You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2018-10-01 12:06:23

pery69

¿How can I solve this issue with antialiasing? (Transparent Borders)

Hi people! I've been searching for a solution for this problem for a long time but had no luck.

The thing is when I activate the antialiasing, which I like to use because in some games it fixes the "aspect pixel" of some sprites (makes every pixel of the sprite be exactly the same size) it seems to be bugged in some areas, specially in dark areas with illumination effects.

Link to screenshot of the issue: https://ibb.co/cacHRz

As you can see in the image, the borders of light effects in darkness (Pokemon Heart Gold) have a transparent issue making it look square.

The revision of the emulator that I use is the git#e6b3dfd-windows-x64, but it also happens in the Latest Stable Release: v0.9.11.
I know there are some outdated revisions that fix this issue, but in addition they give some other bugs solved in the latest revision, like the video sync which is perfect (in my opinion) in the git#e6b3dfd-windows-x64 revision.

If anyone could help me with this problem I would be very thankful!

Thanks in advance!

#2 2018-10-01 18:29:47

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: ¿How can I solve this issue with antialiasing? (Transparent Borders)

If outdated revisions "fix" this issue, it's by complete accident. I don't even consider it an issue. The antialiasing in desmume is a hack. It's not meant for every game. It isn't clear what it should do. Maybe it should do what's in your screen shot? If it ever looks good in pokemon, it's an accident.

Let me put it another way. It's like there's an option called "make everything red" intended to fix scenes that are missing red. But you think a scene with red should be more red, so you turn it on. But you dont want one thing to be too red. So you think the option that makes everything red is broken because it made that one thing too red. That option isn't even meant for you. Your scene isn't supposed to be that red.

You can also fix your varying pixel sizes by using a bigger window and using an HD prescale. It's possible you could then approximate the "anti-aliasing" option look by making sure config > display method > filter is enabled and then making the window small once again.

#3 2018-10-01 20:13:52

pery69

zeromus wrote:

If outdated revisions "fix" this issue, it's by complete accident. I don't even consider it an issue. The antialiasing in desmume is a hack. It's not meant for every game. It isn't clear what it should do. Maybe it should do what's in your screen shot? If it ever looks good in pokemon, it's an accident.

Let me put it another way. It's like there's an option called "make everything red" intended to fix scenes that are missing red. But you think a scene with red should be more red, so you turn it on. But you dont want one thing to be too red. So you think the option that makes everything red is broken because it made that one thing too red. That option isn't even meant for you. Your scene isn't supposed to be that red.

You can also fix your varying pixel sizes by using a bigger window and using an HD prescale. It's possible you could then approximate the "anti-aliasing" option look by making sure config > display method > filter is enabled and then making the window small once again.

Thanks for answering so soon. I'm not sure what you mean by HD prescale, assuming you was talking about the GPU Scaling factor I did try it but no luck, still there are some pixels that are not matched with others in size (specially in the player sprite[and his Pokemon]) and even using the filter.

ScreenShot of the thing: https://ibb.co/jL6yZK

Trying some other things I discovered that the SoftRasterizer Renderer with TXT Hack enabled fixed the "aspect pixel" issue but in addition it bring other bug, some black spots in the ground apears in some terrain areas. (sorry, but I'm too perfectionist xD).

This is a screenshot of the black spots: https://ibb.co/kZ6CTe

Thanks again for the paid attention! It would be great if you could help me "KILL" this spots and then help my perfeccionist mind play nds games in peace big_smile

Thanks in advance!

#4 2018-10-01 21:48:41

zeromus
Radical Ninja

oh yes you beat me to it, I was going to suggest it was TXT hack related based on your image before I read you say that.
The spots can't be killed and the strangely sized pixels at the edges of things can't be fixed, apart from trying the opengl renderer.
Give up.
have fun.

Board footer