You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2016-09-16 22:21:05

PeasantX

Pokemon SS Desmume Safe State Problem

Hello People,

I currently have a very dumb problem which I basically created for myself.
So here´s the short summary: I started a new Nutzlocke with Soulsilver on the latest stable Desmume 09.11 but forgot to delete my old safe file due to having not touched it in a longer time and just randomly picking up one of my older safe states from an earlier run. So I worked my way to the league with safe states. And the old safe file can only be deleted in the opening menu.
But the Problem is that after defeating the champ the game will reset itself meaning it boots form the title screen again and since I never deleted the old save file I can only start that game with that same file again after the poke-league outro ended.
I alrdy tried to just delete the dsv in the battery folder but due to having to load the safe state again if I want to access the game before the league champ it will just recreate the old safe file again meaning I wont be able to safe ingame due to still having a safe file that must be manually deleated in the opening screen.

So is there any way to remove the old safe file viva a hack maybe or is there a way to turn the safe state .dst into a safe file. dsv and get the loaded state to regonize the converted state as safe file of the game? (highly doubt it cause whenever i load the state it will still create the old safe file and I alrdy tried with "safe as...." , renaming the state as dsv and moving it in the battery folder to get the state to use that one as file which it didnt due to recreating the old safe file upon loading ).

P.S.: Running Desume on Windows 10 64 bit and I release that there are points covering that in the FAQ, but having a ray of hope I thought I would ask regardless to get a "less rude" response that isn´t "f you" all up in my face.
       (Looking through some other posts with similar problems I alrdy think that I can asume this run as officially "broken and can never be fixed." But as they say "the hope dies last")

Last edited by PeasantX (2016-09-16 23:18:55)

#2 2016-09-16 23:23:43

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Pokemon SS Desmume Safe State Problem

The emulator can't bail you out from your mistake in ignoring the warning. You can't make the game lose its save file by deleting the .dsv or anything else in the emulator's business. The game has a flag set in its memory that says "this user elected to forfeit the ability to save." The only way you could fix this is by hacking the game while it runs to delete that flag. (this is impossible except for a guru with 10 years experience hacking games)

#3 2016-09-16 23:41:35

PeasantX

As I said: I didn´t ignore the warning I was just flat out forgetting that a file alrdy existed due to not having launched desmue in a long time (for understandable reasons with how buggy it is) and hosting a safestate I created a longer time ago. That is not called "ignoring" but plain lack of memory which is "forgetting".
I thought as much but wanted to make sure regardless. Seems like these kind of games are better off just being played on the system they were meant to be played on and sadly I don´t have the expertise of a 10 year experince hacker to delete the flag while the state is running with the memory of me using to not be able to safe .
Oh well, maybe I feel like doing a run on it in a year or so again than all that salt over the wasted hours has settled down and I got my sets all set up in sun and moon, thanks regardless.

Last edited by PeasantX (2016-09-16 23:45:24)

#4 2016-09-17 21:47:42

zeromus
Radical Ninja

There's a certain logic to this situation. I endeavoured to explain it with the flag. Maybe you forgot, but you also ignored. You forgot you ignored. It isn't possible to get into this situation without seeing the warning message.  It sounds like you're trying to explain that somehow you got in this situation simply by forgetting. That's not possible. It's the warning screen that creates the flag.

#5 2016-09-18 01:34:05

PeasantX

I think I explained very uncomplicated how I got in this situation and the case is solved anyways. It may be so that the state had a safe file laying below it because it was never supposed to turn into a run and it was my mistake for forgetting about that, but I won´t let u tell me that i was bluntly "irgnoring" the warning. "Ignoring" is always a conscious decision taken by someone with the knowldge about the consequense the ignorance could bring and I didn´t choose to consiously pick up a safe state with a safefile under it, so yes I´m trying to sound like I simply got into this situation by forgetting because that´s just how it was since I lagged the memory that there was alrdy a file under it and neither could have seen the warning again due to alrdy being at the starter choice point.  Of course If you want to be nitpicky about it u can state that I choose, at about half a year ago, to proceed with a new game in which I ignored the warning, cause I never planned to use it for a run back then, and due to that am now in this situation.  But to me your articulation sounds an aweful lot like you are acusing me to have maliciously ignored it which I clearly didn´t and that ruffles me up abit. Netherless this is drifting off topic, the situation is resloved so lets leave it at that and farewell.

Last edited by PeasantX (2016-09-18 01:35:53)

#6 2016-09-18 05:34:27

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Well, +1 for a refreshing philosophy of what it means to ignore consciously heedless of consequences. It is interesting that the action which occurred in the past was not really a reckless ignoring, since the consequences may not have been relevant at the time. In this case your only mistake was indeed the forgetting. It seems you do understand the situation quite well and I accept your rebuke. Sorry things didn't work out for you.

Board footer