You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2020-11-03 03:59:44

gregdawiz

Can't add cheat at an address

Hello, Im attempting to find where a specific value is stored. In doing this, I found values I wanted to freeze or poke in order to test what they did. However, when I try to add a cheat to freeze them it says it cannot be added, and when i try to poke the value in memory viewer it immediately reverses to the old value. Is there some out of range thing when using AR to set values in memory, or maybe something hardwired into desmume? Sorry if the answer is somewhere else online, multiple google searches proved unhelpful.

PS. For specifics on what exactly I am trying to access, I cant access any memory addresses higher than 0x027E0000 in Yoshis Island Ds. I am on 0.9.11 windowsx64 version. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

#2 2020-11-03 17:40:21

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Can't add cheat at an address

The source code does not contain the string "cannot be added".
Desmume does not say "it cannot be added"
Desmume 0.9.11 leaves the 'add' box disabled for DTCM addresses when adding 'internal' cheats. You have described 'the add button is disabled' as "it says it cannot be added" which wasted my time.
Use a newer version of desmume.
Further, please understand that AR cheats do not freeze, but rather pulse once per frame. I am sorry the designer of the cheat window used the 'freeze' term there. It is a lie. I am going to revise the user interface so it tells the truth.

#3 2020-11-03 19:33:13

gregdawiz

Re: Can't add cheat at an address

Ok. Sorry about not being clear. Figured they were synonymous to developers but i guess i could see how a popup window or something could say "cannot be added" for cases seperate then cases where youd just disable the button. Just wasnt thinking that much about wording when i was writting this. (scrolling through memory for hours tires a dude out). Just grabbed the latest version (0.9.12 VS2019). Ill let you know if i get the same issues with this.

Board footer