You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2009-11-01 07:55:45

IdoSC

Question about Frameskip...

Hey, I have a few questions about SVN's Frameskip, feel free to ignore it if you don't have time to answer those.

Well, as far as I know it's broken, so if you know why it's broken and if it wasn't broken in the official 0.9.4 wouldn't it be better to just reverse/try to fix it? Or do you want it to be both faster and...fixed? XD
Second question, as an estimation, do you think it'd be fixed by the time the official 0.9.5 will be released?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2009-11-01 15:34:45

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Question about Frameskip...

next time just save yourself the trouble and say "nag nag nag frameskip broken nag nag nag". Anyway, tell me what you think you mean by broken. I am looking into it right now and I think it is only broken for dual screen games but I cant remember whether it EVER worked right for those.

Well, one thing has changed. Games that run at 30 3dfps have a 50% chance of getting locked in a cycle where they never update. I think thats what I thought was broken.

#3 2009-11-01 17:11:52

IdoSC

Meh, sorry, just ignore the topic or something. It was just a random stupid question...guess I'd just let it slide next time...

Anyways, to answer your reply, I can play a game in 9 FS and after a few seconds the picture just freezes. Everything would turn back to normal after a few seconds, the sound still works, and when I switch back to 0 FS it works perfectly again. It happens in 4 FS or less too, just not occasionally.

And I don't know to define what a single-screen DS game is, but if its like - first screen: a permanent picture; second screen:the game itself, then yeah, FS works perfectly in those games to me.

By the way, in 0.9.4, FS worked fine to me even on 9, just not as fast.

#4 2009-11-01 18:09:02

zeromus
Radical Ninja

I fixed a bug in the 3d frameskipping just now, but now I remember why its not logical for dual screen 3d games to work right with frameskipping: If you set frameskip=1 and the game alternates screens at 30fps then one of the screens will always be skipped, making it look frozen while the other one animates. You could fix this by making the frameskipping less effective by always rendering 3d frames, but you can also fix it by picking frameskip=2 or some other value, depending on the game.

#5 2009-11-01 22:23:49

IdoSC

Thanks...well "always rendering 3d frames" doesn't tell me much because 3d rendering means nothing but OpenGL/SoftRastelizer to me...as you probably understood I'm just a dumb end-user. Anyways I guess I'd just stick to the 2-4 FS thing like you said...

Edit: SVN3009: Frame skip works like a charm even on 9, thank you very much.

Last edited by IdoSC (2009-11-01 22:40:41)

Board footer