You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2020-03-21 00:34:08

Annie

No video in virtual box

Hi, i have a very specific problem

I have to use desmume within virtualbox, on a freshly installed windows 7 VM. the windows iso is genuine and guest addition drivers have been installed. everything else is working. but when i try to run desmume i get sound so it obviously runs, but instead of video i get grey screens and a black screen gap.

i already tried "config > display method > directdraw HW, SW, or open GL" and none of that worked.

i appreciate any help in either solving or understanding this problem better. if you can help me figure out the reason why something is not working i might be able to use that info to try and see if the VirtualBox people can help me further. but for now i gotta start here.

please do not question my setup or tell me to try something else instead. if it doesn't help me to get it to work from within a windows 7 VM in virtualbox it won't be helpful to me.

thank you in advance.

#2 2020-03-21 03:35:19

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: No video in virtual box

config > display method is designed to solve this kind of problem.

The gap is handled differently in the different display methods. It is implausible to me that you got the same results from all three display methods. I suspect you've tried ONE game, which was dual screen 3d, and you're using the opengl 3d renderer, and due to your gimpy environment, it isn't working. Changing to softrasterizer should fix it. if not, then there's nothing else you can do.

#3 2020-03-21 06:45:45

Annie

zeromus wrote:

config > display method is designed to solve this kind of problem.

The gap is handled differently in the different display methods. It is implausible to me that you got the same results from all three display methods.

like i said i tried all 3 and nothing changed. i would not have specified that otherwise.

zeromus wrote:

I suspect you've tried ONE game, which was dual screen 3d

not sure what you mean by the game being 'dual screen 3d', as i doubt that there is a game out there which has that as its name. and from what i can tell it is a game independent issue. as everything is working just fine outside of the VM environment.

zeromus wrote:

and you're using the opengl 3d renderer, and due to your gimpy environment, it isn't working. Changing to softrasterizer should fix it. if not, then there's nothing else you can do.

it was already set to softrasterizer to begin with. in fact it wouldn't let me select and try anything else.

rather than just calling my setup a 'gimpy environment' it would be more helpful to me if you told me what it is that desmume needs from it that it fails to provide, so i can try and see if i can fix things on that front and make things work that way.

Last edited by Annie (2020-03-21 06:47:57)

#4 2020-03-21 07:56:26

zeromus
Radical Ninja

It needs directdraw or opengl to work.

I suppose it's also possible you only tried ONE game and also that game happens to be gray screens unless softrasterizer is used, and outside of the VM environment you didn't use softrasterizer.

I'm just thinking of all the possibilities here, besides directdraw and opengl being broken. There aren't many.

#5 2020-03-25 17:00:20

Annie

zeromus wrote:

It needs directdraw or opengl to work.

from my dxdiag within the VM:

DirectX Features:
DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled
Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled

Notes:
- No problems found.

so it seems like work it should, but i'll ask in the Vbox forums about it as well.

zeromus wrote:

I suppose it's also possible you only tried ONE game and also that game happens to be gray screens unless softrasterizer is used, and outside of the VM environment you didn't use softrasterizer.

indeed i tested only one game, but the game is not the issue, as it works outside the VM but not inside of it. softrasterizer is used both inside and outside of the VM so thats not it either.

zeromus wrote:

I'm just thinking of all the possibilities here, besides directdraw and opengl being broken. There aren't many.

thanks, i will try and see what i can dig up with this info.

#6 2020-03-25 20:21:39

zeromus
Radical Ninja

"enabled" doesn't mean "working"

Board footer