You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2007-04-25 21:24:00

Aerith

pokemon games...

hey shash... you may think that all poke fans are the same, but think again. i originally thought that pokemon was gay as well, but then my uncle (who is about five years younger than me... yes that is possible...) got me into it when it first came out. i must say that they aren't the best games in the world, but they are still fun to play. yes, they may not live up to many other rpg's, however, there are still those that enjoy them, and so you should at least try to make them somewhat playable on the emu, because another part of making an emulator, is making it so that it is the same as having the actual thing, which means that if i were to pick any game (not just pokemon) then it should be able to be played on the emu, not just the creator's preferences. i also understand that programming can be difficult, as well as time consuming, which i have recently been learning through my programming class (even though i am doing better than everyone in my class), and would help out (if possible) to make this emulator better, but since i am still learning, it would be difficult. however, if you decided to make this emulator, then you have chosen to make it a fully (for the most part) functional ds, not just a popular ds game emu. and not all poke fans are gay guys that are glued to their computer and live of of chips and burgers, so think again before bashing people. so, all i have left to say is... *read signature*.

screw you guys, i'm going home...

#2 2007-04-25 21:56:53

shash
Administrator

Re: pokemon games...

As you said, the purpose of writing an emulator is to emulate the original machine, not one game. Of course, as you have started to learn, programming is about problem solving. Emulating the DS is a lot of work, and naturally, I work on a single feature at the same time. I select them following my personal criteria, of course, as this is a hobby for me, so work on games I prefer: this includes Metroid or Super Mario 64 DS, for example. As you can guess, Pokemon is on the bottom of that game, because I personally don't like it. Changing this, would convert my hobby a work, and I'd have to get paid, and I don't think that will never happen.

I'm working on Desmume mainly to learn how the DS works internally, and to create a tool that aids me when coding stuff for the DS. Being able to run games on the program is only a plus (I never played a game for more than 2 minutes on Desmume).

About the Pokemon "gamers", I'll just give you some facts: they report the bugs with way less readable english, bash the emulator ONLY based that game (that represents less than 0.3% of the current DS games), and are generally annoying, not even spending 1 minute searching if they question/bug report is already answered/reported. To sum it up, they're statistically more annoying than all the rest TOGETHER. In fact you don't trust me, you can check here, the main page comments, or forums about emulation.

The rest of the team seems to agree with their preferences for other games, so either start coding support for Pokemon, or you'll have to wait a while.

#3 2007-04-25 22:10:41

Aerith

i agree with you and i would like to help with the programming of the desmume, and work on some games, like pokemon, that you may dislike in general, which would make some people shut up (like the poke fans), but as i had said before, i don't know a lot about c++ and even less about the ds' internal programming, but, if possible, i would like to try and learn the programming needed to help out, and end some of the annoying people's yapping. how would i be able to do this? i have no way of dumping information from roms, and that really dosn't help me much. would i be able to be an unofficial part of the programming team, or just be able to have the current program, and maybe learn as much as i can, and later, possibly, help make the emu better for everybody, including the bad engrish people? if not, that's alright too. it's the thought that counts anyway.

i forgot to mention that i have the roms for the newest pokemon games (diamond/pearl) and would be able to work on formatting the desmume to be compatible with the games, with the coding for the desmume, as well as learning how to view the code for roms (which i don't know how to do...). i have plenty of free time (for now) and would be able to quickly be able to teach myself the programming needed.

Last edited by Aerith (2007-04-25 22:42:02)

#4 2007-04-26 00:51:32

snkmad
Website

Its good to see more people getting interested in coding, when they like a project. But you have to understand somethings first.
As you have just started coding, you may find out that some projects are really big and complex. And emulators are really on top of those.

If you want to start making emus, i suggest you go code some chip8 emu. Its one of the easiest to start with, then a Gameboy mono or NES one.

But you said you wanted to code for desmume, no problem with that, since its open-source and anyone can take a look at the code and modify if they want, improving it or not. No need to be into the dev team for that.

Also the ability to download illegal material, like the roms you mentioned above dont add nothing to someones coding experience. Google is there for everybody.

So to sum it up, if desmume doesnt run the games you want, youll have to change emu, write your own or wait, just like everybody else.

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ / 2Gb DDR2 800Mhz
Geforce 8600GT 256MB / Windows XP PRO SP3
http://desmume.org/compatibility-list/

#5 2007-04-26 01:02:01

Aerith

where can i get the code for the emu, and how do i see the coding for a game rom?

#6 2007-04-26 01:06:57

snkmad
Website

Here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/desmume
Also i forgot to mention, desmume is coded in C and not C++.
And theres no such thing as code for a game rom.
Youll only see code regarding the DS hardware, like CPU, GPU, SPU....

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ / 2Gb DDR2 800Mhz
Geforce 8600GT 256MB / Windows XP PRO SP3
http://desmume.org/compatibility-list/

#7 2007-04-27 21:51:34

bLasT

snkmad wrote:

(...)

But you said you wanted to code for desmume, no problem with that, since its open-source and anyone can take a look at the code and modify if they want, improving it or not. No need to be into the dev team for that.

(...)

It's not just like that, when someone downloads open-source code it's hard (if not impossible) to get into the functionality of the program. This is because there are many things a coder must know that aren't so obvious to see, especially when coding an emulator. Such things may be memory mapping etc.
No person can develop this emulator if there isn't a "guide" so the person gets to know the program well enough to develop it.
btw i downloaded the source and only saw .cpp not .c, didn't really look too much into the code to see if it's really C++ or C but i thought C had .c files? :x

Last edited by bLasT (2007-04-27 21:53:15)

#8 2007-04-29 20:33:27

xceox

i have been looking for a emulator that plays pokemon and i found one im playing pokemon diamond us right now it plays good just like pokemon on the ds smile i would post a pic but i dont know if i can good luck tho

#9 2007-04-29 20:33:55

trevor813
Website

can pokemon diamond work with any of the desmume emulators or no?

#10 2007-04-29 20:35:10

xceox

trevor813 wrote:

can pokemon diamond work with any of the desmume emulators or no?

far as i know only 1 emulator do

Last edited by xceox (2007-04-29 20:35:50)

#11 2007-04-29 21:01:00

trevor813
Website

which emulator??

#12 2007-04-29 21:06:21

xceox

pic

<link deleted>

how to get it to work read tho

<link deleted>

and you can look for a u.s pokemon diamond

EDIT by shash: deleted links as they contained some illegal files.

Last edited by xceox (2007-04-29 21:11:00)

#13 2007-04-29 21:41:32

shash
Administrator

This has nothing to do with desmume, so closing.

Board footer