You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2022-05-26 04:50:09

xZabuzax

SoftRasterizer vs OpenGL in v0.9.13?

So in the new v0.9.13 version, which 3D Render do you recommend, SoftRasterizer or OpenGL?

I've noticed that increasing the resolution in "Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan" by x4 and above makes SoftRasterizer really slow but OpenGL gets full speed so I'm thinking of making OpenGL my default 3D Render for the games now and only switch to SoftRasterizer if I encounter an issue.

So, between SoftRasterizer or OpenGL, which one gives the best results most of the time in the other games?

Last edited by xZabuzax (2022-05-26 04:57:27)

#2 2022-05-26 06:30:14

rogerman

Re: SoftRasterizer vs OpenGL in v0.9.13?

"Best results" is really dependent on what you're going for. Both 3D renderers have their strengths and weaknesses.

But in general:
1. For raw emulation accuracy, SoftRasterizer renders 3D more accurately than OpenGL.
2. SoftRasterizer always provides consistent 3D rendering results in all situations, while OpenGL's 3D rendering results may be inconsistent due to inconsistent graphics drivers.
3. For low resolutions, SoftRasterizer is certainly faster than OpenGL. For high resolutions, OpenGL may be faster than SoftRasterizer.
4. For machines with powerful CPUs and weak GPUs (like many of Intel i7s w/ iGPUs,) SoftRasterizer will certainly be faster than OpenGL. Good OpenGL performance requires a good GPU.
5. For extremely old machines (basically anything older than an Intel Core 2 Duo), OpenGL will be faster than SoftRasterizer.
6. OpenGL has extra graphics features that SoftRasterizer lacks, such as Texture Smoothing and MSAA. However, these options are not native NDS features, and can therefore make things look subjectively better or definitely worse, depending on the game.
7. OpenGL can take advantage of the full 24-bit colorspace, which results in rich colors and perfectly smooth gradients (this is inaccurate to the NDS). SoftRasterizer is limited to the 18-bit colorspace, which is accurate to the NDS, but does result in color banding on gradients.

So again, "best results" really depends on your personal preferences. Hope this helps.

Last edited by rogerman (2022-05-26 06:36:22)

#3 2022-05-26 06:44:29

xZabuzax

Re: SoftRasterizer vs OpenGL in v0.9.13?

rogerman wrote:

"Best results" is really dependent on what you're going for. Both 3D renderers have their strengths and weaknesses.

But in general:
1. For raw emulation accuracy, SoftRasterizer renders 3D more accurately than OpenGL.
2. SoftRasterizer always provides consistent 3D rendering results in all situations, while OpenGL's 3D rendering results may be inconsistent due to inconsistent graphics drivers.
3. For low resolutions, SoftRasterizer is certainly faster than OpenGL. For high resolutions, OpenGL may be faster than SoftRasterizer.
4. For machines with powerful CPUs and weak GPUs (like many of Intel i7s w/ iGPUs,) SoftRasterizer will certainly be faster than OpenGL. Good OpenGL performance requires a good GPU.
5. For extremely old machines (basically anything older than an Intel Core 2 Duo), OpenGL will be faster than SoftRasterizer.
6. OpenGL has extra graphics features that SoftRasterizer lacks, such as Texture Smoothing and MSAA. However, these options are not native NDS features, and can therefore make things look subjectively better or definitely worse, depending on the game.
7. OpenGL can take advantage of the full 24-bit colorspace, which results in rich colors and perfectly smooth gradients (this is inaccurate to the NDS). SoftRasterizer is limited to the 18-bit colorspace, which is accurate to the NDS, but does result in color banding on gradients.

So again, "best results" really depends on your personal preferences. Hope this helps.

Awesome, this is the type of response that I needed, thank you mate!

Board footer