You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2018-02-25 21:22:10

ComputerBot2016

Strange crashing issue with simple AR codes

I use Desmume mostly for making AR codes for MKDS, and normally I have no issues whatsoever. But today, something very strange occurred. I was testing values for a simple RAM write code. Everything was working ok at first, but then after half an hour Desmume crashes. No big deal, restart, try again. Come to retest a value for my code that I know for certain works, emulator crashes again. Wut? Try again. Crash again. Do this about 5 times before restarting my computer. After computer reboots, it STILL crashes. End up finding that I have another separate version/copy of Desmume on my computer, try running code in this version. Works again. Wtf?! I have absolutely no idea why this happened, does anyone else?

#2 2018-02-26 06:04:29

AsPoke3172

Re: Strange crashing issue with simple AR codes

1.   The codes are you found maybe changed randomly depend on stages, places etc. So, it was called pointer codes.
2.   Please use Desmume version 0.9.11 for safe mode, before testing your codes with latest Desmume GIT version.
3.   Make sure you are testing codes not only on Desmume, also must tested on No$gba and real DS to sure it works.

#3 2018-02-26 06:33:25

ComputerBot2016

AsPoke3172 wrote:

1.   The codes are you found maybe changed randomly depend on stages, places etc. So, it was called pointer codes.
2.   Please use Desmume version 0.9.11 for safe mode, before testing your codes with latest Desmume GIT version.
3.   Make sure you are testing codes not only on Desmume, also must tested on No$gba and real DS to sure it works.

1. It isn't a pointer based code, these values are always stored in the same addresses
2. Not quite sure what you mean by 'safe mode', but I only use 0.9.11 anyway
3. My next thought was to test with No$gba anyway, although I don't normally use it. But I needed to test values for this code without the emulator crashing. In the end I found another copy of Desmume on my computer, and everything seemed to work again. I also do like to check codes with my real AR and DS, but I normally do this last

#4 2018-02-26 06:57:20

AsPoke3172

OK! Good job! smile

#5 2018-02-26 10:12:01

ComputerBot2016

I managed to fix the original copy of Desmume I was using by deleting the config file.
Why tho lol

#6 2018-02-26 15:07:39

zeromus
Radical Ninja

cheats can interfere with the jit, maybe one config has jit enabled and the other doesnt

#7 2018-02-26 15:32:45

ComputerBot2016

zeromus wrote:

cheats can interfere with the jit, maybe one config has jit enabled and the other doesnt

Seems odd that the config would get changed after crashing tho. It was also weird because some values for the code still worked with the broken config, but other values didn't(and they worked before the config broke)

#8 2018-02-27 05:02:37

fintogive
Website

ive seen your hack vids on youtube.  im davidevgen.  as long as you are using the latest build version of desmume all bugs with the code engine have been fixed. (thats i know of)  desmume isnt the best for making code unfortunately due to the bugged limited disassembler.  ive heard there a special version of no$gba that is made for finding or making codes for ds games.  personally i used a DS trainer tool kit to make my codes back in the day.   glad you were able to fix the issue though!  just leave jit off wile making or using codes.

#9 2018-02-27 15:49:39

ComputerBot2016

fintogive wrote:

ive seen your hack vids on youtube.  im davidevgen.  as long as you are using the latest build version of desmume all bugs with the code engine have been fixed. (thats i know of)  desmume isnt the best for making code unfortunately due to the bugged limited disassembler.  ive heard there a special version of no$gba that is made for finding or making codes for ds games.  personally i used a DS trainer tool kit to make my codes back in the day.   glad you were able to fix the issue though!  just leave jit off wile making or using codes.

I thought I recognised the name fintogive.

Now I think about it, it might've been because I accidentally pressed the hot key that switches CPU modes, which is right next to the hotkey that pauses the emulation(which I use a lot when making codes). So maybe my finger slipped when pausing at one point

Board footer