You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2015-11-24 00:20:17

fintogive
Website

Dump models and textures to object and png files?

It would be a nice feature for homebrew, porting and custom stuff.   like that plug in for the n64 emulator that dumps the models and textures from the data that is currently decrypted in the ram.

#2 2015-11-24 01:06:27

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Dump models and textures to object and png files?

Texture dumping will be coming eventually as part of the HDing project.

Model dumping has no place in an emulator. You can't make sense out of it without game- or format-specific logic. Hack the filesystem and RE the file format, or dump the entire ram to bypass the compression in an external tool. This belongs in an external tool and an external project.

Now I'll tell you what we can do in desmume which is better: dump the finished scene to some (standard, hopefully?) format with each projection change in another node or layer (hoping that corresponds to cameras) and then let you cut out the models you want.  Then you dont have to reverse engineer umpteen model formats. That would be reasonably straightforward for someone who knows 3d file formats. If you can find such a person, I'd assist with the nds and desmume specific knowledge.

If the n64 plugin isn't doing essentially that, then it's full of special cases that someone's reverse engineered ahead of time, and a plugin was a stupid place to put it.

Of course, if you actually want the true raw source mesh and animation data, you have to do reverse engineering regardless.

#3 2015-11-24 04:33:29

fintogive
Website

Re: Dump models and textures to object and png files?

Ah, ok well,  i was just referring to a simple model rip no animation or anything special included other than textures. basically like taking a screen shot  but with a model  that has been loaded on screen.  and then merging the mesh together in a 3d editor (if required) but if thats not possible (at least not without extensive work)  Then thats fine.  the only person i know that can reverse engineer ds rom data would be Gericom from dshack or gbatemp.

As for the texture ripping that would be cool, or the ability to replace textures with new ones (possibly higher quality textures than standard)  without having to modify the data directly  (like what the dolphin emulator can do with loading custom textures)

Board footer