You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
WiFi not emulated and not supported!!
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2018-03-03 11:29:44

swordsumo

Issue with save file loading and ROM loading in general

I've been playing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorer's of Sky and using both save files and save states to load my game, usually using save states when I need to turn off my computer or load in at a different time, and save files for just saving the game as I forget to save for long stretches of time. So midway through a dungeon (Deep Brine Cave to be specific) I get knocked out, and returned to a halfway point. I close the emulator and go to reopen it, to reload my save file, but the ROM won't open. This has happened before, and last time, when I loaded a save STATE, it worked, but I couldn't reset to any point in order to load the save FILE. I have an idea as to how I could fix this, though. If the emulator loads an actual file, and doesn't override that file when loading a state, I could load a state, go to the main menu (without saving the game), and load the file, which should load the one I want. If that doesn't work, I honestly have no idea what to do.

I'm running desmume version 0.9.11, windows 32 bit version so I can use a controller, but I do also have the 64 bit version if that one will work better. I have all my roms has JAR files that can be loaded through WinRAR and in a separate folder from the one in the Emulator's folder, for organizational reasons. I'm presently running Windows 10 on a laptop, but I can switch to a different device if the laptop is the problem. Thanks in advance.

#2 2018-03-03 23:01:37

fintogive
Website

Re: Issue with save file loading and ROM loading in general

you are using a very old version of desmume.  first to fix your game try deleting the INI file.

next download the latest version of desmume here
64 bit (works with controller)
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down … 31k3eY0DbV

32 bit
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down … YUv1RpXUs2

Desmume has had a lot of fixes and improvements over the past few years. so any issues you might have had might be fixed in this version.

#3 2018-03-03 23:55:38

swordsumo

I downloaded the emulator and loaded up the rom, and it started fine, but there's no save file. Did it just not actually save in the rom? What other steps should I take? If it helps, I loaded a save state from several hours previous, which may have overwritten the actual save.

#4 2018-03-04 07:48:35

zeromus
Radical Ninja

save files do not save in the rom. you should save in-game frequently and backup the .dsv file that's produced. Also savestate frequently and back those up for good measure.

Board footer