You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2018-10-29 08:11:53

DeadSkullzJr

A Few Issues With Some Games

Hello, for a while now I have been playing with a few of the games that I have here, unfortunately they either completely crash the emulator (no error messages, the emulator closes itself) or they end up working but can't save, use cheats, etc. The following games with these issues is the following:

Loads but can't use saves or use cheats: (yes I am aware demos cannot actually save HOWEVER demos still tend to have a generated save file regardless)
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Blue Rescue Team (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It) (Demo) (Kiosk) - https://datomatic.no-intro.org/?page=sh … =28&n=x063
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Sky (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It) (Demo) (Kiosk) - https://datomatic.no-intro.org/?page=sh … =28&n=x153
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Time + Explorers of Darkness (USA) (Demo) (Kiosk) - https://datomatic.no-intro.org/?page=sh … =28&n=x195

Games that simply crash the emulator:
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Sky - Hidden Shopkeeper Village (Europe) (Multiboot Demo) (Nintendo Channel) - https://datomatic.no-intro.org/?page=sh … =65&n=0295
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Sky - Little Plains (Europe) (Multiboot Demo) (Nintendo Channel) - https://datomatic.no-intro.org/?page=sh … =65&n=0296
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Sky - Trial Forest (Europe) (Multiboot Demo) (Nintendo Channel) - https://datomatic.no-intro.org/?page=sh … =65&n=0294
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Time + Explorers of Darkness (Europe) (Demo) (Kiosk) - https://datomatic.no-intro.org/?page=sh … =28&n=x128

#2 2018-10-29 09:06:47

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: A Few Issues With Some Games

"Demos cannot save." "I can't use saves" <-------- does not compute. Please clarify.

Nobody has made cheats for demos. Whatever cheats you're using are for the wrong game.  They shouldn't work.

As for the crashes, no doubt it's due to it being a (garbage) file with a .nds extension

#3 2018-10-29 12:27:47

DeadSkullzJr

I actually made cheats for the demos for the sake of potential hidden content in the demos (Nintendo tends to leave behind some interesting stuff). As for your comment about saves "does not compute", fun fact, most kiosk demos actually generate save files even though you cannot save in game. I already mentioned that I was aware that demos don't save in game in my comment above. Reread and read carefully next time please. "Garbage file" dude, I would not go there lol, I can list plenty of garbage issues from the emulator. The ROMs are actually just fine, YOU just didn't make the emulator 100% compatible with every game. In fact they run perfectly on MelonDS (being a more true accurate DS simulator, no offense) and flascharts (aka REAL hardware).

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr (2018-10-29 12:33:24)

#4 2018-10-29 20:49:06

zeromus
Radical Ninja

If your own home-made cheats don't work, then your skills at making cheats are the problem.

I've read what you wrote carefully about 20 times. Whatever you're saying about saves still does not compute. The only problem you wrote is "can't use saves", and those games can't save in game. OK, so is there a bug? Game can't save and user can't save seems like 100% successful matching emulation

As for garbage files, I'll have to wait until I can test a file with this problem to see what's going on. But keep in mind flash carts have a financial incentive to load garbage, and melonds loading it is just one more data point. It may be forgiving of garbage. Flash carts aren't real hardware, by the way, at least not at the point of loading up a rom. There is quite a bit of logic interposed to clean things up.

#5 2018-10-29 21:44:27

DeadSkullzJr

zeromus wrote:

If your own home-made cheats don't work, then your skills at making cheats are the problem.

I've read what you wrote carefully about 20 times. Whatever you're saying about saves still does not compute. The only problem you wrote is "can't use saves", and those games can't save in game. OK, so is there a bug? Game can't save and user can't save seems like 100% successful matching emulation

As for garbage files, I'll have to wait until I can test a file with this problem to see what's going on. But keep in mind flash carts have a financial incentive to load garbage, and melonds loading it is just one more data point. It may be forgiving of garbage. Flash carts aren't real hardware, by the way, at least not at the point of loading up a rom. There is quite a bit of logic interposed to clean things up.

Since you are way too arrogant to even test out your own software, how about I show you the problem instead via screenshots. Before you ask YES my paths are set perfectly, I never changed the paths the emulator had set by default.

https://i.postimg.cc/zX2sz2dy/1.png
https://i.postimg.cc/nh6N7jfZ/2.png

"If your own home-made cheats don't work, then your skills at making cheats are the problem." Buddy I have been making cheats for quite some time now, you my friend don't even understand the cheat system in your own emulator, give me a break. These "home made" codes work perfectly, I always test before submitting codes to the public, since your emulator was too stubborn or just flat out broken to even allow me to use them, I had to slap them on a test data file and test them on flashcarts (they worked flawlessly on them). Don't even try to bash MelonDS, it doesn't run "garbage files", if that is the case then the same can be said about your emulator too because yours can in fact run some of the ones I listed above and some other "garbage files" as you say. Boy you must have really let stuff slip through the cracks with that one right?

Also one more thing, I get the fact you put work into this emulator and for that I am grateful for, HOWEVER that doesn't give you a right to be an arrogant ass to everyone you speak to. You want respect then you must give respect back. Maybe if you put more dedication into understanding peoples issues and the issues with your emulator MAYBE just maybe you will reach a couple or so milestones. I am being kind enough to tell you these issues for the sake of your own software, the least you could do as a developer is actually give a damn about the issue and solve it so EVERYONE can actually have a better time with your stuff. I am sorry some other people on here may not be technical or just flat out troll, but not everyone is the same person. Be a human being please and just be an example of a good developer and not a problem. I usually don't like being an ass to people either, but on occasions like this it's practically required.

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr (2018-10-29 21:44:51)

#6 2018-10-29 21:51:51

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Seems like the length of the filenames, or something about the characters in the filenames you're using are too long or too weird. That the same thing basically happens for cheats and saves both is a big clue that it's related to the filesystem + the paths you're using. Maybe the same thing causes flakeouts while loading the roms, without the files being garbage. You could try running it in visual studio and seeing where that crash comes from. But for now I suggest trying to rename them to c:\test\lollers.nds and see if that works (and move desmume into c:\test if needed)

#7 2018-10-29 22:41:21

DeadSkullzJr

zeromus wrote:

Seems like the length of the filenames, or something about the characters in the filenames you're using are too long or too weird. That the same thing basically happens for cheats and saves both is a big clue that it's related to the filesystem + the paths you're using. Maybe the same thing causes flakeouts while loading the roms, without the files being garbage. You could try running it in visual studio and seeing where that crash comes from. But for now I suggest trying to rename them to c:\test\lollers.nds and see if that works (and move desmume into c:\test if needed)

That actually seemed to fix the issue, thank you for your help. Seems weird how the emulators respond to certain file names. Saves and cheats work as well, thanks again! (did not name it lollers.nds lol)

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr (2018-10-29 22:41:53)

#8 2018-10-29 23:22:28

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Can you tell me what filenames you were using so I can figure out what went wrong

#9 2018-10-30 03:06:32

DeadSkullzJr

zeromus wrote:

Can you tell me what filenames you were using so I can figure out what went wrong

Sorry for the late response, here are the names of my games specifically (left them their default name):

- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Sky - Hidden Shopkeeper Village (Europe) (Multiboot Demo) (Nintendo Channel)
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Sky - Little Plains (Europe) (Multiboot Demo) (Nintendo Channel)
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Sky - Trial Forest (Europe) (Multiboot Demo) (Nintendo Channel)
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Time + Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Darkness (Europe) (Demo) (Kiosk)
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Time + Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Darkness (USA) (Demo) (Kiosk)
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Blue Rescue Team (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It) (Demo) (Kiosk)
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Sky (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It) (Demo) (Kiosk)

Renaming them to be shorter fixed it however. Still weird since most of them aren't too long for the emulator to run, I have seen games with longer names run just fine on the emulator.

#10 2018-10-30 03:50:17

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Because it's got to do with the entire path, not just the name of the file. Previously, you were using directories closer to the drive root.  Or rather, previously, you weren't using directories as long as the ones you're using now. To reproduce it I would probably need to know the entire directory you used -- not that there's anything I could do about it, because windows has a limit of 260 characters. But now it's clear the problem isn't the wacky characters.

As a tip for future reference when you get "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Sky - Hidden Shopkeeper Village (Europe) (Multiboot Demo) (Nintendo Channel).zip" which contains "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Sky - Hidden Shopkeeper Village (Europe) (Multiboot Demo) (Nintendo Channel).nds", don't dearchive the nds inside the same-named directory, but rather straight into a more normal directory with loose files in it--otherwise the absurd length of the file name counts twice against the limit

#11 2018-10-30 04:11:49

DeadSkullzJr

zeromus wrote:

Because it's got to do with the entire path, not just the name of the file. Previously, you were using directories closer to the drive root.  Or rather, previously, you weren't using directories as long as the ones you're using now. To reproduce it I would probably need to know the entire directory you used -- not that there's anything I could do about it, because windows has a limit of 260 characters. But now it's clear the problem isn't the wacky characters.

As a tip for future reference when you get "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Sky - Hidden Shopkeeper Village (Europe) (Multiboot Demo) (Nintendo Channel).zip" which contains "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Sky - Hidden Shopkeeper Village (Europe) (Multiboot Demo) (Nintendo Channel).nds", don't dearchive the nds inside the same-named directory, but rather straight into a more normal directory with loose files in it--otherwise the absurd length of the file name counts twice against the limit

That makes sense, I remember having to do that with a couple other games I had lying around, they had pretty lengthy titles. I completely spaced it though because I haven't had to do it to most games I actually play. I will definitely keep that in mind next time, thanks!

Board footer