You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2009-09-11 08:37:23

spectreMonkey

DeSmuMe GBA Slot + Pokemon Platinum (This is not about Pal Park)

Hi everyone,

First off, I would like to thank you for making a great DS emulator big_smile

Okay, I know it's not possible to transfer pokemon from Pokemon GBA games (Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire, FireRed and LeafGreen) to Pokemon D/P/P games thru Pal Park because DeSmuMe only reads GBA roms, not save files (GBA Slot).

Since DeSmuMe can only read GBA roms, it means that it is possible to trigger a special feature in Pokemon D/P/P where you can catch wild (Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire, FireRed and LeafGreen) pokemon in certain routes when a pokemon GBA rom is inserted.

Will it work?

I have tried to get it working but so far unsuccessful. The problem is when I insert a GBA game, a message appears, saying GamePAK will reset. I clicked Yes... it just resets. There is no indication that a GBA slot is activated. Am I missing sometjhing?

I will understand if it's not possible at the moment.

Regards,
spectreMonkey.

Last edited by spectreMonkey (2009-09-11 08:39:22)

#2 2009-09-11 17:29:56

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: DeSmuMe GBA Slot + Pokemon Platinum (This is not about Pal Park)

Desmume is supposed to read gbaslot save files. For some reason pokemon still doesn't work correctly right now.

I'll have to study this other issue which I have never heard of before.

Also you should post a bug on the tracker about it.

#3 2009-09-16 07:43:06

spectreMonkey

Thanks for the reply smile Okay, I will definitely report this bug.

Well, after googling alot, I stumbled upon this info big_smile -

I've figured out how to make the migration option to appear when using DeSmuME (current v0.9.4). As you probably know this emulator supports GBA-NDS linkage since some builds ago. However it was not working for Pokemon D/P/Pt so far. Migration is still NOT possible though (save corruption message), but you get the benefits of "dongle method" (depending on "inserted" GBA ROM you get additional pokemon in-game).

I look forward for cory1492 comments/suggestions. It seems just a matter of a better/proper FLASH save access support on the emulator itself to be able to interact with the GBA sav on the HD. But I lack the required tech knowledge to "describe the problem".

I've only tested with Pokemon D/P ENG (ADAE/APAE, US or EUR, it doesn't matter)

Requirements:

1. NDS BIOSes (both ARM7 and ARM9 dumps)

2. NDS save which allows migration (you have the National Pokédex and are able to enter Pal Park)

3. NDS ROM patched with Pokepatch v4.2 by cory1492 -->OR<-- clean D/P/Pt ENG ROM + "Dongle Method Only" AR code by cory1492 (see below)

How to:

1. Go to "Config->Emulation Settings". Enable "Use external BIOS images" and browse for your ARM7 and ARM9 dumps. Enable "Emulate SWIs using BIOS images" (not strictly required, but it won't harm).

2. Go to "Emulation->GBA slot". Select "GBA game" and browse for your clean GBA ROM of choice (R/S/E/FR/LG). Remember that: migration requires that GBA ROM language matches that of the NDS ROM. However dongle method works for any language combo. Ideally you should also have a proper GBA save (128 kB) named like the GBA ROM, but as I've said, on accesing the migration option you get a save error anyway (lack of proper GBA FLASH save access emulation).

3a. Load your patched NDS ROM -->OR<--
3b. Load clean D/P/Pt ENG ROM, wait for the titlescreen, pause emulation, go to "Emulation->Cheats->List" and enter the following AR code

020DC50C E3A000C2 020DC500 E3A00009 (for D/P ENG)
020D1564 E3A000C2 020D1558 E3A00009 (for Pt ENG, NOT tested)

After entering the AR code you have to *reset* and unpause emulation.

The "Migrate from R/S/E/FR/LG" should appear now. As I said you can't migrate yet (GBA corruption error), but corresponding dongle pokemon are now available.

More Dongle-Only AR codes are required for JPN/FRA/GER/ESP/ITA/KOR versions, so Pokepatch should be the way for them (maybe cory can disclose those AR codes). However from the emulation point of view the save access patching applied by Pokepatch should not be required, but only better/proper emulation support for GBA FLASH save access on DeSmuME.

CREDIT: KAZUMI213 for figuring out how to get this "dongle method" working on DeSmuME 0.94v.
SOURCE:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=141663&view=findpost&p=2127004

Screenshots:

It is not possible to migrate pokemon from LeafGreen/FireRed/Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire to D/P/Platinum:

143ngpv.jpg

124ya2e.jpg

291m3vc.jpg

Dongle Method works perfectly big_smile

24zkkec.jpg
LeafGreen

kbws1x.jpg
Emerald

rk80sk.jpg
FireRed

Last edited by spectreMonkey (2009-09-16 08:11:03)

#4 2009-09-16 23:04:57

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Crazymax just checked in code within the past few days to specifically address these issues. It is probably working in the latest svn builds now. Without the bios, he says.

#5 2009-09-17 06:57:17

spectreMonkey

Okay, cool big_smile No need to report this bug since it's fixed now, awesome!

I downloaded and compiled the latest svn build, it works perfectly, no need to use those BIOSes anymore. Thanks, man. I will continue testing pokemon and other games on this latest svn build. Any bugs found will  be reported to you guys.

Regards,
spectreMonkey.

#6 2009-09-24 15:36:11

BlackDragon

Umm... excuse me? I'm not exactly a technotard - at least I don't THINK so - but I don't know enough about actual programming to keep up when people talk about 'compiling source' and 'svn builds'.

So... any chance I could get the dumbed-down version? What do I need to do if I want to enable that 'Migration' option? I've got the newest version (0.9.4), but I can see that one was released back in July - so whatever fix you're talking about presumably isn't included.

#7 2009-09-24 17:27:51

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Ok, as requested, the dumbed down version: read the faq, or wait.

#8 2009-09-24 17:59:55

BlackDragon

Mmhmm... right, I see. SVN is a collateral development platform used for the DeSmuME project. So if I want this fix, I need to download an SVN client, download the up-to-date source, and download a C++ compiler to turn it into a useable program.

Or I could wait for the next version of DeSmuME, which would include this fix.

Of course, to weight those two options, I need one more variable: How long WOULD I have to wait? Is the next version right around the corner, or months away?

Although... come to think of it, the 'old' solution mentioned above should still be valid, albeit hardly less complicated than downloading and compiling the new source.

Last edited by BlackDragon (2009-09-24 18:00:34)

#9 2009-09-24 20:08:17

zeromus
Radical Ninja

More than a week and less than a year. Around a month, maybe two. Something like that.

#10 2009-09-24 21:49:02

BlackDragon

Okay, thanks... I guess I'll try to mess around with the SVN, see if I can wrap my head around it and/or try the BIOS method. Otherwise, I guess there's nothin' for it but to wait.

#11 2010-02-12 17:59:29

BlackDragon

Rise from your grave, ancient thread!

I got the new 0.9.5 build. Pokémon still doesn't seem able to detect anything in the GBA slot. Did you forget to include this fix? >_>

#12 2010-02-12 18:11:30

zeromus
Radical Ninja

i dont think we forgot to include it. i am pretty sure this was developed and tested specifically for pokemon. Is the sav file named exactly the same as the rom, and in the same directory? e.g. pokemon_leaf.gba and pokemon_leaf.sav

#13 2010-02-12 19:40:46

BlackDragon

Yep - first thing I double-checked when it didn't work. Pokemon Ruby.gba and Pokemon Ruby.sav - no 'Migrate' option...

Hmm... wait a second... lemme check something...

...gah! It must be a problem with my Ruby rom... or possibly the attached savegame. It works with Sapphire, LeafGreen and FireRed without a problem. >.< Shoulda' thought of trying the other ones before assuming that it was an emulator problem.

...now I just need to figure out why it won't accept my Ruby game. :-\ Ah well, not your problem.

#14 2010-02-16 15:10:52

Domino

I have managed to get the migrate option and pal park to work in 0.9.5 I think you need all the games to be same region for it to work though.

#15 2010-02-17 12:35:07

ganesha

Do we need nds bios like arm7 & arm9 for 0.9.5 also.
I have proper sav files of gba games.
OR send me the link for the two bios (arm7 & arm9).

#16 2010-02-17 15:37:08

ganesha

I have those two bios, but with different names which go like this BIOSNDS7.ROM & BIOSNDS9.ROM.

#17 2010-02-17 15:38:32

ganesha

Domino wrote:

I have managed to get the migrate option and pal park to work in 0.9.5 I think you need all the games to be same region for it to work though.

where did you get that desmume 0.9.5 unlock the link.

#18 2010-02-17 17:42:57

zeromus
Radical Ninja

If you can't figure out how to download 0.9.5, then you couldn't figure out what to do with it anyway once you got it.

#19 2010-02-18 01:59:50

ganesha

I got the emulator (desmume 0.9.5) it says the pokemons have been stocked but in pal park they I have to stock.

Last edited by ganesha (2010-02-18 10:39:19)

#20 2010-03-09 15:15:27

szvezda

i used vba for fire red and sapphire, anyway, i imported the files as battery files so they have the extension .sav

but when i upload the gba slot, it does not work

#21 2010-04-07 09:52:22

kikomachi

I just found a way to successfully migrate pokemon from FR/LG/R/S/E roms, I use this method on pokemon HeartGold but probably it will work on Platinum too.  So, this is how I did:
-before loading the NDS rom, insert 1st the GBA rom on the GBA slot then load your game.  But make sure that the GBA rom you inserted has atleast 6 or more pokemon deposited on the PC, and also make sure that you have .sav file of it.  Then...
-at the start menu, you can see the "migrate from [pokemon version of your choice]" button. Click it.
-Just keep pressing YES then it will show you all the pokemon deposited on the PC of the pokemon GBA rom you inserted, choose only 6 pokemon.
-it will start transferring the pokemon as soon you choose your 6 pokemon to be stock in the Pal Park.
-if the transferring of pokemon failed, it could only be means: (1) you left the cheat codes from the GBA rom activated, it must be deactivate first then save; or (2) you used too much AR (action replay) codes that may cause the GBA .sav file to corrupt.

Edit by DottorLeo x2: restored previous post. My bad.

#22 2010-05-05 22:41:04

XxCoreySxX

Hey people, if there's anyone else out there who still loves to play Pokemon, please help me answer this question. I would really appreciate it! smile

Ok, so first let me explain my situation..

So I am using DeSmuME version 0.9.5, and I have been playing Pokemon Diamond. I just beat the game and got the national Pokedex, and I want to migrate the three Regis from Pokemon Emerald so that I can catch Regigigas. I use VBA version 1.7.3.

I followed exactly what spectreMonkey said in his post. I used the Action-Replay code that he gave, because I couldn't get the Pokepatch v4.2 by cory1492 to work.

So I opened up DeSmuME, selected my Pokemon Emerald game for the GBA slot, and started it. When it got the the menu screen, it showed the "MIGRATE FROM EMERALD" option. Upon selecting it, I got this message:

"Error reading the Game Boy Advance Game Pak's save file.
There may not be a file saved, or the save file may be corrupted."

When I hit A, it just brought me back to the title screen for Diamond.

I have a .sav file in the same folder as the GBA file, and all the emulation settings seem to be exactly what they should. BUT IT DOESN'T WORK.

Does anyone know how to fix this, so that I can migrate Pokemon from Emerald to Diamond?

And another thing, can someone explain what the "Dongle Method" is? I don't really understand it.

Please Help!

Thanks in advance for anyone else awesome enough to still like Pokemon hahah smile

EDIT: Ok, so I feel like an idiot because I overlooked a tiny little thing: My save file didn't have the same name as the GBA file, which is required.

So, I changed that, and was pleasantly surprised to find that it worked. Or so I thought..

It asked me if I wanted to migrate, and told me that the Pokemon can't be transfered back, and blah blah blah. So I selected the six Pokemon that I wanted to migrate from Emerald, and then it said "Saving data on Pokemon Emerald and Pokemon Diamond..."

After about a minute, it said "Save failed..."

And no matter how many times I try it, it won't save, and so I cannot migrate. Can anyone please help me with this problem??

Last edited by XxCoreySxX (2010-05-05 23:06:37)

#23 2010-05-07 21:58:44

XxCoreySxX

Sorry to bump, but i really need help on this. Pleaseee

#24 2010-05-07 22:04:30

KazoWAR

XxCoreySxX wrote:

Sorry to bump, but i really need help on this. Pleaseee

I don't know if it was ever fixed before or after 0.9.5 release, but you do not need to use any kind of hack or patch to use the migration feature, I used it a few times with a clean game. But I would like to add, it does seem kinda buggy because it seems to either fail or pass the saving of the nds and gba game at random.

#25 2010-05-08 02:26:10

XxCoreySxX

Yeah well I have tried it multiple times, and no matter what I do, it doesn't save. And the cheat code is required, for me at least, because before I used it, the migration option did not even show up in the first place.

There's gotta be a way to fix it so it can save....

Last edited by XxCoreySxX (2010-05-08 02:31:19)

Board footer