You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2012-08-31 10:24:42

Tallgeese

Bowser's Inside Story (Dynamic Recompiler Freeze) [Save Provided]

Up to at least Revision 4393, a boss battle of Bowser's Inside Story (US version) cannot be completed if the dynamic recompiler is enabled.

When the battle begins, and if Advanced Bus Level Timing is disabled, the bottom half of each screen is swapped with each other. It will freeze after Fawful states "He is having a big punch!".

If both Advanced Bus Level Timing and the dynamic recompiler are enabled, the bottom quarter of both screens will be swapped and the freeze occurs.

The battle will proceed normally only if Advanced Bus Level Timing is enabled and the dynamic recompiler is disabled. If this is the case, no graphical glitch will present itself. Thus, it appears that in this case, the dynamic recompiler breaks Advanced Bus Level Timing.

Contrary to earlier reports about this issue, sound settings are irrelevant.

I have provided an SRAM save here; walk rightwards across the stone platform as Bowser to the next screen and get through the conversation in order to trigger the battle.

I hope this is useful.

#2 2012-08-31 16:32:02

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Bowser's Inside Story (Dynamic Recompiler Freeze) [Save Provided]

i think thats the same spot bowser's inside story has always crashed, when it crashes. its really picky about the timing there. how do the sound settings make a difference? its hard to believe.

#3 2012-08-31 17:54:50

Tallgeese

There's two freeze spots I think; this is the earlier one.

Some people claimed that they managed to fix the issue by messing with sound settings.  I couldn't imagine them mattering either, but I checked anyway to make sure, and clearly they do not.

I pretty much just checked in because of the whole "dynamic recompiler seems to mess with Advanced Bus Level Timing" aspect of it. The dynamic recompiler option implies that it's expected to have some fixable bugs, so I figured the save might help you with debugging.

Last edited by Tallgeese (2012-08-31 18:51:00)

#4 2013-10-18 12:37:50

Franpa
Website

Sounds identical to what I experienced during the first unavoidable fight between Bowser and that Block dudes dog (A fairly early encounter in the game). Same circumstances as well, problem vanishes by disabling the dynamic recompiler. I also tried adjusting the recompiler accuracy slider to various points before starting the game and it still happened.

I no longer have a appropriate save game to demonstrate it though.

USA ROM, DeSmuME_0.9.9_x86.exe

Last edited by Franpa (2013-10-18 12:41:36)

Computer specifications:
Windows 10 x64 | Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFI) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | Nvidia Geforce 1070Ti

Board footer