You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2018-09-23 05:26:50

fintogive
Website

volume control doesnt pass over to avi dumped video.

i noticed the volume can blare out slightly on some games so i turn it down in the emulator but the volume turning down doesn't pass over to dumping avi (and possibly wav dumping).  can this be fixed?

Last edited by fintogive (2018-09-23 05:31:25)

#2 2018-09-23 05:28:49

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: volume control doesnt pass over to avi dumped video.

no. it will never be changed. reduce the audio levels in postprocessing.

#3 2018-09-24 02:26:45

fintogive
Website

Blared out audio cant be fixed in post.  it has to be fix in the emulator.  if you arnt going to put the effort into fixing it could you at least lower the master default volume slightly (like 10%) so that it doesn't blare out.    i personally dont care if it has a volume control  but i do care if the audio sounds bad in games that have higher volume than others.  most game in desmume peak at 100% and more in the red on premier pro  and other video editing software.

Last edited by fintogive (2018-09-24 02:27:39)

#4 2018-09-24 03:51:10

rogerman

"Blared out audio"? What are you talking about?

DeSmuME's SPU emulation simply outputs the internally mixed audio to the client app in 44.1kHz 16-bit stereo. If the sound is clipping or otherwise sounds "bad", then that is DeSmuME faithfully emulating the game's bad sound. There is no way around this -- you are getting exactly what the game is outputting. I also know that the sound interpolators and sound synchronizer DO NOT affect the sound amplitude. If the game programmers did proper testing, then they would never allow the audio from their games to clip under normal circumstances. According to my testing, I've never heard any game's audio actually clip.

fintogive, I think you need to be more specific about your problem. Is this a problem of the sound quality itself? Or is it excessively loud audio levels that are apparently reducing your sound quality? If it's the latter, then you might want to check your audio equipment to see if they can handle the SPL. Or perhaps you might be using a special audio recording driver that is throwing your system out of whack.

Another thing is that the audio level detector in most video editing software tends to run very conservative. In reality, it doesn't matter if Premier Pro's audio level indicator constantly runs in the red -- just as long as the audio doesn't clip, you're fine. Again, I've never heard any game's audio actually clip, but if you've heard it, I'd like to know which game is doing it so that its behavior can be documented.

#5 2018-09-24 11:04:52

fintogive
Website

ive heard it slightly clip in mario kart ds  its not bad but since you say its how the game is programmed then ill simply use/make AR codes to lower the audio output since all games follow the same hex values for audio output.  my original thoughts was to make the audio output for wav and avi dumps respond to the use of the volume slider control in the sound menu on the emulator. but thats not how desmume works. Why does the audio slider in the emulator exist anyways?  since it doesn't respond with the use of avi/wav dumping and the computer has its own volume control it appears to be an uneeded control.

#6 2018-09-24 11:43:04

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Windows XP computers don't have mixing levels for each process.

It's possible we haven't emulated every detail of the hardware volumes perfectly. I'd say it's just about as possible the game accidentally clips sometimes maybe at the loudest possible point. But nobody can do anything about it as long as only you know what you're talking about.

Board footer