You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2019-03-01 08:02:09

fintogive
Website

Desmume optimisation to run closer to the DS cpu threashhold?

i know desmume is known for being slow via emulation  but  i noticed even when setting every thing to its lowest setting with and without frame skip set to 1  high poly scenes or when there alot of action going on, the game slows way down on desmume.  but on actual DS hardware i dont have this issue  and if i do its usually pretty minor like a few hiccups for example.  desmume is like a guy taking a long belch sometimes.

So can desmume be further optimizes to better match the DS hardware limitations?

also this is using softrastriser and open gl 3.2  the performance is the same.

Last edited by fintogive (2019-03-01 09:41:44)

#2 2019-03-01 17:39:11

rogerman

Re: Desmume optimisation to run closer to the DS cpu threashhold?

Sigh... OF COURSE DeSmuME could be further optimized, just like every other piece of software that exists out there.

I don't think you appreciate how fast DeSmuME actually runs at this point. As of the current commit git#4281747, DeSmuME handily beats ALL other NDS emulators in terms of performance in all areas (yes, this includes even No$GBA!), with the exception of DraStic. And even with DraStic, the performance difference is about 10%-30%. So while this difference is significant, this should not be a problem at all if you are running DeSmuME on any PC since, say, 2012.

fintogive, do you have any specific examples that are slowing down too much for you? What game? In what scene? Running DeSmuME on what hardware?

I have a sneaking suspicion that you are running your performance tests incorrectly, and thereby getting poor results from the settings that you're using.

#3 2019-03-01 17:41:22

zeromus
Radical Ninja

I think he's talking about overall emulation timing and slowdown in some games which doesnt match slowdown on the nds, but as with the other thread he posted in today, he can't be arsed to give details such as WHICH GAME and WHICH SCENE

#4 2019-03-01 22:21:12

fintogive
Website

its of mkds  i play other games too but its 90% always mkds lol.  i'll get a video of a side by side comparison example posted later.  and i do appreciate it  but i didn't know it was the fastest emulator.   anyways im at work  i'll get you a video when i get home using default settings.  i only report cause i want desmume to be the best.  it has a lot of features that no other emulator offers.  i see many emulator that are sometimes half arsed  and then abandoned.  my goal is to report every bug i see before all interest in working on this project is lost. even if they are minor.

and zeromus. the last topic doesn't need a game to show whats going on.  i'll post a screen shot on that too to show you what it is doing.

#5 2019-03-02 05:33:48

fintogive
Website

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RWK3CkufrU
there watch this.  i did this on a 9900k and a fx 8370  results are exactly the same.  this is on default setting no codes too.

#6 2019-03-02 07:12:40

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Like i said, overall emulation timing. No, we won't be fixing this any time in the near future. Nobody has any idea how to make emulation timing work like the real system and it can't be done in desmume without a deep level of attention from someone passionately dedicated to it to spend months testing and tweaking while keeping track of all the 1000s of COMPATIBILITY regressions which will occur in an effort to nudge the timing closer to reality for some other games

#7 2019-03-02 07:41:39

fintogive
Website

you have said that about many thing on desmume and they have been fixed since then  (like the open gl fine Z or Y ordering bug for example).  weather it happens or not i like to think optimistically about it.

#8 2019-03-02 20:11:58

zeromus
Radical Ninja

I'm sorry I used up all my superlatives earlier; I should have saved them for describing the remoteness of THIS possibility. I can't believe any Y ordering bug has been fixed though, except on accident, which I would have always said was possible.

#9 2019-03-03 00:44:59

fintogive
Website

at least i think positively that there is a remote chance it can be improved.  Nothing is impossible with coding, hacking and programming.  if i remember your wording correctly about the fine Y ordering bug was "don't hold your breath that might never get fixed  it would take months of some one dedicating them self's to testing how the 3d works for the ds" i may not know the code of desmume but saying desmume code is garbage or, no that feature wont ever happen or,  just putting it off or getting frustrated with peoples bug reports and features doesn't fix the code or make it better.  i hate to say this but being negative never fixes anything.

Board footer