You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2012-05-18 22:08:28

4bitPlayer

Manic Miner LL (no bg music !)

As subject says, this great homebrew game (Manic Miner in the Lost Levels) does not play background music at all (which is beautiful and faithful to the original) in our beloved emulator.
Please fix this "bug", I believe it's easy-peasy to achieve because long time ago this game fully worked in No$Gba emulator (with music !)
Thanx in advance.
P.S. I've tested the game in DeSmuME 0.9.8 64bit.
My specs are as follows :
OS - Win 7 64bit
Intel Core i7 930 2.8 GHz
6 GB DDR3 ram (3 x 2 GB)
ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5

Last edited by 4bitPlayer (2012-05-18 22:13:16)

#2 2012-05-19 01:51:36

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Manic Miner LL (no bg music !)

music works fine for me.  its unclear why the music wouldnt be working. are you saying youve got sfx but no music? are you sure you havent turned the music off in the audio options?

#3 2012-05-19 10:42:59

4bitPlayer

@zeromus
First of all Thank You for Your fast reply.
To answer Your question : Yes, I've got only sfx and of course I didn't turn of music in options.
From the very beginning of the game (just after opening the ROM) music is not playing, the same situation in-game : no music only sfx.
I've played/tested hundreds of games in DesMuME and only Manic Miner has this problem, which is why I am unpleasantly surprised. (I've also tried older versions of the emulator)
Maybe we have different ROM regarding Your suggestion that game works fine ?
Tell me where I go wrong :
- I go to the site linked above (http://www.headsoft.com.au/index.php?category=mmll)
- Scroll down to the DOWNLOAD section
- click on "download" which leads here : http://www.headsoft.com.au/index.php?ca … e=download
- then I click on "Download Manic Miner in the Lost Levels v1.06 (EFS version)" and download starts
- after unzipping I put this file : ManicMinerLL.nds (3,479,468 bytes) in my games folder.

( http://www.headsoft.com.au/download/nds … inerLL.zip )

#4 2012-05-19 21:07:38

zeromus
Radical Ninja

looks like this bug is specific to the x64 desmume, at least since 0.9.7. we'll study it. supposedly the sfx are glitched too (no big surprise, the sound engine is probably wholly bolloxed)

#5 2012-05-19 21:19:13

4bitPlayer

zeromus wrote:

looks like this bug is specific to the x64 desmume, at least since 0.9.7. we'll study it. supposedly the sfx are glitched too (no big surprise, the sound engine is probably wholly bolloxed)

If that helps, I tested on the same machine as above in DesMuME version 0.9.6 x64 msvc 1500; compiled May 7 2010. Results are the same as in 0.9.8 - just sfx, no bg music at all.
Good luck in hunting that noisy bug smile

#6 2012-05-26 22:27:10

zeromus
Radical Ninja

music works fine in manic miner if you enable gba slot compact flash emulation. im not sure why we thought this was x64 related. usually games fail altogether if you dont enable that, and they depend on it, which is why i didnt expect it. this game just fails to play music if you dont enable it.

homebrew authors are supposed to be using nitroFS which would work without this trouble.

im not sure what the sound effects are supposed to sound like. if someone could tell me if theyre glitched, i guess that would be nice, but really, theres no evidence that theres problems with the sound now that this is identified as the cause of the missing music

#7 2012-05-26 23:23:37

4bitPlayer

zeromus wrote:

music works fine in manic miner if you enable gba slot compact flash emulation. im not sure why we thought this was x64 related. usually games fail altogether if you dont enable that, and they depend on it, which is why i didnt expect it. this game just fails to play music if you dont enable it...

Still got the blues sad
I did what You suggested and the result is completely the same ?! Even so I deleted the folder with DeSmuME and created new one all over again - nothin' happened.
Am I doing this right ?
ncch2.png

EDIT : Also I am a bit confused here (sorry if this sound noobish) - Why to enable GBA slot, Manic Miner is NDS game ?

Last edited by 4bitPlayer (2012-05-26 23:28:58)

#8 2012-05-27 05:44:21

zeromus
Radical Ninja

manic miner is programmed to load files from a flash cart by using a DLDI driver, and a DLDI driver may access a DS card slot or a GBA card slot depending on what type of flash card it is, and desmume emulates a GBA card slot flash cart.

i dunno what to say, man. it works for me.

Board footer