You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2014-03-19 08:54:43

Ba'alzamon

Got stuck on infinite space and using single save state...

I was playing Infinite Space and saved the state in the middle of a pirate lair and I have 2 options "go right" and "go left" but both options give me a game over because I fall into a pit and die. I found on a faq that I needed to speak to OG-Dog in another planets tavern before entering to avoid this and I have no way of getting back without loading a much, much older state.

My question is: How can I (if possible) roll my state back to a previous date/time?

If you're wondering I have got a save in-game but it's all the way back at the beginning of CH2: Yuri the man, I really don't wanna start again if I don't have to..

Edit: I'm using desmume version 0.9.10

Last edited by Ba'alzamon (2014-03-19 08:57:11)

#2 2014-03-19 16:59:40

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Got stuck on infinite space and using single save state...

by using savestates, youve overwritten the contents of an older file with a newer one. only your operating system or backup program can recover old files.

#3 2014-03-19 17:01:02

alvinhochun

If you didn't make a savestate, then you can't. IIRC DeSmuME does not support rewinding (seems that it was once implemented but nobody maintained it so it got scrapped).

But well, that's a game and it is meant to be played like that. Think using savestates as cheating and you'll feel better smile

#4 2014-03-19 18:45:40

Ba'alzamon

alvinhochun wrote:

If you didn't make a savestate, then you can't. IIRC DeSmuME does not support rewinding (seems that it was once implemented but nobody maintained it so it got scrapped).

But well, that's a game and it is meant to be played like that. Think using savestates as cheating and you'll feel better smile

Maybe cheating but it still won't recover the hours I'll lose getting back to where I was, and trying my best to remember all my module setups on each ship, let alone my crew configuration..

#5 2014-03-20 06:30:06

zeromus
Radical Ninja

rewinding is irrelevant to the current discussion.

#6 2014-03-20 07:15:25

ff11

zeromus wrote:

rewinding is irrelevant to the current discussion.

I think it is. Because nobody want to maintain the code, it's more one proof that we already know the importance of make backups. And now, someone else is learning that too ^^

Ba'alzamon wrote:
alvinhochun wrote:

Maybe cheating but it still won't recover the hours I'll lose getting back to where I was, and trying my best to remember all my module setups on each ship, let alone my crew configuration..

You should be happy that is happening to you on one game, not in your work that you use to feed your family. I'm a dev too, and I learned the importance of make backups playing games. Now, all games I play, have a lot of backups saves (for many important parts), even on console you can use backups cards. And on my work, I have subversion, git and many more for save and backup every single step I do, and I can go back and review all, anytime I want. By the way, you can use subversion or git on your game saves too (it's a beautiful thing to do, you can write very goods comments on each commit). I feel very sad when I see someone else neglecting backups, and I feel happy when someone else learn about the importance and make good use of it. So now I can say: Welcome to the team (of the people that can't live well without extensive backups like subversion, git...).

#7 2014-03-20 17:20:43

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Your thinking doesn't matter. Rewinding wont help going to a "much, much older state". It's useful chiefly for starting levels over or trying jumps across pits again.

#8 2014-03-20 19:51:48

ff11

zeromus wrote:

Your thinking doesn't matter. Rewinding wont help going to a "much, much older state". It's useful chiefly for starting levels over or trying jumps across pits again.

Well, I still keep my recommendation for the Ba'alzamon to use subversion or git on the save files (and the Rewinding code state like one motivation for this).

Board footer