You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2019-04-23 11:03:37

Minunlike

Harvest Moon DS Cute Savegames Issue

I'm using the newest version of desmume, 0.9.11 x64. But for some reason, whenever I try to save with the ingame menu, it won't keep my save. (literally, I'll tap Save, it will say "game saved", and with the game Still Open I'll attempt to load the save and it will tell me "no save data".)

It wasn't an issue at first, I got by just fine on savestates alone. Now though, I'm encountering the apparently common "game freezes the night before wedding" bug, which I read could be fixed by saving and loading ingame. So the problem I have is kinda obvious... and any solution that doesn't involve restarting my entire game from scratch would be much appreciated.

#2 2019-04-23 19:08:08

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Harvest Moon DS Cute Savegames Issue

I've never heard of this game before, nor it freezing right before the wedding, but typically when that happens, it's because the game has accumulated bugs due to emulation errors. Therefore the game is in an unstable state already, and probably it isn't capable of saving in-game anymore.

Next time, save in-game early and reload frequently.

Also DO NOT leave the game "still open". That defeats the purpose--it will leave the game broken and try to load the in-game save on top of the broken condition. Close the emulator before loads of save files.

#3 2019-04-23 19:42:34

Minunlike

I searched the game's name on this forum, and found at least two other people who encountered the exact same freezing issue I'm experiencing. They were posted years ago, but still too similar to ignore.

Also, I have attempted multiple times to save in-game from the beginning of my playthrough and have always had the same issue. I tried both closing and reopening the emulator, and loading from an open game. I've used multiple roms of this game. The issue still persists, it refuses to keep my saved games. That's the reason I finally resorted to savestates only.

Even if emulation errors are somehow responsible, I don't think they're the only issue behind it. Aside from the inability to save in-game, I had absolutely zero issues with gameplay until this freezing came up.

#4 2019-04-23 20:43:49

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Oh, wow, you're right. It's been a while, I guess. Maybe you can see why I forgot it: nobody I discussed it with ever followed up. Also I probably got it confused with much more popular harvest moon games which have similar problems.

Before I posted, I tested saving in-game (and then loading) and it worked fine. Perhaps multiple versions of the rom you attempted are all broken. Mine has an MD5 of 0f391f2eddb2a7e3b082fa036bb2878c and I checked on 0.9.11 x64 (by the way, this is NOT the newest version of desmume; check the downloads page. Anyway I do not expect any newer version to have any different results for you)

Perhaps you're cheating (you didn't confirm or deny)

Your analysis about emulation errors is incorrect. Your evidence has no bearing on the conclusion you draw.  And there are a wealth of comparable situations where game freezes are avoided solely by resetting the game (maintaining progress through in-game saves).

#5 2019-04-23 20:58:50

Minunlike

I did use cheats at one point, but the issue with saving was still happening before then. I had hoped there would at least be a fix for the saving issue, which would have hopefully fixed the freezing issue as it did for one of the other people who had this problem, but it sounds like there's already nothing to be done.

I'm probably just going to go out and pick up an actual copy of the game, it seems like a better alternative to trying to emulate again and running into another issue like this. I appreciate the help/input nonetheless though.

#6 2019-04-23 21:50:33

zeromus
Radical Ninja

ok. sorry your rom doesnt work, when my rom does. if you ever figure out what's wrong with yours, please write back and let us know

#7 2019-04-24 00:07:27

Minunlike

I've been trying some different things, but for some reason I'm just. still not able to save this specific game in this emulator at all. I honestly don't get it.

I've tried fresh copies of different versions of the rom with fresh downloads of several slightly earlier versions of the emulator itself, contained within entirely different isolated folders and directories. no cheats, no previous savestates, nothing whatsoever. and every time, I'm still having the exact same issue. the in-game save feature just does not work.

At this point I'm convinced that it's either an internal problem with my computer, or otherwise there's something I myself am doing wrong in the process of opening, saving and loading. Or maybe there's some configuration issue I'm not getting.

#8 2019-04-24 01:23:11

zeromus
Radical Ninja

The game has a really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really bad and weird save/load menu. It is not at all clear how it works. Maybe you just aren't actually saving it?

Board footer