You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2020-07-19 23:13:53

TEMP_0

Access game process memory externally ?

Hello, I'd like to know if there's an implemented way outside offered by the GUI to access and eventually edit the memory of a running game fully programmatically, i.e. opening a port / accessing it through some script, preferably on Linux but I'm interested in a mean with Windows as well
I am actually more focused on the reading part, the writing being just to be able to input commands (nothing related to TAS), but if not possible I might find another way.

I am not sure GDB helps in this case, but I may be wrong?

Thank you in advance

[Edited]

Last edited by TEMP_0 (2020-07-21 08:14:40)

#2 2020-07-20 15:14:40

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Access game process memory externally ?

if you haven't found tools > view memory yet, then you lack the hacking powers to do anything to the game. Or else, you aren't using windows and you lack the operating system to hack video games. You can also use lua.

#3 2020-07-20 16:07:45

TEMP_0

Thanks for your answer
It's more likely the second option (a shame this is not implemented in the Linux version), but anyway I'm actually looking for a way to view the memory from outside the GUI, so it still would not help.

Lua scripting sounds like a good way to go though I do not know much about the extent of its capabilities applied here, saw the option in some screenshot and out of curiosity I wanted to try it only to find it's also not available in the latest build for Linux

#4 2020-07-21 02:13:15

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Oh, I misread.
Use "Cheat engine" (i.e. cheatengine.org) and a windows VM.

#5 2020-07-21 08:00:31

TEMP_0

No problem, I must admit my initial post wasn't totally clear, as a matter of fact I noticed that I forgot to tell the reading should also be programmatic, so Cheat Engine will also not help much in my case (thanks for the suggestion, though). I will edit that.

I found some interesting sources about Lua scripting (that the DeSmuME wiki seems to lack sadly) and it now really seems it's what I'm looking for. The problem is still that it's not available for Linux build users. As a side question, is it planned to be added at some point? I know there's only a minority using this platform build but it would be nice to have it.

Anyway, unless there's a more practical solution I'll try the VM / Wine method for my memory experiments using Lua, but if by any chance there's a better solution I'm still interested.

#6 2020-07-21 16:03:07

zeromus
Radical Ninja

There are no plans to touch the linux desmume. Invest in a windows VM.
You can also try bizhawk, which has melonds and lua support. Supposedly it runs on linux, but YMMV.

#7 2020-07-21 16:11:08

TEMP_0

Oh, too bad.

Thanks for the suggestion, again.

Board footer