You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2010-09-14 23:20:50

ningyou

Touch lightly?

I need to tap the screen lightly to unstack items in Harvest Moon DS. Is there a way to do this?

#2 2010-09-15 01:01:50

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Touch lightly?

The game literally asks you to touch lightly? It isnt supposed to work if you touch hard? Have you verified how this works on actual hardware?

#3 2010-09-15 02:42:26

ningyou

No I have not tried it on actual hardware. This is what I've read on how to usntack items. Taping "hard" or normaly moves the whole stack of items. Taping lightly is supposed to allow to unstack items (move only 1).

#4 2010-09-15 05:02:45

zeromus
Radical Ninja

This is new information. It certainly isn't supported in the emulator. If you can provide a save file near the point in the game where you can do this, it would be helpful. A savestate will work as well if there is no place to save nearby.

#5 2010-09-15 09:03:19

Manivo
Awesome Possum

Apparently pressure sensitivity IS in Nintendo's specs, but it suggests developers not to use the feature because of pressure sensitivity differences in the manufacturing process, which requires calibration or somecrap. There's homebrew apps that use it.

#6 2010-09-15 15:25:09

zeromus
Radical Ninja

yeah i knew some homebrew would use it but i was surprised a game did it. Anyway, anyone got suggestions for user interface for specifying how hard a touch is?

#7 2010-09-16 01:42:38

ningyou

Here's a save file.

http://rapidshare.com/files/419307404/H … te_USA.dsv

To access the items, click on the back pack. Items can only be move to an empty slot in the back pack or the green slot. Apparently, when you tap it lightly, the border around the selected item should be light orange instead of dark orange.

#8 2010-09-16 11:20:42

yonizaf

zeromus wrote:

Anyway, anyone got suggestions for user interface for specifying how hard a touch is?

for user interface, i would suggest gradually increasing the pressure every frame over 30 frames or so, so full pressure is achieved in about half a second. this way a quick tap would always be soft, and the slower it is the more pressure you get. that would not affect normal use.

for longer use you could use set pressure values to the other mouse buttons. i.e, 50% pressure to left click, 25% to middle-click etc. or ctrl/shift+click etc.

#9 2010-09-17 08:19:34

zeromus
Radical Ninja

That first idea has a certain elegance to it. But there are some problems:
1. If 99.9% of games detect a fullpressure touch as a off/on touch, then it would have to be optional since this proposal would add a delay before 99.9% of games had enough pressure to detect a off/on touch. Adding an easy gui toggle for that would not be very hard.
2. There are some hypothetical patterns of touches which would not be possible to input. For example, touch and drag lightly vs touch and drag firmly. Any light drag would soon necessarily become firm. However, this may be purely hypothetical

The second idea may be pretty easy to implement, though I would choose modifier keys. The pressure levels would be hardcoded to this game, though. Not really a problem when it's just this one game that we know of using it, but it isn't a very scalable solution.

Here is another idea: Add a pair of hotkeys which move the pressure level from 0% to 100% in increments of about 10% or so. We could adjust the scale expandingly as we find more test cases in the future, but 10% intervals would probably be enough for any game to distinquish its states. This way you could even adjust the pressure on the fly by pressing the hotkeys while keeping your mouse button held down.

Full disclosure: I have no intention of working on this any time soon. This discussion is just for planning. Any interested parties could assist by finding or making a homebrew demo which prints the current x/y and pressure as well as the raw touchscreen values.

#10 2010-09-17 10:16:14

yonizaf

1. my suggestion was based on the impression that games will recognize any level of pressure as a full touch, because it will be hard to tell how hard the user's going to press. do you have evidence saying otherwise? this should be easy to check on a real ds.

2. i don't think any game will implement light dragging, because it's pretty hard for most users to maintain the same level of pessure. from my experience with laptop mousepads that let you click by tapping on the pad, when just moving around it would do a click randomly and was so annoying i always had to turn this "feature" off.  if anything, a game might measure the pressure when you start to drag, ang go along with it. then you can choose the drag pressure if you drag right away, or wait a second.

the most practical use i can think of for measuring pressure along a drag, would be a drawing game where your pressure affects the width of the
stroke. but then none of these ideas would work for such use. the most common method of emulating this with the mouse is to measure speed: slow is high pressure, fast is light. this exist in various drawing software for touchpads/touchscreens. but then, i doubt you'll do it unless such a game existed.

as for your idea, it will need some way of indication on screen, or people might not understand why things behave differently than they expect. also, you need to know the current level of pressure. this problem already exists in the speed change controls (+-) where the current speed is only shown in the console (which is off by default on release build).

#11 2010-09-17 19:36:01

zeromus
Radical Ninja

oh, well, the speed should be shown in the HUD. if its not, it is an oversight. assume it will have a HUD element when imagining that option.

it does seem like games recognize the tiniest of pressures, but i wonder why the game describes it as tapping lightly (which should be the default for most users) instead tapping HARD.

#12 2013-08-20 23:48:39

SymVoid

I know this is a dead thread, but I had a lot of problems with this so I am replying to help people who are googling the same problem.

If you have DesEmuMe you can CHANGE the pressure of the taps by going to HotKey settings. It's on the right side.

#13 2014-01-03 13:16:52

BadWolf

I actually was looking for the answer to this same problem!  I have the DS version but decided to get it on here instead because the games are glitchy and the save files get corrupted randomly.  On my DS, to separate items individually from the pile you would tap the icon lightly.  I haven't figured out how to do this on this version yet though and it's causing some issues.  sad  Help?

Are you afraid of the Big Bad Wolf Doctor?

#14 2015-03-22 23:38:02

Kuroh

It doesn't seem to be about pressure, but how long you hold your stylus down. When playing on a real DS, it's a fast tap, not a light tap. I don't know why the window to release your stylus seems so much shorter on the emulator, but I found out that it's a lot easier to unstack items after slowing the game to 50%. Sorry about posting on such an old topic, but I had to figure this out today and thought I'd share.

#15 2015-03-23 01:31:17

zeromus
Radical Ninja

the way a ds touch screen works, I think its easier to do a fast tap because a slow deliberate light tap will not register well and will glitch at the transition point. anyway, thanks for writing. your trick sounds easier than whatever else was being advised.

#16 2016-04-28 13:57:53

Takeshi_Ninja

For anyone that comes to this thread for answers in harvest moon ds just go inside a building (to stop time XD) and try slowing down the game then tap whatever it is you are trying to unstack and if it still doesn't then try holding your left click for a lesser amount of time. It worked for me so it should work for you

Board footer