You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2009-12-29 00:54:07

zhu_dawg

Need help, game crashes when loading

Hi, I used an action replay code while playing pokemon heart gold, and it seems that when i used the code it caused my game to crash. and because of that every time i load the game, the action replay code gets loaded as well, causing the game to crash upon loading. can someone help me with this??

#2 2009-12-29 03:00:30

nut
Website

Re: Need help, game crashes when loading

Which version of desmume, which port, which code, and what is your system spects?
Can you please type or screenshot the crash message?

I want to be a programmer.

#3 2009-12-29 07:19:00

yonizaf

(on 0.9.5)
1. open desmume without loading the game.
2. Emulation>Cheats>Disable.
3. load your game, then delete the bad code.

(on 0.9.4)
1. look in your rom folder for a file with the same name as the rom but a .DCT extension.
2. either edit the file to find your cheat and remove it, or, if it's too complicated, just rename the file.
3. try to load your game again.

#4 2009-12-29 08:04:59

nut
Website

Oh, didn't know that you can do that.
Those should work, if it's not, try unzip the emulator into a folder.

I want to be a programmer.

#5 2009-12-29 13:07:39

lbalbalba

zhu_dawg wrote:

Hi, I used an action replay code while playing pokemon heart gold, and it seems that when i used the code it caused my game to crash. and because of that every time i load the game, the action replay code gets loaded as well, causing the game to crash upon loading. can someone help me with this??

http://wiki.desmume.org/index.php?title … or_crashes.

Last edited by lbalbalba (2009-12-29 13:09:16)

#6 2011-03-25 21:40:19

Elliander

I am having the same issue with 0.9.4, however, there is no .DCT file to edit and there appears to be no way to disable the cheat from loading itself on start. I had a backup of the folder on another drive I tried tried loading but it had the same problem somehow. If I used the backup to load the backup of the game it will work but my save state there is very old. I tried changing the name of the ROM I am trying to open and it would load there none of the save states or internal "saved game" exists there. Changing the name back to what it was made it load and crash again. I tried downloading a new version of desmume, and the game will load there, but the neither the save states or the games internal "save game" exists there.

So if I can't disable a bad cheat code from running, and I can't a .DCT file to edit (there is a .DST file, but it's text file is all strange characters so I can't really edit that either, unless it's supposed to be done in Hex) is there some way to copy the save states over to another install? Or any way to continue the game without starting over?

#7 2011-03-26 00:42:53

zeromus
Radical Ninja

try harder to find the .dct. its there somewhere. use filemon or process monitor to watch it get opened. or, change the name of the rom, and then find the .dsv and .ds* files and rename them to match the newly-named rom

#8 2011-03-26 01:49:04

Elliander

I see now. It's created in the ROM directory, not in the install directory. (used windows search to find it) and was able to open it in text editor where I could delete the text area of the evil cheat.

Was the crashing caused by the cheat itself being bad, or by some incompatibility between the program and some cheats?

#9 2011-03-26 02:15:44

zeromus
Radical Ninja

using cheats requires skills. cheats break the game in a creative way. when they get out of control, they break the game in a disastrous way.

#10 2011-03-27 22:21:31

Elliander

zeromus wrote:

using cheats requires skills. cheats break the game in a creative way. when they get out of control, they break the game in a disastrous way.

That's probably the most vague answer I've ever seen. I know how cheats work and the only creative element would be in making them. The reason I asked is because I wanted to know if there were people making cheats to intentionally corrupt or crash games, or if it was an issue with the emulator not being able to support all cheats.

Last edited by Elliander (2011-03-27 22:21:58)

#11 2011-03-27 22:38:25

IdoSC

Elliander wrote:
zeromus wrote:

That's probably the most vague answer I've ever seen. I know how cheats work and the only creative element would be in making them. The reason I asked is because I wanted to know if there were people making cheats to intentionally corrupt or crash games, or if it was an issue with the emulator not being able to support all cheats.

Go to ShowMyPC, give me a code so I could see your illegal ROM's region and the code in the codes list. Now, I'll bother trying to figure what it's actually supposed to do, and whether it causes problems because of the emulator or the cheat itself. Surprisingly, most (all?) other appropriate codes work in the emulator, but since you can't be doing something wrong, we're gonna have to investigate it and give you an exact answer with the minimal amount of details given to figure it out. Oh, and you didn't write the AR code either, so even if I was serious, we couldn't do anything with it.

Now, seriously, if you want to see even vaguer answers, just look around the forum. Saying it's the most vague answer you've ever seen indicates you didn't bother trying to read any other threads in the forum/the FAQ, including the thread saying Pokemon games are not supported altogether.

Also, HGSS are hilariously easy without codes. GSC were so damn easy, and HGSS has some Pokemons in slightly higher levels.

Last edited by IdoSC (2011-03-27 22:40:27)

#12 2011-03-28 00:58:38

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Elliander, those arent the only two options. Nobody is making cheats to intentionally corrupt or crash games, and i don't think that desmume fails to support any cheats.  However, people make cheats that require skills to use. That involves the skill of removing them when they become burdensome and re-adding them when theyre not so burdensome. People will go to great length to cheat, and demonstrate great patience. If desmume flakes out while running cheats that work on the hardware, then things are a little interesting. However, theyre not so interesting when pokemon is involved since you may be using a patched rom, the cheats may be meant for a patched rom, the cheats may depend on flash cards automatic patching, and nobody would know because they don't tell you and you don't tell us and frankly most pokemon cheat users don't know one way or the other even if they were inclined to tell us. To top it all off, pokemon games are already unstable on desmume, so adding anything else unstable to the mix (yes, that includes cheats that you think are stable) is a recipe for trouble.

Board footer