You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2011-09-23 01:11:16

kicker_exe

Sound error when running Desmume on Wineskin for mac?

I figured considering the OSX version of Desmume will take a while to set up, I'll run the Windows one on wineskin for mac, and it seems to be working really well but, there's an odd error popping up and I can't run sound.

"Error when creating secondary sound buffer: DSERR_BADFORMAT - The specified WAVE format is not supported"

and then it says, "Unable to initialize DirectSound"

What can I do to fix this? Everything else seems to be running ok...

#2 2011-10-05 11:20:27

coolstorybrah

Re: Sound error when running Desmume on Wineskin for mac?

Using WINE to run DeSmuME on Mac is silly, because there are mac builds readily available that work fine.

Also WINE isn't perfect, so you get random errors with a lot of windows programs, besides the fact that using a windows program under WINE rather than using a copy of the same program compiled for mac usually gives slower results (At least for me).

Last edited by coolstorybrah (2011-10-05 11:23:27)

#3 2011-10-05 16:43:57

kicker_exe

Well oddly enough this windows one is running better than the mac native one, and not to mention the latest build of DesMume for mac isn't exactly as good as the last one in my opinion.

There's less things I can troubleshoot if something goes wrong, and I can't do squat to make it sync properly, and there are also some issues with playing a game with the screens rotated as well, I was trying to play AGAIN: Eye of Providence, and you're supposed to play it on its side, but when I rotate it the calibration is all messed up.

Also it can't even use some of the save states I used for my original games which sucks balls! I'm going to have to start over alot of games now because of this, thankfully I also have some back ups so I can use those incase this build is improved upon.

#4 2011-10-05 17:36:49

zeromus
Radical Ninja

i told you so, coolstorybrah. you have to be absolutely blind to think that any version of desmume ever made for osx, whether its based on gtk or cocoa, can compete with the windows port. its sad for kicker though if he cant get his sound working though sad

#5 2011-10-05 17:56:55

kicker_exe

Well if its a WAVE problem maybe if I know what WAVE format desmume runs on I might be able to recalibrate the skin's wave settings.

Does anybody know what wave format it runs on?

#6 2011-10-05 18:16:07

zeromus
Radical Ninja

44100 16 bit stereo AKA cd audio AKA the most common wave format

if you were building desmume yourself, i could suggest that you try changing some of the flags in snddx.cpp around line 148. i think that has a decent chance of helping you.

#7 2011-10-05 19:51:19

coolstorybrah

I'd say the GTK build for OS X is definitely inferior to that of the Windows build, but the Obj-C frontend version plays way nicer. I noticed the release version of 0.9.7 for OS X runs almost 2x slower than a custom compile, so it could be that the release 0.9.7 for OS X was compiled without certain standard optimizations.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is that the Mac builds for DeSmuME feel like they're not bad enough anymore to warrant DeSmuME usage via WINE. They're still inferior to Windows builds, but I don't think they're bad enough anymore to run the Windows builds via WINE.

Last edited by coolstorybrah (2011-10-05 21:08:19)

#8 2011-10-06 01:06:35

rogerman

Heh, I can't wait for the day all of these "run the Windows DeSmuME on a Mac in WINE" posts go away. Hopefully, this will become reality within the next two releases.

#9 2011-10-07 04:46:06

kicker_exe

zeromus wrote:

if you were building desmume yourself, i could suggest that you try changing some of the flags in snddx.cpp around line 148. i think that has a decent chance of helping you.

How exactly do I do that? I don't see a sndd.cpp file in any folders or whatever...

#10 2011-10-07 07:04:47

zeromus
Radical Ninja

if you were building desmume yourself then you would know how.

#11 2011-10-17 20:09:58

figrock

Hey, I'm having the same problem with the OP.

kicker_exe wrote:

"Error when creating secondary sound buffer: DSERR_BADFORMAT - The specified WAVE format is not supported"

and then it says, "Unable to initialize DirectSound"

I'm also having poor results with the Mac native Desmume as well as the mac native NO$GBA DS emulators.

zeromus wrote:

This seems to be the best advice I've been able to come across so far. Could anyone point me in the right direction on how I can make this happen?

#12 2011-10-18 01:23:49

zeromus
Radical Ninja

kicker's bug report is not referring to the mac native desmume. no$gba is not mac native. youre having poor results with the windows version.

ill point you in the right direction: find a windows machine with visual studio on it and find someone who knows how to build windows software. if you get that far then check back for more detailed suggestions.

Board footer