So I'm unable to launch Desmume on my PC, it crashes (just quits without an error message before the window is even created) as soon as I try to launch it. I've tried redownloading and also installing the "prerequisite installer" but still nothing.
The computer is dedicated to emulators and has a specific config: it runs on WinXP 64 (with many programs/accessories uninstalled), an old ATI radeon HD graphic card that outputs a 15kHz video signal to a CRT TV, desktop resolution is 640x480.
I'm guessing Desmume doesn't agree with something in this config, but what could it be?
- is there something missing in my Windows XP "light" that's required by Desmume, or some service that I've disabled? What exactly does Desmume need?
- is there a minimal resolution that Desmume accepts?
If it helps narrow it down, I have the same problem with PPSSPP. Maybe both programs are made with the same framework, need the same dependencies? What would those be?
i dont know anything about ppsspp. you can use dependency walker to look for any surprises. also sometimes event viewer will contain information about stuff that quits without an error message before the window is created.
desmume uses directdraw by default. try running it on another system, changing some config settings, and copying the ini over
Thanks for replying. I had checked the event viewer and there's nothing there that seems related to desmume.
I found out something very weird: I moved the desmume folder to a subfolder (e.g. from "emulators/" to "emulators/_not working/" and the program actually starts when I execute it from there! If however I move it to somewhere else or just rename the folder (e.g. from "desmume-0.9.11-win32" to "desmume") then it no longer works.
So it doesn't seem like it's related to directdraw or dependencies after all. I will check with dependency walker anyway.
sounds like you have some compatibility flags entered on that program in the registry or something. if youre running AV software, that can have similar symptoms
So dependency walker showed me that an error was occuring with d8input.dll. It turns out a USB hub made Desmume crash for some reason. I unplugged it and Desmume run fine. I have no idea why it worked when moved to a particular subfolder, though.
Thanks for your help!
Wow, you got lucky. That particular bug could not have been exposed by any error condition in dinput8.dll shown in dependency walker. It coincidentally pointed you in the right direction. Well, glad you solved it. By the way, USB hubs are almost always garbage... I ... would not have thought to blame it for this, but it's never wrong to blame it for anything, at least for as long as it takes to verify it.