You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2022-08-19 14:37:28

Zanfire

DeSmuME save problems with SteamDeck SteamOS

Hello everyone.

I installed the Linux version of Desmume on my new SteamDeck, which runs a modified version of Linux Debian, called SteamOS.
The emulator installs without problems via Discovery flatpack, and run ROMS perfectly, but I cannot use the in-game save. Not savestates, but the very in games itself save option (I'm well versed in the difference).

In practice, when I start a ROM and try to save, it creates the GAMENAME.DSV save file but I'm not able to load in ganem later or, in the case of, for example, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, prevents me completely from starting the ROM without deleting the save itself, giving me an in game error.

I'm not very familiar with linux, on the contrary, so I'm definitely doing something wrong, but by tweaking around a bit I managed to find the folder where the saves take place, which turns out to be pretty different from the one where they should normally be: it is not in fact "/home/.config/desmume/" or "/home/<user>/.config/desmume/" but it is in a completely different location (under "/.var/app/"). Moreover I noticed that, from the Linux terminal, when I use the DIR command in the folder where it saves to see the files it contains, the names of the save files appears with a strange name, something like "2381 \ - \ Final Fantasy \ Tactics \ A2 \ - \ Grimoire \ of \ the \ Rift \ (E) \ (EXiMiUS) .dsv ", which seems odd to me as other file names appears pretty normal.

Anyone experienced in Linux can perhaps give advices?

#2 2022-08-19 15:48:46

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: DeSmuME save problems with SteamDeck SteamOS

this has nothing to do with desmume and everything to do with steamos interfering with how software works. go ask on a steam deck forum

#3 2022-08-20 06:47:44

Zanfire

zeromus wrote:

this has nothing to do with desmume and everything to do with steamos interfering with how software works. go ask on a steam deck forum

Well, most other emulators works pretty well despite SteamOS weird behaviour, so perhaps it is not only SteamOS to blame.
I'll ask on more useful places, thank you anyway.

#4 2022-08-20 23:46:23

zeromus
Radical Ninja

SteamOS has a responsibility to cope with whatever weird stuff the software does. Thats it's job. It's not the software's job to conform or cooperate.

Board footer