You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2017-02-02 09:01:22

Theroux

Save States vs Normal in-game saving?

I started getting back into Pokémon platinum and I've been using 1 save state file for all my progress. I have in-game saved several times but never loaded the game manually (also when I try to it just starts the game new...can't find the file?).

What I'm wondering is, is this smart? I've read some people say that you should in-game save rather than use save states. I don't use states to cheat, though I have reloaded a couple times from brief screw ups. Any confirmation or advice?

#2 2017-02-03 02:28:25

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Save States vs Normal in-game saving?

If booting the game and trying to load the in-game save results in a new game, then you've screwed up your pokemon session, your desmume, or youre not running desmume from a directory on your desktop, or your security software is interfering.

it's perfectly fine to use one savestate. you should also in-game save, and you should also make plenty of backups.

#3 2017-02-04 02:07:27

Theroux

Alright well the in game save is coming up now. Not sure what I changed. Also I am currently doing both, though relying on the state a little more. Sometimes when going Underground it will disconnect and not save anything from after the initial save.

I've been trying to use the Universal Pokemon Randomizer to turn off trade evolutions to no avail. I still don't know if you can load your save file or save state from the randomized rom. When I try the game freezes when I enter a building or open the menu, though I'm doing almost everything right.

I have one folder on my desktop titled 'Pokemon' and 2 folders for both Desmume and UPR. I don't think it matters where the randomized ROM is saved. Sure wish I was better at this stuff though.

#4 2017-02-04 02:18:54

zeromus
Radical Ninja

"it will disconnect" I'm sorry your PC is haunted.
Keep in mind if you load a savestate from before you in-game saved, then the in-game save will now reflect the last save you made at the point when you made that savestate.

I don't know whether you can load an in-game save file when using a randomized rom but I assure you, you can't use a savestate made on a different rom. It will malfunction nicely.

#5 2017-02-04 16:22:12

Theroux

I'll say lel. Not sure why I get that error when there's no wifi connection anyways. Probably just a glitch.

This part is obvious enough even for me to know. My save state is always at least after the in game save.

Also makes logical sense. I'll try loading the randomizer from the in game save. Someone also suggested changing the name and extension of the randomized ROM file to match the battery save's name.

#6 2017-02-04 20:44:53

zeromus
Radical Ninja

well, if you have different names for your vanilla rom and your randomized roms, you will 100% positively have to rename the save files (or the roms) in order to get desmume to pick up the right save file for the rom (the filenames have to match)

Board footer