You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2017-06-26 00:22:49

mgitkun

General Question: macOS vs. Windows builds

I've seen a few posts, namely by rogerman, that imply/say the macOS build performs notably better in addition to being able to render the two screens separately. 

rogerman wrote:

Most of the performance issues with the Windows port has to do with the following:
1. Using the CPU to perform video tasks that should be done on the GPU (scaling, rotation, filters, etc.)
2. Extraneous framebuffer copying.
3. Video output is not DMA transferred from main RAM to the GPU.
The DMA transfer issue is a major bottleneck in the Windows port that is greatly exacerbated by high resolution rendering. For the record, DeSmuME X432R has a Direct3D display mode that does support DMA transfers on virtually every GPU out there. In fact, this is one of the big performance advantages that X432R has over our Windows port.

How much better does it actually perform, is the OSX build comparable in performance to X432R or DraStic?   

I don't have a hackintosh or a mac with windows on it to test both and I haven't seen anybody compare them head to head.     

I know this isn't a bug or issue but I couldn't find any hard info on it, I apologize in advance if this question isn't appropriate for this forum/subforum.

Last edited by mgitkun (2017-06-26 00:28:45)

i5 2500K - CPU | GTX 480 - GPU | 8GB - RAM | TX650 - PSU | Windows 7 x64 - OS

#2 2017-06-26 01:07:06

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: General Question: macOS vs. Windows builds

Don't hold your breath for test results. Everyone who's considering installing windows on their mac for gaming has already done it for reasons far more compelling than ~FPS more in pokemon.

#3 2017-06-26 01:42:59

mgitkun

Re: General Question: macOS vs. Windows builds

zeromus wrote:

Don't hold your breath for test results. Everyone who's considering installing windows on their mac for gaming has already done it for reasons far more compelling than ~FPS more in pokemon.

haha, I don't play pokemon; if I did I would know better than to post here about any woes I had.

I didn't expect much to come of this post, figured it was worth a shot though.

i5 2500K - CPU | GTX 480 - GPU | 8GB - RAM | TX650 - PSU | Windows 7 x64 - OS

Board footer