You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2009-11-02 22:30:37

daroou

Problem with GDB stub...

Hi,

First I just want to say that I love this emulator! Been developing on DS, and this is the emu of choice! I especially like it for the gdb stub feature, which I find indispensable.

I've gotten many gdb debugger IDEs working so far: Insight, eclipse, CodeLite, and WinGDB. Some of these debuggers are better than others in terms of exposing or implementing certain gdb features; however, one thing does not work across all debuggers: setting breakpoints while the rom is executing. In fact, I think this generalizes to just being able to stop/pause execution at any point, which also doesn't work. I'm thinking this is a problem with the gdb stub implementation, since it doesn't work on any of the debuggers I've tried (nor from straight commandline gdb). Is this something you're aware of?

Thanks!

#2 2009-11-02 23:09:37

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Problem with GDB stub...

Thanks for the info, I think none of the desmume developers use the gdb stub so we're not well acquainted with the ins and outs but I was going to become the master of it after the next release because the gdb stub is getting in my way and I need to clean it up, but also make sure I don't break it. This will be a good task to tackle while learning it. By the way, it would behoove you to make sure that the latest svn builds still work with the gdb stub--itd be a shame if we released a version that accidentally had it broken.

#3 2009-11-04 01:22:57

daroou

I don't mind making sure it still works, just let me know when would be a good time to test it out. So I presume that in cleaning up the code, you'll not only make sure it still works, but try to address the problem I brought forth?

It's a shame that none of you use this feature as I think it's one of the best features of desmume. I guess it makes sense, though, since it's most useful for DS developers, not emu developers smile Thanks for the quick response!

#4 2009-11-04 01:42:28

zeromus
Radical Ninja

It is a good time to test it out.

#5 2009-11-04 01:48:53

daroou

Btw, I'm guessing I need to sync the full source and build it to test the latest version? Or is there some way to get just the latest binaries?

#6 2009-11-04 02:50:12

daroou

Ok, downloaded and built DEVELOPER and GDB_STUB debug 2005 version (windows), tested the gdbstub stuff, and it seems to be working the same as 0.9.4-win32.

#7 2009-11-04 03:10:13

zeromus
Radical Ninja

thanks. you shouldnt need to use a debug build, but then, breakpoints in the emulator can sometimes be as useful as breakpoints in your code.

#8 2009-11-04 03:33:19

daroou

Yeah, I wanted to play around with the gdbstub code to see if I could understand why it wasn't working when I would set a breakpoint or try to break from within my debugger. It seems that breaking or setting a breakpoint while the game is running doesn't send any packets to the gdbstub, so this is not necessarily a problem in the emulator. I'll keep digging.

Board footer