You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2016-11-08 19:50:22

slyv

Sound Issue with AC:WW

Hey guys, for the past day or so I have been trying to get AC:WW to work sound-wise. I really don't care about having minor graphical issues, but the sound is very important in animal crossing to me. Im sure anyone that likes the series would understand why.

So far I have fixed all issues except ONE strange issue that won't fix, no matter how much I change the settings, try new or old versions or Desmume, anything. I've even tried windows compatibility settings.

When loading before the menu screen, or entering or exiting a building, there is a LOUD popping or crackling sound, either that or the sound from seconds before repeats. (On the menu screen, when it says "nintendo", and then fades to black, you will hear a stuttering "doh--doh"). Currently I am using DeSmuMe 9.11, though I have tried the newest official nightly build as well a few of the older versions (sorry I cannot remember which specifically). Maybe if it was just this kind of thing I could bear with it, but the fact that there's also the loud crackling every once and a while that nearly gives me a heart attack is what makes it unplayable with sound. And I really would rather not play without it.

I have tried EVERY sound setting possible. The only thing I can think of that might fix it in the sound settings is changing the buffer size if that has anything to do with it, but I've fiddled around with that as well. Maybe there's a magical number that will fix it though. I've googled this over and over again, and no answers that work have come up. Someone had the exact issue as me on a ticket form, but it got closed without any sort of answer because someone said 'well it works for me'. Sorry if i sound bitter about that part but you can imagine my frustration!!!!

I'm on windows 10. I use a NVIDIA sound card, i believe (but i might be wrong on that im not used to getting system information, tryin' my best here)

ANY advice you could give me would be helpful...sorry for bustin' in here, but this forum is basically my last hope. I suppose theres always new leaf, but i wanted to experience the nostalgia.

#2 2016-11-09 00:19:52

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Sound Issue with AC:WW

looks like the game resets its sound engine periodically. when this happens it's very clear because the sound capture engine turns off and then back on. also when this happens, some sound effects which were previously playing keyon again. this could be caused by a bug in desmume's handling of which registers trigger keyons. It's easy to reproduce in NINTENDO (3 different sound effects, oddly) and within the first minute of gameplay when entering the first building.

#3 2016-11-09 12:05:18

fintogive
Website

ah you too? i forgot about that issue.  im not completely sure what causes it but i think the sound over laps or something or simply a timing issue.

i figures it had been look at before (and considered un fixable at the time) so i never brought it up here.

im glad you brought it up though. maybe this issue can be fixed?

#4 2016-11-10 03:49:52

slyv

Thanks to the both of you for replying. I hope this can be fixed, i would really like that. Its not a world ender, and Desmume is still great - but, love me some animal crossing and would love it even more if the emulation with that rom didnt have this problem.

#5 2016-11-10 07:03:12

zeromus
Radical Ninja

fixed in r5573 (probably broken in r3299 from january 2010 by me)

#6 2016-11-12 23:22:09

fintogive
Website

cool its working good now. thanks for the fix!  btw wile we are on the topic ive noticed that clouds when there passing by on the upper screen appear to be rendered in their native resolution when on HD settings.  this could be normal. but i thought id point that out. and if its something that can be fixed or not.

Last edited by fintogive (2016-11-12 23:24:44)

#7 2016-11-13 05:10:04

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Seriously? If you're going to start asking "why is X in hd but Y is not?" then you need to learn how to distinguish a 2D scene from a 3D scene. Begin by turning off 3d and see what happens.

#8 2016-11-13 07:38:18

slyv

Thank you very much for the fix! Works for me too!

#9 2016-11-13 12:55:39

fintogive
Website

zeromus wrote:

Seriously? If you're going to start asking "why is X in hd but Y is not?" then you need to learn how to distinguish a 2D scene from a 3D scene. Begin by turning off 3d and see what happens.

I can usually...  Thats why i said this maybe normal.  I figured it might be a clever way of making it appear it was a 3d layer with cloud textures scrolling. but it a 2d layer with the clouds growing vertically and moving up and to the side slightly.  Anather words its a good illusion of being a 3d appearance.

So never mind.

Board footer