You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2016-04-23 04:13:30

fintogive
Website

double poly count for 3D models in game

Ok.  i know this one is pretty far fetched but since the texture mappers got texscale GL option for better quality textures.  Can the same be done with models to smooth them out?

#2 2016-04-23 07:46:48

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: double poly count for 3D models in game

absolutely not. no algorithm can grow fingers out of a model's club hands.

#3 2016-04-23 08:27:55

fintogive
Website

so something like this is impossible?
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/ori … -ChsSw.png

well its the best example i could find.  i meant more poly means better looking 3d models.

But if that not possible then i understand. i figured it wouldn't be lol. someone else suggested that to me on youtube.

#4 2016-04-23 10:19:11

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Well, you could "smooth" out models. Just buff off the corners, and youll be left with things that look like little turds. You won't like the results.  That's the opposite of texture upscaling, which invents details which are either assuming an awful lot about the spritey nature of the input, or functioning as little more than edge enhancement--and some people just like senselessly enhanced edges (televisions have a slider for edge enhancement and they don't default to disabled). I know it seems odd that adding polygons is equivalent to removing detail, but imagine blur-upscaling a texture--it's more rounded, isn't it?

You could invent polygons in a method analogous to inventing texels for texture upscaling, but that's going to be someone's PHD thesis. It isn't easy. Four texels are all the same size and can meet only at one kind of corner, but several polys can be an infinite number of sizes and meet in an infinite variety of corners. How about if you can find anyone who's figured out how to invent fake 3d details, then you can post it here, and someone who isn't any of us can implement it so you can say 'man, that looks like dicks'

#5 2016-04-24 03:56:34

fintogive
Website

look like turds? lol  they would look like blow up balloons imo. i dont know any one that would know how to do that so i guess im out of luck...

Board footer