You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2013-06-07 09:09:27

IronShock

Can't, for the life of me, save my game through menus instead of state

I have come to the support forums in search for an answer I'm sure someone here can provide. I honestly don't think the answer is right under my nose as it is for most people who ask these type of questions. Allow me to explain:

I downloaded Desemume 0.9.9 yesterday and I extracted everything to a folder "Nintendo DS" located on my desktop. The first thing I do is run the emulator and open my PKM Black 2 ROM (which loads just fine). However, I noticed in the script (I run the dev.exe to find the problem) it says "Unable to open savefile C: \Users\Blake\Desktop\Nintendo DS\.\Battery\PKM Black 2 Patched/[PKMG] PKM Black 2 U Patched.dsv"

When I ran the emulator the first time using the pokemon black rom, there were naturally 4 folders that were created automatically within my "Nintendo DS" folder: Cheats, States, Battery and Roms. However, the Cheats, States, and Battery folders do not work cohesively with the program at all even though they were created automatically within the same directory. In other words, right now I am forced to use the 'save state as' function to save my game. I would much rather use the in-game saving mechanism and I would also like to enter and save some cheats on down the road.

When I try to save using the in-game saving feature, I get the same message that I reported above; it just fills the prompt. To me, and I'm obviously not an expert, it appears that the application didn't create a .dsv file in the Battery folder when I started the game the first time like it should have. Naturally, I thought it was due to a path error so I went and checked the path settings to make sure it was being directed to the right folder, which it is. The same goes for cheats; when I enter and save a cheat code, it gives me this error, "Could not save cheats to file. Check Menu -> Config -> Pathsettings -> Cheats." I manually selected the folder in the pathsettings yet it still gives me the error.

If anyone has any insight into my problem, I would greatly appreciate it. I have been stuck on this ever since I downloaded the emulator yesterday. I haven't tried re-downloading the emulator but I have went back into my downloads and re-extracted it a couple times thinking that would help. I have also deleted the .ini file and the cheat folders, etc hoping it would reset and re-create them--nothing has worked.

#2 2013-06-07 16:27:30

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Can't, for the life of me, save my game through menus instead of state

Thanks for that detailed information. I think there are a lot of people having problems with this, but theyre mostly illiterate. It's a novelty to have a literate one here.

Since you seem smart, maybe you can figure out why there is a / front slash in that path. Giving exact details about how your rom is stored (is it in an archive, what is the exact filename, where is it located (full path), what is the archive name, if applicable). You could also consider dumping the console output (do you know how to use > out.txt to redirect the _dev output?) and then checking it for anything private and then posting it here.

#3 2013-06-07 21:08:34

IronShock

My OS is windows 8 and on my desktop application I have a folder named "Nintendo DS." (C:\Users\Blake\Desktop\Nintendo DS). I extracted Desmume 0.9.9 to this folder when I downloaded it. So, it includes some readme files, desmume.ddb, desmume.ini, the two Desmume applications (x86.exe and dev.exe). Lastly, this folder includes 4 subfolders: Battery, Cheats, Roms, and States. Inside the Roms folder, I have my PKM_Black_2_U.rar rom. When I run the emulator, I open that subfolder and choose the rom. From your experience, would you say the problem is most likely how I handled the rom file when I downloaded it or was it how I handled the emulator?

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but here's what goes on when I run the emulator and open the PKM rom:

Note: it appears that the forward slash is present in the rom name. I'm beginning to think that the rom itself is the problem. Your thoughts?

ROM game code: IREO
ROM crc: 73EEC470
ROM serial: NTR-IREO-Unknown
ROM internal name: POKEMON B2
Found in game database by Serial:
        * ROM save type: FLASH 2Mbit
        * ROM crc: 25BA3AA6

DeSmuME .dsv save file not found. Trying to load an old raw .sav file.
Missing save file C:\Users\Blake\Desktop\Nintendo DS\.\Battery\PKM Black 2 Patch
ed/[PKMG] PKM Black 2 U Patched.dsv
DEBUG_reset: 00611FD0
DeSmuME .dsv save file not found. Trying to load an old raw .sav file.
Missing save file C:\Users\Blake\Desktop\Nintendo DS\.\Battery\PKM Black 2 Patch
ed/[PKMG] PKM Black 2 U Patched.dsv
CPU mode: Interpreter
Loading C:\Users\Blake\Desktop\Nintendo DS\Roms\PKM_Black_2_U.rar|PKM Black 2 Pa
tched/[PKMG] PKM Black 2 U Patched.nds was successful
Emulation unpaused
Changing master brightness outside of vblank
Autodetecting with autodetect_size=4
Unable to open savefile C:\Users\Blake\Desktop\Nintendo DS\.\Battery\PKM Black 2
Patched/[PKMG] PKM Black 2 U Patched.dsv
Unable to open savefile C:\Users\Blake\Desktop\Nintendo DS\.\Battery\PKM Black 2
Emulation paused

Last edited by IronShock (2013-06-07 21:10:14)

#4 2013-06-07 21:49:30

zeromus
Radical Ninja

it isnt possible to have a / front slash in a file name. what makes you theorize that? can you state the exact name of the file within the archive? is the file in a subdirectory within the archive? It looks like I can create the same problem as yours when I do that.

#5 2013-06-07 21:51:05

Squall Leonhart

Edit

No, Zeromus is right there,  the rar file includes a folder with the nds/rom file inside, this is where the slash comes from in the file path which is being interpreted as part of the file name which is why the battery is not being written correctly.

this doesn't mean it isn't any less a bug in path handling within archives, but it is rare that anbody actually sets roms up that way so its just been easy to neglect adding support for it (otherwise known as lack of interest).

Last edited by Squall Leonhart (2013-06-07 21:54:37)

#6 2013-06-07 21:56:53

zeromus
Radical Ninja

well, maybe this accounts for 50% of people whos games dont save. why didnt you ever tell us this? it should be pretty easy to fix. there must be some common pokeromz in subdirectories of archives.

#7 2013-06-07 21:57:40

IronShock

So in other words, the rom is the problem? If I find another rom, everything should work just fine?

#8 2013-06-07 22:03:00

zeromus
Radical Ninja

you dont have a rom, you have an archive file with a rom inside it. this is causing the problem. extract the rom manually and load the .nds instead of the .rar and your problem will go away

#9 2013-06-07 22:23:25

IronShock

Oh wow. I feel like a dumbass. The reason this obvious error eluded me was because I never got around to installing WinRAR on this computer...Ergo, the file didn't look like a traditional archive file. Instead, it physically looked like it had already been extracted. If it would have looked like an archive file in the folder (the WinRAR stacked book look) it would have been so obvious to me. I know the extension .rar was still there but I'm not that familiar with extensions so I never gave it any thought. Thank you guys for your help!

Last edited by IronShock (2013-06-07 22:24:09)

#10 2013-06-07 22:36:12

Squall Leonhart

zeromus wrote:

well, maybe this accounts for 50% of people whos games dont save. why didnt you ever tell us this? it should be pretty easy to fix. there must be some common pokeromz in subdirectories of archives.

It only came to mind with this thread, its something I found out back when rar/archive support was first added and I wasn't really invested in desmume at the time as my system was not able to run it properly back then.

Last edited by Squall Leonhart (2013-06-07 22:37:40)

#11 2013-06-07 22:40:48

Squall Leonhart

IronShock wrote:

Oh wow. I feel like a dumbass. The reason this obvious error eluded me was because I never got around to installing WinRAR on this computer...Ergo, the file didn't look like a traditional archive file. Instead, it physically looked like it had already been extracted. If it would have looked like an archive file in the folder (the WinRAR stacked book look) it would have been so obvious to me. I know the extension .rar was still there but I'm not that familiar with extensions so I never gave it any thought. Thank you guys for your help!

The problem is not the rar file (or archives in general) rather its the fact the Rom is inside a folder within the rar file.

Loading C:\Users\Blake\Desktop\Nintendo DS\Roms\PKM_Black_2_U.rar|PKM Black 2 Patched/[PKMG] PKM Black 2 U Patched.nds

Archive|Folder/Romfile

Currently Desmume is treating Folder and its slash as part of the file name, when it should discard anything before and including the /

The current code is only handling Archive|Romfile correctly.

I should point out, that when an archive is opened for reading, 7z and other software use | and / as switch symbols to determine whether the item above it is the archive or a folder

Item prior to | is archive
Item prior to / is Folder

Last edited by Squall Leonhart (2013-06-07 22:49:51)

#12 2013-06-07 23:18:22

IronShock

Oh alright. I understand what you're saying.

#13 2013-06-08 02:30:11

zeromus
Radical Ninja

fixed in r4671

Board footer