You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2012-08-18 03:55:21

Alicorn

[OSX] Pokémon Platinum "Communication" Issue

I'm using DeSmuMe 9.3 (wiki says 9.6 is current but I don't know if that's accurate for Macs too; I got it via direct link from a review site?) on OSX.

I played a Pokémon Platinum rom through the Elite Four with only small issues*.  After I beat the champ the first time it rolled credits and then went back through the intro, stuttered through it, and had the "press start" thing.  Pressing the key I have bound to start didn't work but pressing A did, and then it said there was a communication error and I'd be returned to the Union Room if I'd been there or to where I'd last saved if I'd been somewhere else, press A.  So I pressed A, and both screens went white and... stayed that way.

Poked around for answers and figured that everybody's problems around the Elite Four seem to be related to using savestates, so I went back to between the last Elite and before the Champ, made an ingame save there which seemed to work fine (the game didn't complain or anything), and beat the Champ again, without even cheating by making savestates mid-fight this time.  But the exact same thing happened, and also happens if I load from a savestate taken during the credit roll.

At no point during this game have I seen any warnings that looked like the save-related warning linked in the FAQ.  The one I get about the communication error looks like this: behold!  It appears after a flash of something else that I can't catch in a screenshot because it's gone in a fraction of a second.

How can I get into a game state that is post-me-beating-the-Champion?

*issues, in case they're relevant to the main issue: emulator sometimes spontaneously quit but I made lots of savestates; choppy through complex animations but recovered when they were over; some glitchy graphics; some staticky sound especially on loading from savestate; loading from savestate caused the program to ignore muting until I unmuted and remuted

#2 2012-08-18 11:54:51

Manivo
Awesome Possum

Re: [OSX] Pokémon Platinum "Communication" Issue

Yeah, latest is 0.9.8 - you're way behind.

Which also means that your savegame (not state) is broken.

#3 2012-08-18 19:18:15

Alicorn

If I get the new version, load from state, save ingame, and beat the champion yet again without cheating, will that work?  (Will the new version load the old one's states?  Does it play nice with Platinum ingame saves?)

#4 2012-08-18 22:13:10

Alicorn

Okay, now I feel really dumb.  I got the new version to see if it'd behave and it's working perfectly.  I didn't even have to beat the Champ over again, it picked up from the old mandatory ingame save.  It doesn't even stutter on animations like the old one.  Silly me.

Last edited by Alicorn (2012-08-18 22:15:07)

#5 2012-08-19 16:09:11

Manivo
Awesome Possum

You got lucky on that one. Other, less fortunate souls have forever lost all the time they wasted on this game.

We usually point and laugh at them.

Board footer