You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2016-02-10 09:41:54

Paprika2215

[OSX] White screen when loading rom! What now?!

Hi there,

I've got a problem with DeSmuME. When I load a rom (in this particular case, it's "Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story"), I only get this white screen, immediately after loading the rom. Now, I've already Googled it (with the exception of dogs, Google is a man's best friend tongue) and it seems this has been happening to a lot of people as of late. Most often it happens when someone loads a rom of a Pokémon game, but that's not the case for me.

I have to admit, I'm not technical at all. I've checked the Preferences menu, but not a single setting there sounded even remotely familiar to me. I have absolutely no idea what things like "dynamic recompiler" or "rigorous 3D level timing" mean. So I'm hoping someone here can talk me through it, and help me fix this problem.

If anyone would be so kind, I'd very much appreciate it!

Ah, before I forget, here are some important details that might make it easier for you to help me. I'm using a Macbook Pro, with OS X El Capitan, and DeSmuME v0.9.11, which is the latest version, as far as I know.

Thanks a lot in advance! smile

#2 2016-02-10 19:00:34

rogerman

Re: [OSX] White screen when loading rom! What now?!

Did you try using the Emulation > Execute menu option?

By default, DeSmuME will execute the emulation after loading a ROM. However, this is an option that can be turned off. If you go to DeSmuME > Preferences, under General Behavior, make sure that "Automatically execute emulation when loading a ROM" is checked. The reason why people get these so-called "white screen problems" is because they accidentally turn this option off, and then they don't understand how an emulator operates and don't see the execution controls in the Emulation menu.  In general, if you don't understand what some of the options do, be sure to hover the mouse over them and read the tooltips.

And since you're playing Bowser's Inside Story, here's a tip: Play this game with Advanced Bus-Level Timing enabled and using the Interpreter engine. Otherwise, the game may freeze in the middle of the game, such as during the Midbus fight.

#3 2016-02-12 12:55:41

Paprika2215

Re: [OSX] White screen when loading rom! What now?!

Thanks for your response. I have done everything you suggested, and while I still don't understand how all of these functions work, the game is now running pretty smoothly, with only a few sound effects sounding a bit wonky (like a radio station with bad reception, it sounds like static).

So yeah, your advice got me past the point where the game kept freezing! I'm really grateful. Thanks! big_smile I'll be sure to hit these forums later if I run into any other issues. Additionally, if I encounter the white screen again at a different point in the game, I'll just refer back to this same topic.

Board footer