You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2013-04-11 09:54:31

Tethius

Joined only to request seperate screen sizes

I would really appreciate it if you would implement a feature to separate the two windows and make each one individually resizable in the windows version.  I've done a little research and there seems to be a sort of arrogant, snide view to such an infinitely useful feature.  I love desmume, and prefer its emulation over no$gba BUT since the no$gba/no$zoomer allows me to separate and resize the two screens, I find myself using an inferior emulator that I don't want to use for a simple, basic feature.

I am currently playing through Pokemon SoulSilver, and if I could, I would play single screen, in full screen mode and use page down key to switch between the two screens when needed, but the battles force you to use the bottom screen, making that option a huge pain. This is also annoying in FF games and countless others where it just displays basic info/buttons.  I am now forced to use two screens being show at once, and since you cant really make the screen large enough when there stacked top to bottom, I have them set with the top screen on the left, and bottom on the right, to make the screens larger in general, but then that results in me having to focus on the very most left part of my monitor when playing, the entire time.  It detracts from the gaming experience, its constantly annoying, and destroys any sense of immersion.   The only time I even need to look at the right half of the screen is during combat, just to select a command, so at least 60-70 percent of the time, my screen is being cut in half by information I do not need, and generally am not interacting with at all, its just a giant waste of space.

[                       ]                          ]
[                       ]                          ]             This is my monitor screen....
[                       ]                          ]          50% of my screen is not being utilized 60-70% of the time.  I am forced to look at just one half of my entire monitor                         
[_____________]_______________]          while the other half constantly shows the same lame menu/picture/buttons.   This is not enjoyable, at all.

top                         bottom
(actual game)      (menus, buttons, maps, etc...)

How much better would it be if I could separate these screen, and make the bottom screen small and off to the side, so that I can fully enjoy the screen where all the graphics and gameplay actually take place?  A fuckton times better, clearly, obviously, without question.

[                                            ]
[                                            ]                                   my screen, again...only this time....
[                                            ]
[                                            ]___              Do you see why this would be so much better for the majority of DS games?
[                                            ]     ]
[_________________________]___]
                top screen                  ^bottom (maps, menus, redundant information display, touch button commands i never use if i can just press key...)

I have taken the time to crudely illustrate the obvious because based on what I've read, such a feature seems irrelevant to the developers, for some reason, leaving me to wonder if they actually play games on their emulator, and can understand the perspective of a gamer who values immersion, full screen capabilities and not wasting half the screen just to play a handheld game in a decent size.  The only reason I emulate DS is because I personally HATE playing awesome games on tiny screens I have to hold up to my face to feel like I'm apart of it, so the larger screen is the only reason I and others, even chose to emulate.  I could buy a ds if I wanted but I do not for this very reason.

Please add  this feature for windows, and not just for mac. I'm sick of using no$gba and no$zoomer because, aside from that ONE SINGLE FEATURE, it is inferior in every other way.  Please implement this asap, like, start working on it now, release it as a small update, there doesn't have to be stability/compatibility updates, just release this one single feature by itself if it means sooner rather than later, and a lot of people would be very satisfied.   Thank you, it would be greatly appreciated!  If it is problematic, consider it a challenge to your programming ability!   I know it can't be that hard.

Last edited by Tethius (2013-04-11 09:54:54)

#2 2013-04-11 09:59:45

Tethius

Re: Joined only to request seperate screen sizes

I signed up just to post this, and just so you know, your prove that your human questions are retarded.  I had to google for the answer and for some reason it didn't accept the answer the first couple of times.  Really unecessary.  Ask a more simple question that falls within the realm of general human knowledge, and not something like the codename for the system, or the abbreviation for the cpu the system uses.  Really, common sense.

#3 2013-04-11 12:05:11

Tethius

If you do not plan on putting emphasis on implementing this feature in the near future please let me know so I can just force myself to get over it and abandon your emulator all together to use something inferior for one simple feature, and tell everyone I know that no$gba is better simply because of the...

screen
resize
options

How stupid would that be, really?  Pretty fucking stupid if you ask me.

Yes, the actual screen the game takes place in is pretty relevant to most people, whether they post here or not, and I'm sure lots of people have already abandoned supporting this emulator and moved on to no$ or ideas, which is a shame really, since desmume is clearly the best one in every other regard.

Screen size IS important, Resizing IS important.  The fact that I'm willing to use inferior emulators JUST for increased customization is proof that it should not be overlooked or shrugged off like no big deal.  It is.

#4 2013-04-11 17:22:18

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Nobody I know of plans on putting emphasis on implementing this feature in the near future.  The reason is that the code in the windows port which manages the organization and layout of the screens was designed poorly and is close to collapsing already as-is, and this feature can't be added without rewriting the whole thing, or without adding lots of bugs.

Then again, it might happen any day, since it is an open source project and anybody can contribute if they have the skills and the interest.

#5 2013-04-11 23:56:31

Squall Leonhart

If you do not plan on putting emphasis on implementing this feature in the near future please let me know so I can just force myself to get over it and abandon your emulator all together to use something inferior for one simple feature, and tell everyone I know that no$gba is better simply because of the...

screen
resize
options

How stupid would that be, really?  Pretty fucking stupid if you ask me.

Yeah...... I was already losing the ability to care with your first post, your third just sealed the deal.

lets NOT add this to desmume just to spite this guy.

anyone has a problem with it, private message Tethius with your complaints.

But seriously, like zeromus said above, its not that there's no desire to implement this, because that's not the case, it's that the current state of the code just doesn't allow it.

Tethius wrote:

I signed up just to post this, and just so you know, your prove that your human questions are retarded.  I had to google for the answer and for some reason it didn't accept the answer the first couple of times.  Really unecessary.  Ask a more simple question that falls within the realm of general human knowledge, and not something like the codename for the system, or the abbreviation for the cpu the system uses.  Really, common sense.

Good to see that it is indeed doing its job properly.

I don't consider a person human if they can't google.

Last edited by Squall Leonhart (2013-04-12 00:03:54)

#6 2013-04-12 10:19:51

Manivo
Awesome Possum

A+ thread, would read again.

Board footer