You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2011-04-13 05:39:44

Nintendo Maniac 64

Use the "ESC" key to enter fullscreen?

Other popular emulators (Fusion, VBA-M, Project64) use the ESC key to enter fullscreen.  Would it be too much to ask for this to be considered for a future version of DeSmuME?

Note that this is NOT for the fullscreen function itself, nor is this meant as a replacement of the ALT+Enter shortcut.  This is to be a secondary method for toggling fullscreen.

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 (2011-04-13 05:44:07)

#2 2011-04-13 05:54:33

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Use the "ESC" key to enter fullscreen?

no. escape for fullscreen is wrong. its too easily hit on accident and fullscreen is too annoying and alt+enter was the standard long before some asshat decided to use escape. some other asshats use F11. i'm not sure what was wrong with alt+enter.

#3 2011-04-13 06:36:49

DaMan

Every other Windows program uses alt+enter so therefore we must be different. wink

#4 2011-04-13 08:53:52

yonizaf

why isn't it configurable in the hotkey config? (though it's impossible to map to escape anyway )

#5 2011-05-15 10:12:55

davep

Could there (or is there) a command line switch for fullscreen? I am running the program from GameBrowser and it would be good to go straight into full screen.

#6 2011-05-17 08:23:26

zeromus
Radical Ninja

its not configurable for no good reason.
there is no commandline switch for fullscreen.
these sound like good things for the feature tracker

#7 2015-06-05 03:58:55

Nintendo Maniac 64

4 years later... (apologies for the massive grave-dig)

zeromus wrote:

alt+enter was the standard long before some asshat decided to use escape. some other asshats use F11. i'm not sure what was wrong with alt+enter.

It's been many years, and I now agree that using ESC for fullscreen is silly.  However, believe I have since found out what the deal is with F11.

F11 seems to be commonly used for non-true fullscreen, as in an on-top borderless maximized window, likely so as to differentiate from true fullscreen which is rendered differently on-screen.  This is probably why things like web browsers use F11 while games use alt+enter.

Ironically, DeSmuME doesn't actually use real fullscreen, so it could be argued that F11 would actually be more in-line with other software.

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 (2015-06-05 06:23:17)

#8 2015-06-05 17:18:18

rogerman

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

F11 seems to be commonly used for non-true fullscreen, as in an on-top borderless maximized window, likely so as to differentiate from true fullscreen which is rendered differently on-screen.  This is probably why things like web browsers use F11 while games use alt+enter.

Ironically, DeSmuME doesn't actually use real fullscreen, so it could be argued that F11 would actually be more in-line with other software.

Just so you know, an "on-top borderless maximized window" is a very viable method for implementing "true fullscreen." All fullscreen is is drawing to every available pixel in your display's resolution, regardless of whether those pixels must be drawn through a window layer or if those pixels are drawn direct-to-screen. But these are both true fullscreen methods.

So yes, DeSmuME does use real fullscreen. Using F11 and Alt-Enter to differentiate different implementations of fullscreen is irrelevant. The user is simply invoking fullscreen, nothing more.

That being said, it would be nice if the Windows port had an "Enter Full Screen" menu option in the View menu. Of course, the Enter Full Screen option would display Alt-Enter as its keyboard shortcut. This would give Windows users a surefire way of immediately knowing that a fullscreen feature does exist, as well as its keyboard shortcut for invoking it. Then users wouldn't need to go look it up or ask about it.

#9 2015-06-12 21:20:23

Nintendo Maniac 64

rogerman wrote:

Using F11 and Alt-Enter to differentiate different implementations of fullscreen is irrelevant. The user is simply invoking fullscreen, nothing more.

It depends; there are cases where not using "true fullscreen" results in some things not working as expected, a good example being MPC-HC's normal fullscreen vs D3D Fullscreen.  MPC-HC's normal fullscreen does not work with variable refresh technologies (adaptive sync, g-sync) and, at high resolutions with high framerates, can give the same choppy performance as windowed on low-end GPUs even if the CPU has enough grunt; these are both things that can be solved by using D3D Fullscreen, which uses the same type of fullscreen that most polygonal 3D video games use.

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 (2015-06-12 21:22:02)

#10 2015-06-12 20:03:22

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Hey everyone, here's the guy who knows what he's talking about.

Some video drivers may be turning an "on-top borderless maximized window" forcibly into true fullscreen, because it's considered superior by some for reasons of latency (thank DWM bling for that) and stereoscopic stuff. I guess now g-sync is another consideration. If we're going to do anything as a response to g-sync, it will be to support g-sync, and at that time if we need true fullscreen, so be it. I gotta get a g-sync monitor though.

Alt+enter is a lousy hotkey because its windowsy-weird to catch hotkeys like that in a variety of contexts without interfering with other things. I think someone genuinely decided the time had come to change to F11 as a better hotkey, not to distinguish it from true fullscreen. It's just that (until people started watching flash videos fullscreen in their browser) there was no need at all to make a browser actually true fullscreen since it was a productivity tool and not a game, so it happened to be done with windowed fake full screen.

That brings us to the final topic: why windowed fake full screen? Suffice it to say, theres adequate reasons to want it, but they include: true fullscreen makes some monitors flicker and flake out, it takes longer to switch, and icons and windows have a tendency to move around.

I consider it rude to use true fullscreen without the user positively acknowledging that's what they want. Therefore when only one way's been implemented in desmume, it's windowed fake full screen.

#11 2015-06-12 22:15:40

Nintendo Maniac 64

Don't forget that web browsers weren't GPU accelerated until ~8 years ago, and back around 2000 DirectX was still getting off the ground to the point that many games still primarily used OpenGL.

In other words, back then, I'm not even sure it was technically possible to make a "modern" (at the time) web browser run in "true fullscreen".

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 (2015-06-12 22:16:23)

Board footer