the time events work. So to get the time based events to work you just need to have the game running when midnight hits.

Board footer