You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2011-04-05 14:22:06

Thunderbolt

DeSmuME crashing my computer

Hi everyone,

I know that you guys don't support problems when playing Pokemon black.

But I'm just curious about the people who're playing it so far with DesmuME, do you guys encounter frequent crashes during gameplay, that crashes your ENTIRE comp? It's like I have to manually reboot my computer with the on/off button, after my screen suddenly hangs and turns black...

So I just wanted to try asking around here, to see if people playing Pokemon black are facing similar problems, or is it some kind of configuration setting of DeSmuME, or some sort of crappy graphic settings of my computer, that's causing this problem...

#2 2011-04-05 15:30:41

yonizaf

Re: DeSmuME crashing my computer

if your entire system crashed, it's likely not desmume's fault. not directly anyway. check your cpu for overheating, that might be it.

#3 2011-04-05 16:27:00

Thunderbolt

Well is there any settings in desmume that might probably be causing cpu overheating? =X

i have never seen my computer hang like that before... =X

#4 2011-04-05 16:41:55

yonizaf

desmume is cpu intensive by design, being an emulator and all..   the setting you might want to tick is "close rom".

more seriously, a cpu is not supposed to overheat under any condition. if it does, something wrong (not with desmume). check the cpu fan for dust, and get some software to tell you if the cpu really overheat.
the reason why it only happens with desmume, is probably because you don't use any other software that strains your cpu for a long period of time.

#5 2011-04-05 17:05:20

Thunderbolt

Hmmm i'm playing on my laptop... not sure if there would be dust like normal CPU fans...? and besides i think if there's overheating, wouldn't there usually be a warning, and then followed by a proper shutdown? At least that's how it was for my desktop computer... not sure about my laptop.

In my case... when it crashes, my computer screen will suddenly turn black, and there's this weird siren-like sound coming out from my speaker... =X

#6 2011-04-05 17:19:27

yonizaf

yes, laptops overheat just as much.. sometimes more. there may or may not be a place to clean from dust, if you're not sure you can ask someone around you who know computers.

also, the siren sound you hear may very well be a warning sign. a software related crash is unlikely to make sound like that, which means it's hardware related, probably overheating. you could check your computer's documentation for what it may means.

#7 2011-04-07 22:18:43

babcake

Thank god i found this thread.

I have exactly the same issue, and it has NOTHING to do with overheating, the screen suddenly turns black and it gives of a siren like sound, sorta like it's repeating the same quarter second of sound.

I'm using a brand new laptop with a cooling pad and it ONLY happens when i use desmume.

There's no way it's not software related, my previous laptop had overheating issues and it was nothing like this.

#8 2011-04-07 23:17:09

zeromus
Radical Ninja

if its software related then its junky drivers, video or manufacturer crapware. reformat your system and leave the crapware off and then write back.

but for the record, you people with laptops that don't work well should report exactly which model youve got so other people know to avoid it.

#9 2011-04-08 08:47:15

Thunderbolt

Well I was thinking it's probably software that's why I'm asking around for ways to edit the configurations such that this problem won't happen...

can't afford to reformat cuz i had loads of stuff in my laptop now... as it is for school use as well lol.

and i don't think my computer has hardware that is THAT bad... i'm not sure... but i mean, is desmume really graphic intensive? has a i7 processor though...

where should I report the model of my laptop then...?

Last edited by Thunderbolt (2011-04-08 08:49:32)

#10 2011-04-08 09:26:27

zeromus
Radical Ninja

stitch it into your underwear. or, type it here. one or the other will do fine.

theres "bad" hardware like its as slow as something made in 1998. and theres "bad" hardware in that it is crashy crap that doesnt work right. how graphics intensive desmume is or isnt is irrelevant.

#11 2011-04-08 17:32:16

Thunderbolt

Your sacarsm is really intriguing...... -_-

My laptop specs...

Model Name: Fujitsu LH700H

2.66GHz Core i7 620M processor; 4GB RAM; 500GB HDD; 14-inch screen; 512MB Nvidia GeForce 310M graphics card; Windows 7 Home Premium

And I was only throwing out possibilities and doubts about the program, if I knew what exactly was causing the problem I wouldn't be here asking for help and advice right...? Have mercy on noobs like me.

#12 2011-04-20 00:50:41

graah

It repeatably crashed my whole computer as soon as I ran a rom if I used opengl instead of softrasterizer. This stopped when i switched out my old radeon 3850 for a Geforce GTX 570. Also, it actually did work on the 3850 originally, but rolling back to various older drivers didn't seem to help(didn't try formatting though.)

But yeah, try going to 3d settings and switching either to or from softrasterizer. Seems like an important option.

#13 2011-04-20 03:47:24

Thunderbolt

graah wrote:

It repeatably crashed my whole computer as soon as I ran a rom if I used opengl instead of softrasterizer. This stopped when i switched out my old radeon 3850 for a Geforce GTX 570. Also, it actually did work on the 3850 originally, but rolling back to various older drivers didn't seem to help(didn't try formatting though.)

But yeah, try going to 3d settings and switching either to or from softrasterizer. Seems like an important option.

Hmmm... i think the default settings were already on softrasterizer. i didn't use opengl at all. =X

#14 2011-04-20 09:33:28

vishal coffee machine

the reason why it only happens with desmume, is probably because you don't use any other software that strains your cpu for a long period of time.

#15 2011-04-25 04:08:55

Thunderbolt

vishal coffee machine wrote:

So is there a possible solution for this...? Upgrade of RAM or? Anyway I didn't know 30minutes of strain will already cause such problems.... damn i didn't know i purchased a crappy laptop

#16 2011-04-25 17:02:28

vwk

Thunderbolt wrote:

So is there a possible solution for this...? Upgrade of RAM or? Anyway I didn't know 30minutes of strain will already cause such problems.... damn i didn't know i purchased a crappy laptop

You just replied to a bot xD

Download CoreTemp http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/. Run it, and then open up desmume and try to play a game. Check what your CPU temp is like after 30 mins.

#17 2011-04-29 15:54:59

Thunderbolt

vwk wrote:
Thunderbolt wrote:

You just replied to a bot xD

Download CoreTemp http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/. Run it, and then open up desmume and try to play a game. Check what your CPU temp is like after 30 mins.

bot? huh what do you mean?

ok i will use that application to monitor the temperature... thanks for the advice smile

#18 2011-05-16 21:47:55

Pier82m

graah wrote:

I have the same problem:
if I use opengl my pc frezee and I have to use the reset button. I have ati raden 3870HD so it could be an ati 3xxx problem.

#19 2011-05-22 12:26:46

AppleJuice

I also have the problem but solved it
the problem is that DeSmuME IS overheating your comp
use power saver or balanced instead of high performance
for me, in high performance black screen after 15 mins
in balanced 4 hours++ gametime and no black screen
well it depends on your type of comp
mine is Fujitsu Lifebook SH560
hope this helps smile

oh and don't open both DeSmuME and a browser together
it will give you black screen even if you are in balanced or power saver

Last edited by AppleJuice (2011-05-22 12:28:00)

#20 2011-06-01 08:42:59

Thunderbolt

AppleJuice wrote:

I also have the problem but solved it
the problem is that DeSmuME IS overheating your comp
use power saver or balanced instead of high performance
for me, in high performance black screen after 15 mins
in balanced 4 hours++ gametime and no black screen
well it depends on your type of comp
mine is Fujitsu Lifebook SH560
hope this helps smile

oh and don't open both DeSmuME and a browser together
it will give you black screen even if you are in balanced or power saver

Thanks for the tip! I've always been on power saver mode....... perhaps keeping firefox on is what's causing me the problem... though i need the sorta read the walkthrough as a guide... oh well

thanks anyway! smile

Board footer