You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2022-06-10 20:13:52

marcelocripe

Desmume .desktop files

Original title: Desmume .desktop files

Hello dear developers.

I don't know how to write in English language and I send my texts translated by the internet translator, I hope you can understand all the translated text.

The package "desmume_0.9.11-3_amd64.deb" available in the Debian repository has two .desktop files that do not work on antiX Linux. After installing Desmume, the two .desktop files are not displayed in the IceWM, JWM and Fluxbox menus.

Original desmume.desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=DeSmuME (Gtk)
Comment=Nintento DS emulator
TryExec=desmume
Exec=desmume
Icon=DeSmuME
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Game;Emulator;
MimeType=application/x-nintendo-ds-rom;
Keywords=nintendo;ds;emulator

Original desmume-glade.desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=DeSmuME (Gtk-Glade)
TryExec=desmume-glade
Exec=desmume-glade
Icon=DeSmuME

Suggested desmume.desktop file with texts in Brazilian Portuguese:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Categories=Game;Emulator;
Exec=desmume
Icon=DeSmuME
Terminal=false
Type=Application

Name=DeSmuME (Gtk)
Name[pt_BR]=Emulador de Jogos do Nintendo DS DeSmuME

Comment[pt_BR]=O DeSmuME é um emulador de Nintendo DS que executa jogos comerciais e amadores

Keywords=nintendo;ds;emulator;games;
Keywords[pt_BR]=nintendo;ds;emulador;jogos;

Suggested desmume-glade.desktop file with texts in Brazilian Portuguese:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Exec=desmume
Icon=DeSmuME
Type=Application
TryExec=desmume

Name=DeSmuME (Gtk)

Comment[pt_BR]=O DeSmuME é um emulador de Nintendo DS que executa jogos comerciais e amadores

I thank you for creating and maintaining the Desmume game emulator.

- - - - -

Título original: Arquivos .desktop do Desmume

Olá prezados desenvoveldores.

Eu não sei escrever em idioma Inglês e envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet, eu espero que você consiga compreender todo o texto traduzido.

O pacote "desmume_0.9.11-3_amd64.deb" disponibilizado no repostitório do Debian possui dois arquivos .desktop que não funciona no antiX Linux. Após a instalação do Desmume, os dois arquivos .desktop não são exibidos nos menus do IceWM, JWM e Fluxbox.

Arquivo desmume.desktop original:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=DeSmuME (Gtk)
TryExec=desmume
Exec=desmume
Icon=DeSmuME

Arquivo desmume-glade.desktop original:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=DeSmuME (Gtk-Glade)
TryExec=desmume-glade
Exec=desmume-glade
Icon=DeSmuME

Arquivo desmume.desktop sugerido com os textos em idioma Português do Brasil:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Exec=desmume
Icon=DeSmuME
Type=Application
TryExec=desmume

Name=DeSmuME (Gtk)

Arquivo desmume-glade.desktop sugerido com os textos em idioma Português do Brasil:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Exec=desmume
Icon=DeSmuME
Type=Application
TryExec=desmume

Name=DeSmuME (Gtk)

Eu agradeço por criarem e manterem o emulador de jogos Desmume.

#2 2022-06-11 05:19:55

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Desmume .desktop files

what is the actual problem with the ".desktop" file?

#3 2022-06-30 17:56:50

marcelocripe

"what is the actual problem with the ".desktop" file?"
Hello zeromus.

The current desmume.desktop file has a problem as it is not displayed in the antiX Linux menus in the IceWM, JWM and Fluxbox window managers. The two files desmume.desktop and desmume-glade.desktop are not displayed in the antiX Linux menus. I tested the installation process with Synaptic and with the command in the terminal:

$ sudo apt install desmume

In both tests, the two files desmume.desktop and desmume-glade.desktop were not displayed in the antiX Linux menus.

The other problem, which can be easily solved, is that it doesn't have the translation for languages other than English.
The emulator is great, but you need to make the desmume.desktop file as great as the program code.
Other people native to other languages could enter the translations of the entries Name[pt]=, Name[fr_BE]=, Name[es]=, etc., as well as the other entries Comment[??]= and Keywords=[??]. When the new desmume.desktop file is ready and repackaged to .deb, .rpm, etc. will benefit from the translations.

Also, if programmers are interested, we can translate Desmume's graphical interface.

marcelocripe
(Original text in Brazilian Portuguese language)

- - - - -

"what is the actual problem with the ".desktop" file?"
Olá zeromus.

O atual arquivo desmume.desktop possui um problema, pois não é exibido nos menus do antiX Linux nos gerenciadores de janelas IceWM, JWM e Fluxbox. Os dois arquivos desmume.desktop e desmume-glade.desktop não são exibidos nos menus do antiX Linux. Eu testei o processo de instalação com o Synaptic e com o comando no terminal:

$ sudo apt install desmume

Em ambos os testes, os dois arquivos desmume.desktop e desmume-glade.desktop não foram exibidos nos menus do antiX Linux.

O outro problema, que pode ser facilmente solucionado, é que não possui a tradução para os idiomas diferentes do Inglês.
O emulador é excelente, mas é preciso tornar o arquivo desmume.desktop tão excelente quanto o código do programa.
Outras pessoas nativas de outros idiomas poderiam inserir as traduções das entradas Name[pt]=, Name[fr_BE]=, Name[es]=, etc., assim como das outras entradas Comment[??]= e Keywords=[??]. Quando o novo arquivo desmume.desktop estiver pronto e for empacotado novamente para .deb, .rpm, etc. serão beneficiados com as traduções.

E ainda, se houver o interesse dos programadores, poderemos traduzir a interface gráfica do Desmume.

marcelocripe
(Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

Last edited by marcelocripe (2022-06-30 17:58:45)

#4 2022-07-01 22:36:18

zeromus
Radical Ninja

We didn't make the package. File the issue with your distro vendor for supplying non-working packages. It will probably be very easy for them to figure out why it's going wrong on their environments and either fix it or post a patch to our github tracker

#5 2022-07-20 19:00:59

marcelocripe

Hi zeromus.

I apologize for taking so long to return to this thread, unfortunately I don't know how to configure this forum to send an automatic message to my notification email when someone replies in this thread.

I think the machine translation of my texts must be bad and so you are probably not able to understand me, I will try to explain again and hopefully the machine translation can be understandable.

I did not find the .desktop file on the https://github.com/TASEmulators/desmume page and when the official .desktop file does not exist, the person packaging for .deb, rpm, etc. needs to create a .desktop file. In the case of the .desktop file that is distributed in the stable Debian archive, it does not have the translation for the languages other than English and that is exactly what I am proposing and asking you for. I ask you to make the texts of the .desktop archive directly available on the official desmume code page, so that all GNU/Linux distributions will benefit from translations of the Name, Comment and Keywords entries. Hopefully other volunteer translators will contribute their translations into various languages.

The .desktop file is responsible for displaying the texts in the menus and in the application search programs of the operating system.

- - - - -

Olá zeromus.

Eu peço desculpas por demorar tanto tempo para retornar a este tópico, infelizmente eu não sei configurar este fórum para enviar uma mensagem automática ao meu e-mail de aviso quando alguém responde neste tópico.

Eu acho que a tradução automática dos meus textos devem estar ruins e por isso provavelmente você não esteja conseguindo me compreender, eu vou tentar explicar novamente e espero que a tradução automática possa ser compreensível.

Eu não encontrei o arquivo .desktop na página do https://github.com/TASEmulators/desmume e quando não existe o arquivo .desktop oficial, a pessoa que empacota para .deb, rpm, etc. precisa criar um arquivo .desktop. No caso do arquivo .desktop que é distribuído no repositório do Debian estável, não possui a tradução para os outros idiomas diferentes do idioma Inglês e é exatamente isso que eu estou propondo e pedindo para você. Eu peço que você disponibilize diretamente os textos do arquivo .desktop na página oficial do código do desmume, assim todas as distribuições GNU/Linux serão beneficidas com as traduções das entradas Name[pt_BR], Comment[pt_BR] e Keywords[pt_BR]. Esperançosamente outros tradutores voluntários contribuirão com as suas traduções para vários idiomas.

O arquivo .desktop é responsável por exibir os textos dos menus e nos programas de busca de aplicativos do sistema operacional.

#6 2022-07-20 23:50:09

zeromus
Radical Ninja

If the creators of the .desktop file wanted it in our repository, they would send it as a PR. consult the maintainers of the .desktop file.

#7 2022-07-21 12:10:54

marcelocripe

"If the creators of the .desktop file wanted it in our repository, they would send it as a PR. consult the maintainers of the .desktop file."
I really can't understand your answer, but this has nothing to do with machine translation.

Do you know what .desktop files are for and what they are used for?
In case you don't know, here's the description of what I've been able to understand so far.

The Name[pt_BR] entry defines the text that will be displayed in window manager menus or desktop environment menus.
The Comment[en_BR] entry defines the text that will be displayed in "Launcher" type programs that help the user to locate and launch programs, for example, Rofi, Ulauncher, Synapse, Cerebro, Gnome Do, Krunner, Application Finder, AppSelect, etc.
The Keywords[pt_BR] entry defines the terms that help programs of the "Launcher" type to find the respective program in their search.
The GenericName[pt_BR] entry I still don't know what it's for.

It makes no sense for an application programmer or game emulator to transfer responsibility for creating the .desktop file to a packager of one or more GNU/Linuxm distributions, as far as I can understand.

I suggested here the texts to be used in my pt_BR language, because the .desktop file probably doesn't exist on the https://github.com/TASEmulators/desmume page, if the file is available, I make the merge request myself in GitHub with the hope of one day being able to see the desmume emulator translated into my language, that is, first we translate the texts that are displayed from the operating systems menus through the .desktop file and if there is interest from the creator of desmume, we can translate the graphic interface.

If you or another GitHub admin creates the file, I'll do the merge request myself.

- - - - -

"If the creators of the .desktop file wanted it in our repository, they would send it as a PR. consult the maintainers of the .desktop file."
Eu relamente não consigo entender a sua resposta, mas isso não tem haver com a tradução automática.

Você sabe para que serve e qual é a utilidade  dos  arquivos .desktop?
Caso você não saiba, segue a descrição do que eu consegui compreender até a presente data.

A entrada Name[pt_BR] define o texto que será exibido nos menus dos gerenciadores de janelas ou nos menus dos ambientes de área de trabalho.
A entrada Comment[pt_BR] define o texto que será exibido nos programas do tipo "Launcher" que ajudam o usuário a localizar e iniciar programas, por exemplo, Rofi, Ulauncher, Synapse, Cerebro, Gnome Do, Krunner, Application Finder, AppSelect, etc.
A entrada Keywords[pt_BR] define os termos que auxiliam os programas do tipo "Launcher" a encontrar o respectivo programa na sua busca ou pesquisa.
A entrada GenericName[pt_BR] eu ainda não sei para que serve.

Não faz sentido algum o programador de um aplicativo ou emulador de jogos transferir a responsabilidade da criação do arquivo .desktop para um empacotador de uma ou mais distribução GNU/Linuxm, até onde eu consigo compreender.

Eu sugeri aqui os textos para serem utilzados em meu idioma pt_BR, porque o arquivo .desktop provavelmente não existe na página do https://github.com/TASEmulators/desmume, se o arquivo estiver disponível, eu mesmo faço a solicitação de mesclagem no GitHub com a esperança de um dia poder ver o emulador desmume traduzido em meu idioma, ou seja, primeiro traduzimos os textos que são exibidos dos menus dos sistemas operacionais por meio do arquivo .desktop e se houver interesse do criador do desmume, poderemos traduzir a interface gráfica.

Se você ou outro administrador do GitHub criar o arquivo eu mesmo faço a solicitação de mesclagem.

#8 2022-07-21 20:38:20

zeromus
Radical Ninja

We haven't transferred responsibility for creating the .desktop file because we never took the responsibiltiy in the first place.
YOU want the file, YOU create it.
PACKAGER wants the file, PACKAGER creates it.
If YOU or PACKAGER want to submit the file as a PR, then YOU or PACKAGER can do that.

#9 2022-07-22 18:33:03

marcelocripe

I appreciate your patience and answers, as I couldn't create a "Pull Requests", so I created an "Issues". I hope this helps to obtain the desmume.desktop file containing the texts in Brazilian Portuguese and in the future in other languages.

https://github.com/TASEmulators/desmume/issues/570

- - - - -

Eu agradeço por sua paciência e respostas, como eu não consegui criar um "Pull Requests", então eu criei um "Issues". Eu espero que isso ajude a obtermos o arquivo desmume.desktop contendo os textos em idioma Português do Brasil e no futuro em outros idiomas.

https://github.com/TASEmulators/desmume/issues/570

Board footer