You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2020-07-02 04:18:54

mkikoen

Macos: needs hotkey bindings (especially for state hotkeys)

The biggest annoyance I have always had using this emulator on Macintosh OS X is I always accidentally press the #2 key on my keyboard and it reverts to an older save every time, forcing me to loss hours of progress on my game.

I've had enough with this load / save state slot crap because I cannot disable it for whatever reason since I'm tired of losing so much progress whenever I accidentally press "2" and cannot disable the hotkeys.

That needs to be disabled in a new update because it is the most annoying problem I've had to put up with for too long now.

#2 2020-07-02 04:20:42

mkikoen

Re: Macos: needs hotkey bindings (especially for state hotkeys)

Other than that, this emulator has always worked very well, but this overly ridiculous load / save state slot crap needs to be turned off as an option in a new update because this has caused me far too much rage as it is.

#3 2020-07-02 17:51:44

zeromus
Radical Ninja

This isn't going to be changed. I would have expected the hotkey to be f2 rather than 2, but it's almost the same thing. It's almost-universal for the F2 key to load a state in emulators. Nobody else is complaining. Usually you can unbind hotkeys. Can you do that in the macos desmume? Finally, if you're investing a lot of time in something, you should make backups.

#4 2020-07-03 19:33:12

mkikoen

No, I cannot even unbind the hotkeys because apparently no inputs have been mapped to Load State Slot or Save State Slot, and yet I can just press 1 or 2 and it screws things up. I need to figure out how to turn it off or unbind them because this is problematic for me. If it was F1 or F2 like you said this wouldn't be a big problem for me, but because all I have to do is just press one key, it'll mess things up because I just prefer to save manually in the game, NOT through the emulator so that the data gets saved properly.

I now just found out that since I tried to fix my progress several times, it looks like the saved data from the state slots have become corrupted or something since something got messed up.  So I have to restart my progress pretty early on in the game.

And I can also confirm that for some dumb reason, the buttons to Load State Slots are literally 1-10, not F1-F10, which is very dumb because to save a state slot I need to press Command > 1 or Command > 2, but you cannot press two keys to load a state slot, you just press one, which is more than likely for someone like me to accidentally press the wrong button.

I unfortunately cannot reconfigure the buttons to load a state slot to F1-F10 or even turn off one of the save slots since 2 slots are open, and I'd prefer to only have one open, so I can't do that either.

Apparently these aren't hotkeys, they're hardwired into the system itself whenever I go to [File] > [Load State Slot] > [Slot 1    1], [File] > [Load State Slot] > [Slot 2    2],  and so on,  [File] > [Save State Slot] > [✓Slot 1    ⇧1], [File] > [Save State Slot] > [✓Slot 2   ⇧2 ].

That really should be changed or something because I'm afraid I'll accidentally press 1 or 2 and then everything will be lost again, forcing me to redo over 3 and a half hours of gameplay. That's why I don't want to make backups until I get back to where I were but I may have no other choice at this point.

I don't know what else to do here, I'm stumped.

Last edited by mkikoen (2020-07-03 20:16:15)

#5 2020-07-03 20:03:42

mkikoen

If these are hotkeys in Windows, they certainly aren't hotkeys in the Macintosh desmume emulator, which really doesn't make any sense to me at all since I would think the functionality would be the same or at least similar to what the other operating systems use to configure the hotkeys.

I guess all I can say is this, I hope that gets fixed or something in a new development release for Macintosh because I've been playing Bowser's Inside Story on the emulator and everything works fine but I really don't want to screw up again and accidentally press the wrong button when they really should be set to F1-F10.

I don't exactly know where to download the newest development releases of the desmume emulator for Macintosh since the website is a little outdated, and I find it confusing where to download the latest development releases since apparently they're on GitHub, it's hard for me to find them as I'm not a programmer and there also doesn't seem to be an official download directory branch on your website if I'm not mistaken since it's confusing for me to find where to download them.

As a comparison, whenever I need to download the latest version of the Dolphin Emulator, they're website always has a very big download branch broken up into several pages of many different development versions, beta versions, and stable versions that the user can download and install to their computer very easily, but on your website it seems a lot more difficult since I don't exactly know where to find them since the download page isn't as organized since it doesn't have very easy navigation or a database or downloadable files.

So if you could point me in the right direction where to find them that would help.

#6 2020-07-04 07:02:48

fintogive
Website

mkikoen wrote:

Slightly off topic, and if you need me to start a new forum for this then I understand.

I would also appreciate in the future if the web designers could redesign the download page and the desmume website if possible in the future to have a more appropriate modern layout where it's designed into a download database branch like how Dolphin's website works where all the development, stable, and older releases are hosted and multiple pages neatly and organized into a full complete layout. That way the user doesn't have to keep searching through multiple websites or pages where to find the downloadable files instead of just posting a couple downloadable links and other web links that just take you to another page to only have you download the latest version that was posted on desmume's download page. It's very confusing to me since it's not organized into a database download branch.

(Here's the download page of the Dolphin Emulator if you want to compare: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/)

Trust me, that redesign I promise will make it much easier for users to find what they're looking for, especially since it looks like the Desmume website hasn't been updated in several years since the design still looks like a blog post, no offense.

Finally, I really hope that the buttons to Load up a State Slot on Macintosh will hopefully be re-configured in a future development release from 1-10 to F1-F10 so I won't accidentally press the wrong buttons and loss so much progress, assuming I can find where the downloads are.

I hate to say this but asking zeromus to do something extra for desmume is like talking to a brick wall.   i can name off features that need to be added for desmume that haven't happened. (example: no hot plug for usb controllers or basic tools for making codes <_<)  im not sure what game you are playing but if you arnt using a controller get your self a usb controller so you don't accidentally press your keys on your keyboard.  personally i dont have this issue  but i use the windows build and a controller.

Good luck

#7 2020-07-04 18:40:46

mkikoen

Forget what I just said about the website re-design, that's something I'll start a new forum on later.

Look, all I'm saying is for the developers to make a change to the Load State Slot at least in the Macintosh version to allow me to configure it to a hotkey like F1-F10, is that so hard to ask?

I'm not gonna shell out money to buy a USB Controller that I know I'll never use just to mitigate the problem of accidentally pressing the wrong keys.

I even saw in the Desmume Windows Manual that you can configure the hotkeys for Saving and Loading a State Slot, which is clearly something that the Macintosh version lacks.

This is an easy change that can be made in a new update to the emulator, and once it gets changed so I can reconfigure it to F1-F10,  I'm sure I won't accidentally press the wrong keys anymore and I'll be able to move forward.

I'm still playing the game on Desmume now even after I lost all that much progress and I'm still just being cautious that my fingers don't press 1 or 2.

Desmume Emulator works very well, but if that change could be made that would really help because that's literally the only problem I'm experiencing with it.

#8 2020-07-04 18:59:46

mkikoen

Let me reiterate one thing: The Save and Load State Slots don't need to be disabled in a new update, as you've all made that quite clear that would really negatively impact the games in case backups need to be made in the emulator.

So the title in the thread can be ignored.

All I'm saying is for there to just make a slight change to the Macintosh version so I can re-configure the buttons to hotkeys to F1-F10 like in Windows.

That's All. Just because you've haven't experienced this problem doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed. It's an easy fix.

#9 2020-07-04 19:38:03

zeromus
Radical Ninja

If you spent as much time making backups as you spent complaining, you would never lose any progress.
Adding hotkey binding, where there is no hotkey binding capabilities currently, is not a "small" change. And even small changes are impossible due to the mac developer being AWOL.

fintogive: what basic tools for making codes are you missing? haven't I fixed every cheat related issue youve ever posted?

#10 2020-07-04 22:04:50

mkikoen

Zeromus: I HAVE been making saved backups recently since I've grown tired of this happening to me so frequently.

I'm just requesting that in the future when any Mac developers decide to contribute, they'll implement this hotkey binding for Mac.

Clearly you guys aren't going to help. That's apparent. So fine, I've had enough of all of this condescending attitude when all I'm trying to do is give some helpful advice, excluding my complaining from all the frustration I've put up with.

I'll look elsewhere.

Board footer