You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2010-12-27 18:38:26

Trynabefunny

Final Fantasy IV

If I had to guess, it's my computer that's making it run slowly. I am also going to submit a video here to show you how it runs. I've also only got 3 days to get an answer being as I have to turn off my internet until I get a job. To understand fully, watch the video. Otherwise, listen to the explanation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPSlg2Cvdng

I've tried all of your techniques and tricks or w/e to get this game running smoothly. It just doesn't happen. Here are my Specs.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4,300 @ 1.80GHz
RAM 4.00 GB
32-bit OS Vista
Stock graphics

Is it my computer? I've had absolutely nothing running and also rebooted and it still runs this way. I didn't show it in the video, but the beginning cinema has a shit ton of echo in it. I got it down to less, but it isn't more than 50% gone. It's still slower than a snail, in molasses, in the arctics. I've lowered the graphics, sound, put that bus shit on and even skipped frames. It made it a 'little' better, but not much. It still is intolerable.

#2 2010-12-28 00:09:47

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Final Fantasy IV

i suppose you mean the tricks in the faq so i can't tell you to read that.
here are some additional tricks: quit using synch method P or even synch sound at all. quit using the emulator maximized.

did you really even try toggling these options any? in FF4 especially I am gobsmacked if you got a speedup by enabling advanced bus-level timing (youre supposed to _DISABLE_ it for speed) and i am pretty surprised if anyone finds opengl faster for this game, especially someone with stock graphics.

finally, you could try giving up, since even in the most optimal configuration on your cpu I don't think youll ever get more than 40fps with frameskip 3 in those areas.

next time turn on the FPS display while complaining about speed.

#3 2010-12-28 02:54:18

Trynabefunny

Don't sit there and try to belittle me. I'm not an idiot.

The reason I put the Bus-Level Timing on is because, I also probably read wrong, in the FAQ it stated something about it affecting your speed. The emulator says it will fix some games, which is why I tried it. It doesn't affect my speed at all.

I toggled plenty through the FPS, sound, graphics... Every option. Again, I'd like to emphasis. I am not an idiot. I know what I am doing. Sure, I didn't know what to do about this specific emulator until I read the FAQ, but I know what trial and error does.

I've tried every single outlet within the emulator and nothing works. I've made the window as small as possible, even had only 1 window showing with the options, which seems to make things worse. It doesn't matter, it won't run properly. If I turn off the visuals, it runs better, but I can't see anything. Even if I turn off the ones that aren't for the main visuals, it still runs like shit. Chrono Trigger runs at 60 fps with the highest settings, not that it's very comparable graphic wise. I've played PS1 games and PC games that run smoother with better graphics and higher settings.

Ill post one more video to satisfy you..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyr8LYLHs8I

Not sure if I mentioned it in the video, but I tried several frame skips, turning off and on limit frame skip ect ect, and it makes it worse if they are off. The best frame skip I could find was the one I have it on.

#4 2010-12-28 08:31:04

Manivo
Awesome Possum

Game's heavy, as are most of the DS games that work in pure 3D. If you've tried switching to softrasterizer and done what's advised in the FAQ then that's about all you can do for speed, short of putting up raw power into it by getting more powerful hardware.

#5 2010-12-28 08:55:56

yonizaf

excuse zeromus for assuming everyone an idiot, he has to deal with these every day. just look around the forums and enjoy the "fun".
also, not much point saying you're "not an idiot" as i don't now anyone who think they are, so it's not much of a proof for anything. if you're smart, it will show, and we'll know.

as for the speed issues, like zeromus said, 40fps in ffvi is quite normal  for this kind of cpu. not much you can do about it, except maybe overclocking..

your comparisons don't mean much. as ffvi is one of the slower games in desmume, there's not much point comparing it to chrono trigger, or most other games. ps1 emulators were heavily optimized (assembly, speed hacks, dynarec etc) because computers were much slower back then. comparng to pc games is (ecxuse me for saying it) plain stupid, as there's no emulation involved, and they rely mostly on gpu, while emulators are cpu dependent, and have the (heavy) penalty of amulation.

#6 2010-12-29 18:02:22

zeromus
Radical Ninja

ff4 is a cpu heavy game as well. if disabling advanced bus timing does nothing, then youre fatally bottlenecked in a different area--either the maximized window or opengl are the only two things I can think of which will choke a system worse.

#7 2011-01-11 07:42:31

Trynabefunny

I suppose it's just my computer. I am trying out Suikoden right now and it seems to only go to like 30 fps on cutscenes, which is odd considering the fact that they are exactly the same as normal gameplay. I just won't play the game. For me, it's not worth playing a game at such low fps, no matter how badly I want to.

EDIT:
I got the game to work properly. I went into my ctrl + shift + esc (ctrl + alt + delete) and changed the priority to high and turned on virtualization. I don't think that virtualization did anything, tested it and turned it off so I don't think it did, but that changed the frames I was getting to 30+ in that cave. So now it is playable... Yay

#8 2011-01-13 15:58:24

Game

If we have newer grafic card is it faster to put open gl ?

#9 2011-01-13 18:14:29

zeromus
Radical Ninja

are you saying you cant judge which is faster for yourself?

Board footer