You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2010-06-02 15:13:50

vorpal86

How can we get full speed emulation?

It's been a while since I posted, been pretty busy playing wii games and working. I'd just like to ask.

What is the recommended minimum requirements to have all or most all games run at a smooth full speed? (what cpu, how much memory, what sound card and gfx card)?

Also, I know multiple cores wont help even with 6 of them so wouldn't it be best to have a faster core clock speed per single core? I have a dual core 2.7ghz and a lot of the games aren't really smooth sailing.

What about a quad core AMD black series 3.4ghz? I'm about to upgrade to that cpu (in addition to a suitable mobo) and I've always complained that for nearly 8 years now, or more, no cpu's being released have ever went past 3ghz, only the addition of too many cores and I hate that Intel seems to think millions of cores will make things run faster when in reality there is actually other applications that don't even support multithreading cpu's. Sadly, most emulators don't because of their hardware architecture.

Of course, there is still not many regular PC applications or games that support many more than 2 or 3 cores to begin with due to the expert level of programming required to make them utilize efficiently. I've done some digging and some single and dual core higher frequency cpus actually run faster than a quad core with a lesser single core cpu speed. I'd assume that Intel and AMD don't keep in mind emulators when making a cpu though. heh smile

So anyone have any ideas on the hardware required to maximize emulation speed? What about 64bit?
Thanks!

I have
- Dual core 7550 2.7ghz AMD Black series 64bit (currently 32bit win XP Pro )
- Radeon 4550 512mb ddr2 gfx card at 400mhz
- FINALLY a Sound Card - Asus Xonar DS 7.1 surround sound PCI Card
- 2 gb DDr2 800 mhz
- WD 8mb Cache 160gb 7200rpm HD
- Gigabyte GM740g Motherboard
- eLite CM Case which is very cool, litterally smile 4 Fans!

#2 2010-06-02 19:29:25

shash
Administrator

Re: How can we get full speed emulation?

Whatever is faster. As you're not probably upgrading only for DeSmuME, upgrade for whatever you primarily focus on. If DeSmuME still doesn't run fast, use your very own DS.

#3 2010-06-02 20:16:16

zeromus
Radical Ninja

You seem to be confused about a lot of things, as demonstrated by your complaint of 8yrs since 3ghz cpus, which is an asinine and wrong complaint, so I'll keep it simple: read the faq, and any brand new CPU will run stuff at pretty much full speed.

#4 2010-06-03 07:03:18

yonizaf

the requirements in the FAQ are pretty messed up in my opinion.

i mean, come on. minimum requirement: 2Ghz. recommended:3Ghz. that's total lack of information. clearly a core i7 @2ghz  will do a lot better than a 3ghz pentium D (that's tested, not just guessing), so that's totally misleading.

also, what with the 512 MB 3D Video Card requirement. will that amount of vram really help any against 128MB, or is it just a way to make sure it's a high-end video card?

#5 2010-06-03 15:33:33

zeromus
Radical Ninja

there i edited the requirements are you happy now

Board footer