You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2009-09-21 20:19:20

IdoSC

Setting Desmume to 1 core, all other programs to another

Hello,
I wonder if there's a way to set Desmume to work on 1 core, and all my other currently-active programs to another, in Core 2 duo, Windows Vista.
I also wonder if it'll be effective to make it work faster. As far as I know, Desmume doesn't support any kind of 2 cores (unless i'm wrong of course), so I suppose it should be faster if I found a way to do it.

Thanks in advance smile

#2 2009-09-21 21:21:28

KazoWAR

Re: Setting Desmume to 1 core, all other programs to another

Shinypkm wrote:

Hello,
I wonder if there's a way to set Desmume to work on 1 core, and all my other currently-active programs to another, in Core 2 duo, Windows Vista.
I also wonder if it'll be effective to make it work faster. As far as I know, Desmume doesn't support any kind of 2 cores (unless i'm wrong of course), so I suppose it should be faster if I found a way to do it.

Thanks in advance smile

open the task manager, go to processes, right click on a process and click on Set Affinity... This lets you choose what cores the process can use.

#3 2009-09-22 03:03:07

zeromus
Radical Ninja

It wont be effective to make it faster. Don't waste your time trying.

#4 2009-09-23 00:02:43

Manivo
Awesome Possum

If you insist though, look up a program called SMP Seesaw which allows you to quickly dedicate a core to a single application.

#5 2009-09-23 19:22:00

IdoSC

Hmm, I thought it would be effective cause of the lack of core 2 duo support...

Well, thanks to you guys. I guess that program would be useful for other tasks, and I hope Desmume would support 2 cores in the future.
By the way, Kazo, GG on your translation...helped me a damn lot, thanks XD

#6 2009-09-23 20:17:06

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Windows is not entirely dumb. If one application is taking as much time as possible, it is going to get almost an entire core. All other processes will be running on the other core. The only time manually meddling with the processor core allocation is going to help is if you have some other app running that is constantly using max cpu, or several other apps that are doing small amounts of work. But the easiest way to get full use of a core is just to shut down all background tasks.

0.9.5 windows build will use 2 cores for some things.

Board footer